Indian's Revenge

Jun 22, 2014
Indian's Revenge

By Bruce Stark

Aug 1 2023

Sammy Pierce was a rather big player in the early history of the Indian motorcycle. I bought my first Indian Chief in 1970 and I frequented Sammy's Indian motorcycle shop in the city of Huntington here in Southern California.

On one of my last trips to Sammy's Huntington shop I noticed he had a bulletin board with several for-sale and wanted postings. I was drawn to a cut-out article from a newspaper that was titled, "Indian's Revenge."

I will do my best to report the story of the article.

It seems that a rider was driving his Indian Chief motorcycle through an intersection when a car waiting to make a left-hand turn pulled out in front of our Indian Chief friend.

He saw no way to avoid a crash so he stood up on the foot-boards and jumped straight up in the air. He said that his right hand pulled the throttle to full open as he flew over the car and heard a loud crash below him. He had completely missed the collision and only suffered some road-rash when he landed on the other side of the crash site. He was surprised that he could stand up as he walked back to the crash.

He looked into the window of the car to see the Indian Chief had driven through the passenger door, and was sitting on the lap of the dead diver.

I could never forget this story.

Forum List

Back