Independent and Principled? Behind the Cato Myth

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
It began as a fairly straight-forward story about a shareholder lawsuit: The Koch brothers, Charles and David, who together own 50 percent of the libertarian Cato Institute, filed suit to recover a 25 percent stake held by longtime chairman William Niskanen, who died last autumn and whose widow has yet to relinquish those shares.

Cato’s shareholder’s agreement is "pretty clear" according to legal writer Alison Frankel: shareholders cannot sell or transfer their shares without first offering them back to the Institute and then to the remaining Cato shareholders. But there’s one legal ambiguity: Cato’s shareholder agreement “doesn’t specifically address what happens when a shareholder dies.”

What started as a rather arcane legal dispute between the Koch brothers and their longtime lieutenant, Cato president Ed Crane, quickly transformed into a PR-manufactured Washington melodrama: The famed and revered (in some quarters) Cato Institute has turned against its Dr. Frankenstein, Charles Koch, attacking its maker with the full range of PR-weaponry that has served Cato effectively over these past four decades. The same pundits who only yesterday fell over themselves defending the billionaire Koch brothers as principled libertarians now denounce their benefactors as venal Republican Party warmongers out to crush the Cato Institute’s “nonpartisan” “independent” “scholarship” for the crime of being, yes, principled libertarians.

Independent and Principled? Behind the Cato Myth | The Nation

This is a pretty good article exposing the Cato Institute for what it is, a non-libertarian, beltway, establishment think tank that's been beholden to the state since it moved to Washington.

This one seems perfect. Oh but wait.

Did you start it to cry about Republicans?

The fact that I haven't said anything about Republicans so far in this thread should answer that question.

'non-libertarian, beltway, establishment think tank ' isn't your code for those dirty Republicans, then?

LOL

No, actually, it's not. In fact, if anything, I'm siding with the Republicans when it comes to the issue of Cato. I have no problem with the Kochs removing Ed Crane and doing whatever they want with the think tank they founded. It's mostly liberals asserting the supposed "independent" nature of the Cato Institute to make a political attack on the Kochs.

The fact that I haven't said anything about Republicans so far in this thread should answer that question.

'non-libertarian, beltway, establishment think tank ' isn't your code for those dirty Republicans, then?

LOL

No, actually, it's not.

A summary paragraph in your article:

'The more you get to know the real Cato Institute, the more you see a rank, powerful rightwing corporate front group deeply woven into the Republican Party machinery, as unprincipled and cynical in its relentless service of the 1 percent’s interests as it is hostile to the progressive cause.'

It began as a fairly straight-forward story about a shareholder lawsuit: The Koch brothers, Charles and David, who together own 50 percent of the libertarian Cato Institute, filed suit to recover a 25 percent stake held by longtime chairman William Niskanen, who died last autumn and whose widow has yet to relinquish those shares.

Cato’s shareholder’s agreement is "pretty clear" according to legal writer Alison Frankel: shareholders cannot sell or transfer their shares without first offering them back to the Institute and then to the remaining Cato shareholders. But there’s one legal ambiguity: Cato’s shareholder agreement “doesn’t specifically address what happens when a shareholder dies.”

What started as a rather arcane legal dispute between the Koch brothers and their longtime lieutenant, Cato president Ed Crane, quickly transformed into a PR-manufactured Washington melodrama: The famed and revered (in some quarters) Cato Institute has turned against its Dr. Frankenstein, Charles Koch, attacking its maker with the full range of PR-weaponry that has served Cato effectively over these past four decades. The same pundits who only yesterday fell over themselves defending the billionaire Koch brothers as principled libertarians now denounce their benefactors as venal Republican Party warmongers out to crush the Cato Institute’s “nonpartisan” “independent” “scholarship” for the crime of being, yes, principled libertarians.

This is a pretty good article exposing the Cato Institute for what it is, a non-libertarian, beltway, establishment think tank that's been beholden to the state since it moved to Washington.

Oh my, so lets see the Koch brothers want to take over the Cato institute for libertarian studies. Gee, so what does that have to do with, Obama, unemployment, under employment, exit of manufacturing jobs from US soil, current and unfunded liabilities, decline of dollar purchasing power, national security, class warfare..............the list goes on....... So I guess the real issue is that when someone wants to promote a viewpoint that is not in keeping with your worthless dribble it's time to call out the attack dogs? how pathetic can one get? At least the Cato institute is privately funded not like your Acorn.....:eusa_boohoo:

LOL

No, actually, it's not.

'The more you get to know the real Cato Institute, the more you see a rank, powerful rightwing corporate front group deeply woven into the Republican Party machinery, as unprincipled and cynical in its relentless service of the 1 percent’s interests as it is hostile to the progressive cause.'

It's not my article, as I didn't write it.

Oh my, so lets see the Koch brothers want to take over the Cato institute for libertarian studies. Gee, so what does that have to do with, Obama, unemployment, under employment, exit of manufacturing jobs from US soil, current and unfunded liabilities, decline of dollar purchasing power, national security, class warfare..............the list goes on....... So I guess the real issue is that when someone wants to promote a viewpoint that is not in keeping with your worthless dribble it's time to call out the attack dogs? how pathetic can one get? At least the Cato institute is privately funded not like your Acorn.....:eusa_boohoo:

:eusa_eh:

No, actually, it's not.

Dance monkey dance

Dance monkey dance

What?

Forum List

Back