In Iowa you can be fired for being too pretty

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Doc91678, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Doc91678

Doc91678 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99
    December 22, 2012
    by Jazz Shaw

One of the wilder stories from the judicial branch to cross our desk in some time popped up this weekend. Our tale takes place in an Iowa dentist’s office, where an attractive, married woman works as a dental assistant. After ten years on the job providing what the dentist himself described as “stellar” performance, she was fired because she was too attractive and represented a threat to the owner’s marriage. There was no affair. There was no allegation of an affair. But the dentist’s wife also worked there and, after discovering some personal (not sexual) text messages between the two, she wanted the woman gone. The assistant went to court claiming unjust termination. There’s no way that one holds up, right? Wrong.

[​IMG]

A dentist acted legally when he fired an assistant that he found attractive simply because he and his wife viewed the woman as a threat to their marriage, the all-male Iowa Supreme Court ruled Friday.

The court ruled 7-0 that bosses can fire employees they see as an “irresistible attraction,” even if the employees have not engaged in flirtatious behavior or otherwise done anything wrong. Such firings may be unfair, but they are not unlawful discrimination under the Iowa Civil Rights Act because they are motivated by feelings and emotions, not gender, Justice Edward Mansfield wrote.

An attorney for Fort Dodge dentist James Knight said the decision, the first of its kind in Iowa, is a victory for family values because Knight fired Melissa Nelson in the interest of saving his marriage, not because she was a woman.​

Someone I frequently turn to when I need to understand the byzantine maze of the legal system, Dr. James Joyner, seems to feel that this was pretty much the correct call.

As weird and embarrassing as this case is, it’s a reasonable decision in the narrow case of a sole proprietorship. Should the boss be able to work with women he finds attractive and resist crossing boundaries of professionalism? Sure. But, if it’s his shop, he should have the right to remove the temptation.

This obviously becomes more problematic in a larger firm, especially when the supervisor isn’t also the owner. In those cases, asking for reassignments or just moving on to another firm are more appropriate solutions. But that’s unreasonable if it’s your firm.​

In Iowa you can be fired for being too pretty « Hot Air

2. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,453
    An employer should be able to terminate an employee's employment at any time for any reason they choose.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. OKTexas

OKTexas New Life Member of the NRA 12/15 Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,134
    And if he had made a pass she would sue for sexual harassment. The guy was in a no win situation, if the wife ain't happy, your not going to be happy. So he fires the gal gets sued anyway and loses a good assistant.

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Well at least they will not have to fire any Iowa natives.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,719
    Seems stupid and incredibly arbitrary but somehow I do not think this is a huge civil rights problem in this country.

6. Papageorgio

Papageorgio The Ultimate Winner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,450
    He is the owner, he can do as he pleases.

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Or actually as his wife pleases :D
    Wuss.

8. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,661
    She worked for him for 10 years. To me she would seem to have a case. If it was a problem, he should have realized that during the first year. They're taking out their marriage problems on a third party.

9. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Strange story. I just heard it on the news. I'm speachless...

10. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
    Hurray for right to work. Fired for ANY reason...too fucking bad for you!