"India: Does Repression Lead To Rape?"

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
India Does repression lead to rape - The Safe World Community

"And there was this strange dichotomy because Indian TV and Bollywood films appeared to egg this attitude on. The taboos about showing any kind of overt sexual behaviour on the silver screen, just seemed to make things worse. Huge massive epic drama's and love stories poured out into the cinema's. You would see the massive crowds outside them.

Each drama was geared to stirring people up. And once the audience was stirred up they suddenly were left in a flat vacuum. Deep seated repressed sexuality suddenly aroused. And then the viewers would be left to return to lives where sex was hidden, dirty, a taboo. Left to watch the women passing by.
The contradictions are particularly pronounced when it comes to sex. In the land of the Kama Sutra, the nearly 2000-year-old Sanskrit manual on erotic pleasure, sex is on display everywhere from Bollywood films and TV advertisements to seedy roadside graffiti for performance-enhancing pills and potions. Google Trends, which monitors web searches from around the world, shows that India is one of seven countries that most frequently typed in the word "sex." A survey by the condom manufacturer Durex found that the average age at which Indians lose their virginity had dropped from 23 in 2006 to 19.8 in 2011.

Yet sex remains a taboo topic for most Indians. A powerful conservative morality limits acknowledgement to innuendo and suggestive word pictures created by Hindi film songs. A 2011 poll by India Today, the country's leading news magazine, found a quarter of respondents offering no objection to sex before marriage, so long as it was not happening in their family.

This makes for a debilitating sexual repressiveness, which women's organizations believe accounts for the high rate of sexual violence. A 2011 survey of gender equality by the Washington-headquartered International Centre for Research on Women revealed that one in four Indian men have committed sexual violence at some point in their lives and one in five has forced his partner to have sex with him, far higher rates than the five other countries surveyed. More than 65 percent of Indian men surveyed believe that women sometimes deserved to be beaten, and that to keep the family together, women should tolerate violence. "In India, the age-old code of conduct has been to keep men and women separate. So women are only viewed as sex objects," Vibhuti Patel, a women's rights activist, told the Times of India."

Since they can't be alcoholics like US men that were made to live in a heavily censored world decades ago, I bet that circle jerks are popular..

Since they can't be alcoholics like US men that were made to live in a heavily censored world decades ago, I bet that circle jerks are popular..

I never understood that appeal. If I'm around guys pleasuring themselves my first thought isn't gonna be pleasure my own. :)

Forum List

Back