Intelligent Design threat to evolutionists

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Why do so many evolutionists feel threatened by Intelligent Design Theory?

If you read the letters to the editor by evolutionists, you will find that evolution today is no longer a science but a fundamentalist, close-minded religion (Jim Stone letter, July 13, "Intelligent Design old, false argument").

The reason the fundamentalist evolutionists become so upset with competing theories is not because it threatens their science, but it threatens their faith.

If you want to test this idea, just make this statement to any fundamentalist evolutionist: "I do not believe evolution as presented." Notice I did not say I do not believe in evolution, only that I do not believe their theories. You will find people such as Mr. Stone will call you a heathen, a blasphemer and an infidel. Sound familiar?

Evolution as practiced today has become a right-wing, close-minded fundamentalist religion. If you do not convert you will be persecuted. If evolution is a real science I could question it without persecution. In academics, if I question established ideas, I am considered intellectual, except for evolution.

Here is how science works today. You make a discovery, then you make up a story about evolution that sounds like it could have happened. If I discover something about genetics, I am forced by the science establishment to make up a story about how evolution did this. The real irony about this is that evolutionists laugh at silly Bible stories, while their stories about evolution sound as ridiculous as genetic mutations will turn us all into Spiderman and X Men one day.

It is the responsibility of evolutionists to present a theory that I can accept. It is not my responsibility to just believe. If your theories about evolution are so weak that no one believes you, then it is your fault. The reason you are losing the debate is you have taken the science of evolution and turned it into just one of those old, prehistoric religions of worshiping stones, animals, celestial bodies etc.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/072305/opi_view002.shtml

-Cp said:
Why do so many evolutionists feel threatened by Intelligent Design Theory?

If you read the letters to the editor by evolutionists, you will find that evolution today is no longer a science but a fundamentalist, close-minded religion (Jim Stone letter, July 13, "Intelligent Design old, false argument").

The reason the fundamentalist evolutionists become so upset with competing theories is not because it threatens their science, but it threatens their faith.

If you want to test this idea, just make this statement to any fundamentalist evolutionist: "I do not believe evolution as presented." Notice I did not say I do not believe in evolution, only that I do not believe their theories. You will find people such as Mr. Stone will call you a heathen, a blasphemer and an infidel. Sound familiar?

Evolution as practiced today has become a right-wing, close-minded fundamentalist religion. If you do not convert you will be persecuted. If evolution is a real science I could question it without persecution. In academics, if I question established ideas, I am considered intellectual, except for evolution.

Here is how science works today. You make a discovery, then you make up a story about evolution that sounds like it could have happened. If I discover something about genetics, I am forced by the science establishment to make up a story about how evolution did this. The real irony about this is that evolutionists laugh at silly Bible stories, while their stories about evolution sound as ridiculous as genetic mutations will turn us all into Spiderman and X Men one day.

It is the responsibility of evolutionists to present a theory that I can accept. It is not my responsibility to just believe. If your theories about evolution are so weak that no one believes you, then it is your fault. The reason you are losing the debate is you have taken the science of evolution and turned it into just one of those old, prehistoric religions of worshiping stones, animals, celestial bodies etc.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/072305/opi_view002.shtml

So now evolution is a religion...what a wanker! :wank:

MissileMan said:
So now evolution is a religion...what a wanker! :wank:

It is... Evolutionists could easily fall under this definition of religion:

"A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion".

-Cp said:
It is... Evolutionists could easily fall under this definition of religion:

"A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion".

I don't know anyone who pursues evolution with zeal or conscientious devotion (I suppose there are a few scientists in the field who might). I know lots of people, myself included, who will argue against ID and creationism, but that is a different matter altogether. Evolution is a theory, period. There is no "evolutionist" movement. The movements are "ID" and "Creationism".

MissileMan said:
I don't know anyone who pursues evolution with zeal or conscientious devotion (I suppose there are a few scientists in the field who might). I know lots of people, myself included, who will argue against ID and creationism, but that is a different matter altogether. Evolution is a theory, period. There is no "evolutionist" movement. The movements are "ID" and "Creationism".

You must live under a rock. Try telling Powerman and Nucular that evolution is just a thory, and that's just two people on this message board. I see people every day who I swear would use thumbscrews to make you believe evolution if they thought they could get away with it. However, I don't think it's a movement in and of itself. It's a tenet of the secular progressive doctrine. Evolution, atheism, and abortion are sacrosanct and they shove it down everyone else's throat as fact. If you haven't seen this, you really need to get out more.

Hobbit said:
You must live under a rock. Try telling Powerman and Nucular that evolution is just a thory, and that's just two people on this message board. I see people every day who I swear would use thumbscrews to make you believe evolution if they thought they could get away with it. However, I don't think it's a movement in and of itself. It's a tenet of the secular progressive doctrine. Evolution, atheism, and abortion are sacrosanct and they shove it down everyone else's throat as fact. If you haven't seen this, you really need to get out more.

Refute this. When insects develop a resistance to pesticides it is because they have evolved. Evolution is not a mystery. It can be observed around us every day.

Or do you prefer to think gods redesign insects on a regular basis to make them resistant to the pesticide?
:blowup:

Hobbit said:

JUST a theory? I theory in science is not like a theory outside of science. Perhaps you would do well by educating yourself about the situation. Did you know that gravity and magnetism are JUST theories? Evolution happened, that is a fact. The only difference between a theory and a law in science is that a theory is much more complex is constantly being evolved(pardon the pun) to better explain HOW it happened. Creation science or intelligent design is regarded as an obsolete scientific theory that was never widely accepted. Evolution on the other hand is widely accepted in the scientific community as fact. Everything I just stated is completely factual.

"Have you ever noticed that the people who don't believe in evolution are the least evolved? Give us our thumbs!"

"I have a one word answer to those who don't believe in evolution -- dinosaurs. Where did all the dinosaur fossils come from?

--Bill Hicks, the funniest man who ever lived

"I have a one word answer to those who don't believe in evolution -- dinosaurs. Where did all the dinosaur fossils come from?

That's a good question. I'll give you a better one. If we didn't evolve then why aren't there fossils of modern humans that date back to the times of the dinosaurs or even our ancestors?

Gabriella84 said:

They say God and Jesus made the dinosaur fossils to trick infidels into thinking that dinosaurs existed. It's a test of faith.

Nucular, you're being asinine. You know as well as I that micro-evolution and macroevolution are two very different things. Species jumping evolution has never been close to proven.

Powerman, it has become clear by your posts that you ignore all evidence. I have stated before that gravity and magnetism are laws. They are seen every day and are in plain view. Species jumping evolution and other origin theories, such as the big bang, are no better than speculation and deserve no equivalence in fact. I will say no more to this effect unless you show that you are not going to simply ignore it as you always have. If you continue to viciously lash out with nothing more than "It's true because science says so," at every attempt to poke holes in evolution, you will find yourself on my ignore list, a regrettable, but necessary step. Science has been wrong many times in the past. You would do well not to treat it as omnitient.

Hobbit said:
Nucular, you're being asinine. You know as well as I that micro-evolution and macroevolution are two very different things.

Excuse me, you are saying that evolution is a fact, but only on a limited basis?

I have stated before that gravity and magnetism are laws.

Then you are either ignorant or you are a liar. Do you even know anything about magnetism or gravity or how they work. Ever heard of maxwell's set of equations? There are still people doing tons of research today trying to figure out exactly HOW magnetism and gravity work. And that is why they are theories. You might learn something from me if you listen enough.

Powerman said:
I have stated before that gravity and magnetism are laws.

Then you are either ignorant or you are a liar. Do you even know anything about magnetism or gravity or how they work. Ever heard of maxwell's set of equations? There are still people doing tons of research today trying to figure out exactly HOW magnetism and gravity work. And that is why they are theories. You might learn something from me if you listen enough.

It doesn't have to be fully understood to be a law. Newton's laws of motion, at their base, are so complicated that it'll be centuries before we really know how they work, yet they're laws. Oh, and as for my sources, I've had advanced college physics courses and have a close and personal friend with a Ph.D.

Furthermore, you've insulted me for the last time. You refuse to listen to reason, spout of angrily at everything I say, and split hair for your own self-satisfaction. You can join nucular on my ignore list.

Oh, and as for my sources, I've had advanced college physics courses and have a close and personal friend with a Ph.D.

----------------
Sounds like bullshit to me. Why don't you link some sources for me. I can promise you that gravity and magnetism are both theories. I've probably taken as many advanced courses on the topics as you have. You aren't talking to some liberal idiot here with a poli sci degree. I hate to disappoint you but I won't fall for bullshit.

www.google.com
www.answers.com
www.wikipedia.com

Use a credible source and look up the theories of magentism and gravity. If they weren't theories I wouldn't say they were. I don't make shit up like you do.

Powerman said:
Oh, and as for my sources, I've had advanced college physics courses and have a close and personal friend with a Ph.D.

----------------
Sounds like bullshit to me. Why don't you link some sources for me. I can promise you that gravity and magnetism are both theories. I've probably taken as many advanced courses on the topics as you have. You aren't talking to some liberal idiot here with a poli sci degree. I hate to disappoint you but I won't fall for bullshit.

www.google.com
www.answers.com
www.wikipedia.com

Use a credible source and look up the theories of magentism and gravity. If they weren't theories I wouldn't say they were. I don't make shit up like you do.

They hate even the most elementary science on this board. It's a perfect example of the anti-intellectualism that's destroying America. America is NOT supposed to be dumb.

Gabriella84 said:
"Have you ever noticed that the people who don't believe in evolution are the least evolved? Give us our thumbs!"

It’s sad but true—dinosaurs are probably used more than anything else in an attempt to convince children and adults alike that evolution is fact. So much so, that for many, the words “dinosaur” and “evolution” are almost synonymous.

Over the years, I have been asked numerous times to explain how dinosaurs “fit with the Bible”. However, you don’t “fit” dinosaurs with the Bible. You see, what most people do is take man’s fallible interpretations of the bones that are found and somehow try to fit these into the Bible.

But the Bible is, among other things, a book of real history. God has revealed to us the major events of history from the beginning of time to enable us to build a way of thinking to understand the universe.

When one accepts the history timeline as outlined in Scripture, it is easy to explain dinosaurs. When one understands that land animals (including dinosaurs) were made on the sixth day of creation—that there was no death (of animals or man) or disease (there are dinosaur bones that show evidence of diseases like cancer) before sin—that all the land animal kinds (including dinosaurs) were on the Ark—and that many animal groups (including dinosaurs) have died out since the Flood (because sin, the curse, and the Flood affected the world)—then it’s easy to explain the history of dinosaurs.

Also, there is a lot of evidence (such as carvings and paintings of dinosaur-like creatures)—and (unfossilized) dinosaur bone with red blood cells—that makes sense in the light of the biblical account of history. Did you know that a dinosaur may be described in detail in the Bible? Check out Job 40:15–19. And if the notes in your Bible state that this animal was an elephant or hippo, read the passage again to see that this can’t be so.

Did you know the word “dinosaur” was first invented in 1841? Dinosaurs were probably called “dragons” before that time. And the Hebrew word for “dragon” is used a number of times in the Old Testament. There are also dragon legends prevalent in cultures around the world. It’s possible these are accounts of encounters with beasts we today call dinosaurs.

The reason many Christians have been unable to give answers about dinosaurs is because they have tried to “fit” them into the Bible—instead of using the Bible and its true account of history to explain them.

Gabriella84 said:

Fyi - cause I know you don't read the Bible, here the passage referenced in my last post:

Job 40:
15 "Look at the behemoth, [a]
which I made along with you
and which feeds on grass like an ox.

16 What strength he has in his loins,
what power in the muscles of his belly!

17 His tail sways like a cedar;
the sinews of his thighs are close-knit.

18 His bones are tubes of bronze,
his limbs like rods of iron.

19 He ranks first among the works of God,
yet his Maker can approach him with his sword.

They say God and Jesus made the dinosaur fossils to trick infidels into thinking that dinosaurs existed. It's a test of faith.

"Are you saying that God planted those dinosaur fossils to test our faith? Does that trouble anyone here? The fact that God may be fucking with our heads? I have trouble sleeping with that knowledge. Some prankster God running around ... Ha ho ho, we'll see who believes in me now. I am the prankster God!"
Let's see, you die and go to St. Peter:
"Do you believe in dinosaurs?"
"Well, yeah, there was fossils everywhere..."
"Wrong!" (sound of trap door opening)
"aughhhhh......"
"You idiot! God was fuckin' with you!"
"It seemed so plausible! aughhhhhh!"
"Enjoy the lake of fire, asshole!"

---Bill Hicks, live in London

Forum List

Back