Indiana Governor, Mike Pence, Asks for Changes in Religious Freedom Law

Bosma, the Indiana House speaker, said the law there has been misconstrued and is more limited than critics contend. For example, he said, it would not shield a dry cleaner who refused to serve a gay customer. “Both the opponents and proponents were indicating they felt that the language allowed a denial of services to gay Hoosiers,” Bosma said in an interview. “That definitely wasn’t the intent, nor do I believe was it the effect, but we intend to take action to make it clear.”

In an op-ed to be published Tuesday in the Wall Street Journal, Pence says the law “only provides a mechanism to address claims, not a license for private parties to deny services. Even a claim involving private individuals . . . must show that one’s religious beliefs were ‘substantially burdened’ and not in service to a broader government interest — which preventing discrimination certainly is.”

Ind. to clarify new law decried as anti-gay - The Washington Post

I want to see the clarification.
A county clerk in California asked their governor for clarification on how he and the AG there could order clerks to violate standing state law that only allows a man and a woman to marry...

...Windsor 2013 Found that that decision was up to the sovereign states "in the way the Framers of the Constitution" intended. California is a state last time I checked..

Indiana should give exactly the same amount of clarification that Gerry Brown or AG Kamala Harris did: which was nil.

This bill was designed to discriminate....the author of the bill said so himself.

Pence should just say he does not like gays and not lie
Why? There is no indication he doesn't like homos. Only that he likes religious freedom.
Pence posed his homophobic backers standing behind him when he signed the bill.
When you use bigoted misnomer terms like homophobic you forfeit debate credibility.

This bill was designed to discriminate....the author of the bill said so himself.

Pence should just say he does not like gays and not lie
Why? There is no indication he doesn't like homos. Only that he likes religious freedom.
Pence posed his homophobic backers standing behind him when he signed the bill.
I'd be homophobic too if I had a bunch of gay lawyers trying to take my business away.

Yup....he must be the Devil....

Now do you even know what you're squawking about?

The debate injected a divisive new issue into the 2016 presidential campaign, presenting Republican hopefuls with a difficult choice: publicly back Pence on an issue that threatens to hurt the GOP among the majority of Americans who support gay rights, or side with the party’s business wing against the law and risk angering base conservatives.

In recent days, former Florida governor Jeb Bush, Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.), former Texas governor Rick Perry and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal have all spoken approvingly of the law; Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has been more circumspect. Likely Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton has criticized it.

Indianapolis mayor slams ‘religious freedom’ law(1:23)

Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard (R) issued a stern plea to the Indiana General Assembly on Monday, asking the state to repeal a “religious freedom” law that could open the door to allow discrimination based on sexual orientation. (AP)

The debate also shines a spotlight on other Religious Freedom Restoration Acts, which are in force at the federal level and in 19 states other than Indiana. The federal law was signed in 1993 by President Bill Clinton, a Democrat, and state versions have had broad support from both parties.

The current batch of religious liberties bills has been more controversial, in part because of the timing. Same-sex marriage is rapidly becoming the norm, with such unions legal in 37 states and the District. Last year, Arizona passed a similar law after a New Mexico photography company was sanctioned for refusing to take pictures for a lesbian commitment ceremony. But that bill sparked nationwide protests, drew criticism from the National Football League and was ultimately vetoed.

But the new laws are also fundamentally different. The federal law protects only individuals seeking relief from government intrusions on their religious beliefs. The Indiana law and others like it also apply to disputes between private parties.

University of Virginia law professor Douglas Laycock, one of the nation’s leading law-and-religion scholars, said “religious freedom” has become a catchphrase since last year’s Supreme Court ruling in the Hobby Lobby case. The court found that business owners who object to certain contraceptives on religious grounds may decline to provide them through their employee health plans.

“There’s bad behavior on both sides,” Laycock said. “Gay rights groups, as they become stronger and stronger and get more support for same-sex marriage, keep demanding more and more. Now they don’t want any religious exceptions for anybody.”

Meanwhile, he said, “Republican legislators are pandering to the base and saying we need to protect against gay marriage. These statements from the right fuel the outrage on the left.”

I do. I even knew he was Tea Party. I posted the legislation yesterday.
Being a member of the Tea Party is no crime. The only reason you feel that it is a crime is because of that lying asshole in the White House.

I don't give a shit if you posted the entire text of the law. You don't understand it and are only attempting to trick everyone into thinking you do.

Shut the fuck up and sit down you moronic pos. You talk a lot but you don't say shit. He's Tea. That is simply a fact.

I understand just fine. You're a dumb ass.

I want to see the clarification.
A county clerk in California asked their governor for clarification on how he and the AG there could order clerks to violate standing state law that only allows a man and a woman to marry...

...Windsor 2013 Found that that decision was up to the sovereign states "in the way the Framers of the Constitution" intended. California is a state last time I checked..

Indiana should give exactly the same amount of clarification that Gerry Brown or AG Kamala Harris did: which was nil.

Let's see the clarification.

The debate injected a divisive new issue into the 2016 presidential campaign, presenting Republican hopefuls with a difficult choice: publicly back Pence on an issue that threatens to hurt the GOP among the majority of Americans who support gay rights, or side with the party’s business wing against the law and risk angering base conservatives.

In recent days, former Florida governor Jeb Bush, Sen. Marco Rubio (Fla.), former Texas governor Rick Perry and Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal have all spoken approvingly of the law; Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker has been more circumspect. Likely Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton has criticized it.

Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard (R) issued a stern plea to the Indiana General Assembly on Monday, asking the state to repeal a “religious freedom” law that could open the door to allow discrimination based on sexual orientation. (AP)

The debate also shines a spotlight on other Religious Freedom Restoration Acts, which are in force at the federal level and in 19 states other than Indiana. The federal law was signed in 1993 by President Bill Clinton, a Democrat, and state versions have had broad support from both parties.

The current batch of religious liberties bills has been more controversial, in part because of the timing. Same-sex marriage is rapidly becoming the norm, with such unions legal in 37 states and the District. Last year, Arizona passed a similar law after a New Mexico photography company was sanctioned for refusing to take pictures for a lesbian commitment ceremony. But that bill sparked nationwide protests, drew criticism from the National Football League and was ultimately vetoed.

But the new laws are also fundamentally different. The federal law protects only individuals seeking relief from government intrusions on their religious beliefs. The Indiana law and others like it also apply to disputes between private parties.

University of Virginia law professor Douglas Laycock, one of the nation’s leading law-and-religion scholars, said “religious freedom” has become a catchphrase since last year’s Supreme Court ruling in the Hobby Lobby case. The court found that business owners who object to certain contraceptives on religious grounds may decline to provide them through their employee health plans.

“There’s bad behavior on both sides,” Laycock said. “Gay rights groups, as they become stronger and stronger and get more support for same-sex marriage, keep demanding more and more. Now they don’t want any religious exceptions for anybody.”

Meanwhile, he said, “Republican legislators are pandering to the base and saying we need to protect against gay marriage. These statements from the right fuel the outrage on the left.”

Being a member of the Tea Party is no crime. The only reason you feel that it is a crime is because of that lying asshole in the White House.

I don't give a shit if you posted the entire text of the law. You don't understand it and are only attempting to trick everyone into thinking you do.

Shut the fuck up and sit down you moronic pos. You talk a lot but you don't say shit. He's Tea. That is simply a fact.

So what.
At least he's not some motherfucking terrorist.......

Oh.....and fuck off shitstain.

So what.
At least he's not some motherfucking terrorist.......

Oh.....and fuck off shitstain.

Seriously? I didn't say he was. You ran like a dog fetching a bone to defend a fucker that you knew nothing about. You're a partisan hack and a douche.

Pence is the new George Wallace, the bigot too stupid to realize the fight is already over.

He's not flip flopping. The law stands. Just an addition. A clarification.

A lot of people, companies and politicians are coming off of this looking like complete jack asses for buying the lie that this was an anti LGBT piece of legislation.

He's flopping like a fish on a deck. Big Corporations have told him to knock it the fuck off.

And for a Republican, big corporations are more important than Jesus.

And here I thought, over the past day or so, that the Governor et al were leading the way to recovering a saner society fit for decent folk.

Ah, well... the gutless and nutless will usually run rather than stand their ground... no guts, no glory... pity... so much for standing by their principles.

And here I thought, over the past day or so, that the Governor et al were leading the way to recovering a saner society fit for decent folk.

Ah, well... the gutless and nutless will usually run rather than stand their ground... no guts, no glory... pity... so much for standing by their principles.

I think that you shouldn't be surprised at all.

The Modern GOP is built on getting stupid religious people like you to vote against your own economic interests, but at the end of the day, they will ALWAYS do what their Corporate Master command.

IN this case, big corporations have realized that happy workers are productive workers, and frankly, gay workers who can get married are happier workers. That's why they were offering "domestic partner" benefits long before the states came around.

So when they see a bunch of politicians trying to upset the Apple Cart (pun intended) by being a bunch of bigots, they slam down and they slam down HARD.

Really, these actions are a bit pathetic. You've lost the marriage argument. Some of you are even claiming you were for gay marriage all along. So now you want to carve out this little exemption of religious bigotry. ANd people are saying, "no."

162036_600.jpg

I think that you shouldn't be surprised at all.

The Modern GOP is built on getting stupid religious people like you...
Uncalled for.

With all due respect, Joe... blow it out your ass.

...to vote against your own economic interests...
Economic bludgeoning is, indeed, effective as a tactic, nowadays, in our present atmosphere of degenerate and relaxed morals, to overcome the objections of decent folk, to the legitimizing and mainstreaming of sexual deviancy and perversion.

...but at the end of the day, they will ALWAYS do what their Corporate Master command...
This isn't about Corporatism, Joe, it's about the Almighty Dollar, and having their attempt at a return to decency squashed by the Gay Mafia and its supporters.

...IN this case, big corporations have realized that happy workers are productive workers, and frankly, gay workers who can get married are happier workers. That's why they were offering "domestic partner" benefits long before the states came around. ..
Yes. Sexual deviants and perverts who are getting domestic benefits are understandably happier than deviants and perverts who are not getting them.

...So when they see a bunch of politicians trying to upset the Apple Cart (pun intended) by being a bunch of bigots, they slam down and they slam down HARD...
The Republic has come to a sad state of affairs when calling-out and resisting the legitimizing and mainstreaming of sexual deviancy and perversion can be labeled as 'bigotry' and when few dare raise their voices in opposition.

...Really, these actions are a bit pathetic...
Agreed.

Mostly because the Career Politicians who did not think-through their pathetic efforts, also lack the balls to stand by their decision.

...You've lost the marriage argument...
Only in the short term.

Just look at Roe v Wade and what the States are now doing to set that aside for all practical purposes, 40 years or more after the ruling first appeared.

Not to mention the public referendums opposing Gay Marriage in State after State, that were overturned by judicial activism rather than the Will of the People.

In truth, this battle is just getting underway, but, fell free to enjoy your string of recent victories while they last.

Sheeple go any which way the shepherd steers them, and are as fickle as the wind.

But, as with anything, time will tell us the end of that story.

Forum List

Back