Indigenous women come forward with accounts of forced sterilization in Canada, some as recent as 2018

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
As CBC and Canadian politicians weigh in on this decision in America with a parade of one-sided arguments, we are mute on Canadian human rights (I speak from experience).

I happen to be pro-choice, but I am also able to listen to moderate ideas and arguments about legal issues and rights.

A proposed class-action lawsuit alleging the coerced sterilization of Indigenous women in Canada is turning up reports from more than 100 women who say it happened to them.

"Some of the women did not realize that physicians, nurses, other health-care professionals, the government — couldn't make decisions for them about their bodies," said Alisa Lombard, a Saskatchewan-based lawyer and a partner of Semaganis Worme Lombard.

Lombard said the reports are coming from the N.W.T., Yukon, Manitoba, Ontario, Alberta, B.C., and Quebec.

"It's important to highlight how traumatizing these practices have been and how difficult it is for women to come forward and talk about and disclose what happened to them," she said.

The firm applied to certify the class action in February 2018, in Saskatchewan. The proposed suit would apply to Saskatchewan, but if women come forward with similar stories, expanding to other jurisdictions is a possibility, said law partner Helen Semaganis.

Nothing coming out of Trudeau's Canada surprises me. I pity the poor Canadians.

This has been going on for decades, under Trudeau it appears it has gone away. Canada is very slowly entering the 21st Century. The damage is long done though...

Forum List

Back