In Iowa you can be fired for being too pretty

"Being Attractive" is not a civil rights or protected class issue.

I feel for the plaintiff, but if her boss's wife said, "She or you gotta go, choose", the assistant is out.

She was fired for being female. She has a case. Its gender discrimination, because we know for a fact that she wouldn't have been fired if she were male.

Sure she would have if the boss was attracted to her, Noomi.

There is no protected class issue at all here, simply employment at well issues.

I support the Court on this one, and feel bad for the plaintiff.

There is no protected class issue at all here, simply employment at well issues.

I agree, if it came down to one of two choices...well.

But in this case, we know for a fact that had she been male, she would not have been fired.

The only reason she was fired is because the man's wife was a jealous bitch and the guy had a hard on for someone other than his missus.

The dentist did the right thing. The fired employee's work was stellar, she will have no problem whatsoever finding another job and will undoubtably get a sterling recommendation. She has no case which is exactly what the Court determined.

Right to work, works for no one lol

December 22, 2012
by Jazz Shaw

One of the wilder stories from the judicial branch to cross our desk in some time popped up this weekend. Our tale takes place in an Iowa dentist’s office, where an attractive, married woman works as a dental assistant. After ten years on the job providing what the dentist himself described as “stellar” performance, she was fired because she was too attractive and represented a threat to the owner’s marriage. There was no affair. There was no allegation of an affair. But the dentist’s wife also worked there and, after discovering some personal (not sexual) text messages between the two, she wanted the woman gone. The assistant went to court claiming unjust termination. There’s no way that one holds up, right? Wrong.

AttractiveSecretary.jpg

A dentist acted legally when he fired an assistant that he found attractive simply because he and his wife viewed the woman as a threat to their marriage, the all-male Iowa Supreme Court ruled Friday.

The court ruled 7-0 that bosses can fire employees they see as an “irresistible attraction,” even if the employees have not engaged in flirtatious behavior or otherwise done anything wrong. Such firings may be unfair, but they are not unlawful discrimination under the Iowa Civil Rights Act because they are motivated by feelings and emotions, not gender, Justice Edward Mansfield wrote.

An attorney for Fort Dodge dentist James Knight said the decision, the first of its kind in Iowa, is a victory for family values because Knight fired Melissa Nelson in the interest of saving his marriage, not because she was a woman.​

Someone I frequently turn to when I need to understand the byzantine maze of the legal system, Dr. James Joyner, seems to feel that this was pretty much the correct call.

As weird and embarrassing as this case is, it’s a reasonable decision in the narrow case of a sole proprietorship. Should the boss be able to work with women he finds attractive and resist crossing boundaries of professionalism? Sure. But, if it’s his shop, he should have the right to remove the temptation.

This obviously becomes more problematic in a larger firm, especially when the supervisor isn’t also the owner. In those cases, asking for reassignments or just moving on to another firm are more appropriate solutions. But that’s unreasonable if it’s your firm.​

In Iowa you can be fired for being too pretty « Hot Air

It also happened in NYC.

course the hottie dressed the part and got some modeling out of it.

Isn't the business a partnership with his wife? Maybe she is the one that got rid of the woman that wore overly tight clothing to work....... maybe it was the wife that felt that the assistant was hitting on her husband. It's assumed it's all the guy's fault.......why?

had you read the article you would have read that he was sending her dirty texts and commenting about his bulge in his pants.

But hey why read right?

There was no affair. There was no allegation of an affair. But the dentist’s wife also worked there and, after discovering some personal (not sexual) text messages between the two, she wanted the woman gone.

I read the article ace, did you? Where did you read about "dirty" texts?

non sexual? Asking about an Orgasm is fucking sexual dipshit.

I guess you didnt read it.

No, it is not, Noomi. The court has ruled and it is over. The court would have ruled the same way if the assistant had been male, the doctor was attracted to him, and the wife said, "he's gotta go."

This is over.

But in this case, we know for a fact that had she been male, she would not have been fired.

The only reason she was fired is because the man's wife was a jealous bitch and the guy had a hard on for someone other than his missus.

Last edited:
An employer should be able to terminate an employee's employment at any time for any reason they choose.

Yes, I agree. Just as an employee can leave their jobs any time and for any reason they wish.

I have found, however, that being fired for being considered too *hawt* ( a threat ) to be around a male employer, happens frequently, when an insecure wife of said employer meets you.

Better doors often open, though. One often chooses self-employment. :D

thumbnailCAJHJJEC-1.jpg

She was fired for being female. She has a case. Its gender discrimination, because we know for a fact that she wouldn't have been fired if she were male.

She wasn't fired for being female unless she could prove that the dentist would hire NO females. Since the rest of the staff is female too, she hasn't got that argument available to her. Also, she had the job for ten years. Sort of ruins her I was fired because I was female schtick.

Aside from that, what part of the judge's ruling dismissing the case eludes you?

Last edited:
She wasn't fired for being female. She was fired because her boss was attracted to her in an unhealthy fashion.

She wasn't fired for being female. She was fired because her boss was attracted to her in an unhealthy fashion.

Key word is "her."

Since boss would not be attracted to a male, then he discriminated against an employee based on their gender.

Immaterial because if his wife told him "no, choose", and the assistant was a male, he would have acted the same way.

Key word is "her."

Since boss would not be attracted to a male, then he discriminated against an employee based on their gender.

Immaterial because if his wife told him "no, choose", and the assistant was a male, he would have acted the same way.

Key word is "her."

Sadly we won't know.

What we know are facts:

He is attracted to FEMALES.

He Fired A FEMALE because SHE was FEMALE.

Forum List

Back