Income Inequailty Rhetoric is Class Warfare

Fifty years ago was 1963. There was large ownership of homes by then for working class. Actually, even in 1953. Everyone I knew were homeowners. Due in large part to the GI bill for all you right wingers that have been told that government can't do anything right. The GI bill helped build the middle class. Most Americans had one vehicle because usually only the father worked. Mom didn't need a car. There was a small grocery store on neighborhood corners and main street usually in walking distance. More efficient big stores finally killed main street. No t.v's? . No refrigerators or ranges. Maybe you're talking rural poor areas. In industrial areas large union membership kept wages up for everyone. This was before corporations could offshore if they didn't like labor prices and regulations like pollution control. I lived in Los Angeles in the early 50's and can tell you about air pollution. Now china has it. If they start regulations like we had and if they have pay raises so their workers can have a decent life, out of respect for their citizenry, big business will just go to a more "business friendly" country like they did to us. Thanks Nafta and other trade bills. This is globalization and the chase for the cheapest labor and the greatest profits. Most gains go to the upper 1% or the upper 1/2 of 1% or whatever it is.

Actually the real break I between the top 0.01 % and everyone else. I also grew up in the 50's and you left out high quality public education, affordable higher education, twice a day mail delivery, and the biggest public works programs in American history (the Interstate highway system, the local school bond issues that built the schools we educated the boomers in, and the public buildings such as post offices and courthouses that once were jewels of civic architecture).

Income inequality lead us to the Great Depression.
No, there were 5 reasons for the Great Depression:
1. Stock Market Crash of 1929
2. Bank Failures
3. Reduction in Purchasing Across the Board
4. American Economic Policy with Europe
5. Drought Conditions

Income inequality caused the French Revolution.If by income inequality, you mean drought and hunger caused by cold weather, you might something this time.

Income inequality is what we fought against in the American Revolution.No, the American revolution was caused by the policies of the British government, specifically the Proclamation of 1763, the Navigation Acts and taxation which did not originate in the Colonies (No taxation without representation)

Income inequality goes against the teachings of Christ.Christ never said that people should have equal incomes. He said that INDIVIDUALS who had "more" should help out those who have "less". He never said government should be involved in that.

Income inequality will destroy this country if we ignore it.
What's more likely to destroy this country is people like you trying to inflict your views of "fairness" on the rest of us.

Last edited:
Q. Why must the far right continue their efforts to rewrite history?

A. Because history exposes the holes in the ideology they hold dear.

Please read history in books and periodicals which discussed the causes of the Great Depression written before the Reagan Administration. It will enlighten all but the most willfully ignorant.

Fifty years ago was 1963. There was large ownership of homes by then for working class. Actually, even in 1953. Everyone I knew were homeowners. Due in large part to the GI bill for all you right wingers that have been told that government can't do anything right. The GI bill helped build the middle class. Most Americans had one vehicle because usually only the father worked. Mom didn't need a car. There was a small grocery store on neighborhood corners and main street usually in walking distance. More efficient big stores finally killed main street. No t.v's? . No refrigerators or ranges. Maybe you're talking rural poor areas. In industrial areas large union membership kept wages up for everyone. This was before corporations could offshore if they didn't like labor prices and regulations like pollution control. I lived in Los Angeles in the early 50's and can tell you about air pollution. Now china has it. If they start regulations like we had and if they have pay raises so their workers can have a decent life, out of respect for their citizenry, big business will just go to a more "business friendly" country like they did to us. Thanks Nafta and other trade bills. This is globalization and the chase for the cheapest labor and the greatest profits. Most gains go to the upper 1% or the upper 1/2 of 1% or whatever it is.

Actually the real break I between the top 0.01 % and everyone else. I also grew up in the 50's and you left out high quality public education, affordable higher education, twice a day mail delivery, and the biggest public works programs in American history (the Interstate highway system, the local school bond issues that built the schools we educated the boomers in, and the public buildings such as post offices and courthouses that once were jewels of civic architecture).

How many homes went without indoor plumbing? How many had air conditioning? What was life like for blacks, Jews, and other minorities? What about clean air and water? If someone had a heart attack how likely were they survive?
Our standard of living is much higher today. The percent of income spent on food is much less.

What was the point here again?

Please read history in books and periodicals which discussed the causes of the Great Depression written before the Reagan Administration. It will enlighten all but the most willfully ignorant.

So why are you so ignorant?
The truth is that FDR caused the Great Depression, doubling down on Hoover's failed policies. Coolidge's policies saved the country from a serious recession in the 1920s. But ignorant morons who were spoon fed leftist propaganda in teh 1950s, 60s and 70s will never admit this. To them government is the answer. And when it isn't, the answer is even more government.

Fifty years ago was 1963. There was large ownership of homes by then for working class. Actually, even in 1953. Everyone I knew were homeowners. Due in large part to the GI bill for all you right wingers that have been told that government can't do anything right.
This isn't broken out by income quintiles so it is hard to quantify the (granted nebulous term) working class ownership rate, but overall home ownership rates climbed significantly from 1950 to 2000.

Historical Census of Housing Tables - Homeownership

Fifty years ago was 1963. There was large ownership of homes by then for working class. Actually, even in 1953. Everyone I knew were homeowners. Due in large part to the GI bill for all you right wingers that have been told that government can't do anything right.
This isn't broken out by income quintiles so it is hard to quantify the (granted nebulous term) working class ownership rate, but overall home ownership rates climbed significantly from 1950 to 2000.

Historical Census of Housing Tables - Homeownership

Facts are inconvenient to the left.

So why are you so ignorant?
The truth is that FDR caused the Great Depression, doubling down on Hoover's failed policies. Coolidge's policies saved the country from a serious recession in the 1920s. But ignorant morons who were spoon fed leftist propaganda in teh 1950s, 60s and 70s will never admit this. To them government is the answer. And when it isn't, the answer is even more government.

That idiot thinks that history was re-written during the Reagan years? In the words of Bugs Bunny, "what a maroon!" The causes of the Great Depression were pointed out in my American History class and I assure you that I was in high school long before Reagan became President. And, the idea that the Great Depression was magnified and extended because of FDR's infatuation with Keynesian Economic Theory was explained as well. FDR was venerated, but his feet of clay were pointed out.

What's that I smell? Ideology!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgyQsIGLt_w]Milton Friedman - The Great Depression Myth - YouTube[/ame]
Milton Freidman shoots himself in the foot in this video where he explains the reason for The Great Depression...
Excessive OVERSEAS investment coupled with hesistant Quantitative Easing.
Yep, the BOG MAN himself says it.

What got us out?
FDR didn't.
WWII did.

Remember before GW and DICK Cheney when the US manufactured it's own wartime equipment?
Well, not this time...we off-shored this war to save money!

What's that I smell? Ideology!

Milton Friedman - The Great Depression Myth - YouTube
Milton Freidman shoots himself in the foot in this video where he explains the reason for The Great Depression...
Excessive OVERSEAS investment coupled with hesistant Quantitative Easing.
Yep, the BOG MAN himself says it.

What got us out?
FDR didn't.
WWII did.

Remember before GW and DICK Cheney when the US manufactured it's own wartime equipment?
Well, not this time...we off-shored this war to save money!

I truly think you are borderline retarded. Because Friedman emphatically says that overseas investment was NOT a cause of the Great Depression.

Forum List

Back