Independent panel concludes Bush engaged in torture

rightwinger

Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster
Aug 4, 2009
Bush-era torture use 'indisputable,' Guantanamo must close, task force finds - U.S. News

An independent task force issued a damning review of Bush-era interrogation practices on Tuesday, saying the highest U.S. officials bore ultimate responsibility for the "indisputable" use of torture, and it urged President Barack Obama to close the Guantanamo detention camp by the end of 2014.

In one of the most comprehensive studies of U.S. treatment of terrorism suspects, the panel concluded that never before had there been "the kind of considered and detailed discussions that occurred after 9/11 directly involving a president and his top advisers on the wisdom, propriety and legality of inflicting pain and torment on some detainees in our custody."

"It is indisputable that the United States engaged in the practice of torture," the 11-member task force, assembled by the nonpartisan Constitution Project think tank, said in their 577-page report

The panel, which included leading politicians from both parties, two U.S. retired generals and legal and ethics scholars, spent two years examining the U.S. treatment of suspected militants detained after the September 11, 2001, attacks.

Panel members interviewed former Clinton, Bush and Obama administration officials, military officers and former prisoners, and the investigation looked at U.S. practices at Guantanamo, in Afghanistan and Iraq and at the CIA's former secret prisons overseas.

The task force was chaired by Asa Hutchinson, a Republican former congressman and undersecretary of the Department of Homeland Security during the George W. Bush administration, and James Jones, a Democratic former congressman who served as U.S. ambassador to Mexico.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm forming an international tribunal with Lupe Rodriguez, the illegal who cleans my neighbor's house. We're going to sentence Bush to 50 years in prison. You just know it's going to scare the hell out of him.

We may mandate world peace, too, if we get around to it.

Yeah, I'm forming an international tribunal with Lupe Rodriguez, the illegal who cleans my neighbor's house. We're going to sentence Bush to 50 years in prison. You just know it's going to scare the hell out of him.

The panel, which included leading politicians from both parties, two U.S. retired generals and legal and ethics scholars, spent two years examining the U.S. treatment of suspected militants detained after the September 11, 2001, attacks.

Panel members interviewed former Clinton, Bush and Obama administration officials, military officers and former prisoners, and the investigation looked at U.S. practices at Guantanamo, in Afghanistan and Iraq and at the CIA's former secret prisons overseas.

The task force was chaired by Asa Hutchinson, a Republican former congressman and undersecretary of the Department of Homeland Security during the George W. Bush administration, and James Jones, a Democratic former congressman who served as U.S. ambassador to Mexico.

Oddly, me and Lupe have exactly the same effect.

I'm sure glad we didn't have to labor in the Bush, Clinton or Obama administrations. We're both honest people.

Gee. What a surprise that the Constitution Project would come to that conclusion:

"...the Constitution Project, an organization that calls for the United States to abandon most of the aggressive, post-9/11 anti-terrorism and anti-crime measures it has undertaken — on grounds that such measures are misguided “government proposals that [have] jeopardized civil liberties.” Specifically, the Constitution Project:

opposes President Bush’s decision to try suspected terrorists in military tribunals rather than in civilian courts
opposes “the use of profiling” in law-enforcement and intelligence work alike
holds that state and local law-enforcement agencies should be uninvolved in pursuing suspected terrorists
opposes government efforts to “conduct surveillance of religious and political organizations”
opposes “increased federal and state wiretap authority and increased video surveillance”
calls for the creation of a commission “to investigate the abuse of people held at detention facilities such as Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay”....."

Joseph Onek - Discover the Networks

Personally, I have little doubt that we did torture people in the name of "freedom," but I'd prefer such an indictment come from a truly impartial investigation rather than from a group which has an axe to grind and an agenda to advance, wouldn't you?

Bottom line? This is a junk "investigation," the conclusions of which were pre-determined.

i doubt very much that Bush engaged in any sort of torture, lets first define torture ?

when it comes to interrogating enemies, i personally believe any method used to extract needed info is acceptable :up:

we need to get tuff (sic) like our Marines did in the WWII Pacific, flame throwers and any other means of killing the enemy :up: :clap2:

they still claim Bush found WMDs

they still insist that Bush didnt crash the economy

they still claim Bush protected us from attack when 911 was his watch.

whats one more lie to the right?

How many terrorist attacks on U.S. citizens under Barry Kardashian?

he didnt make it he handled ut in a way that gave the banks money for nothing.

he placed no rules on how they used it

Bush-era torture use 'indisputable,' Guantanamo must close, task force finds - U.S. News

An independent task force issued a damning review of Bush-era interrogation practices on Tuesday, saying the highest U.S. officials bore ultimate responsibility for the "indisputable" use of torture, and it urged President Barack Obama to close the Guantanamo detention camp by the end of 2014.

In one of the most comprehensive studies of U.S. treatment of terrorism suspects, the panel concluded that never before had there been "the kind of considered and detailed discussions that occurred after 9/11 directly involving a president and his top advisers on the wisdom, propriety and legality of inflicting pain and torment on some detainees in our custody."

"It is indisputable that the United States engaged in the practice of torture," the 11-member task force, assembled by the nonpartisan Constitution Project think tank, said in their 577-page report

What a surprise!!!!

I would like for TV to produce a televison reality program called; Torture or Not Torture. Or something like that.

On the program, participants would be subjected to the very same techniques used by the CIA and the military.

Then Americans can call in and vote for the method used and decide if it is torture or not. The participants would also get a say as to whether they thought they were being tortured.

The participant that can take the most aggressive form of torture and not give in and call it torture would be the winner.

Reality programming at its finest. Any rethugs want to volunteer for waterboarding?

I know the details are slim; but the TV producers can work the details out. Sure to be the next Dancing With the Stars. Us Americans will love it.

How many terrorist attacks on U.S. citizens under Barry Kardashian?

lots of thwarted attempts

That's akin to saying he stopped the Earth from spinning off its axis... totally unprovable.

Again, how many terror attacks on U.S. citizens under the partier in chief? How many dead and maimed on U.S. soil while Barry golfs?

Forum List

Back