In an Unequal America, Getting to Work Can Be Hell...

the other mike

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2019
Secret City under Denver Airport
They don’t know each other; they live 60 miles apart; and, at least on the surface, Carrie Blough and Karen Allen don’t have much in common. But ask them about their journeys to and from their jobs every day, and their stories converge in a shared narrative of commuter hell.

In an Unequal America, Getting to Work Can Be Hell

Some of us have been saying it for decades that we need to build new high-speed rail lines in the United States, especially in the Boston to DC corridor, but the argument has always been that it's too expensive for the government to invest in and would not be a profitable venture for private companies. But these same people never seem to have a problem signing blank checks for a Pentagon budget that's over a trillion dollars a year now when you combine the military and the entire national security/ intelligence system that's in place. Why is that ?
440.jpg

They don’t know each other; they live 60 miles apart; and, at least on the surface, Carrie Blough and Karen Allen don’t have much in common. But ask them about their journeys to and from their jobs every day, and their stories converge in a shared narrative of commuter hell.

Some of us have been saying it for decades that we need to build new high-speed rail lines in the United States, especially in the Boston to DC corridor, but the argument has always been that it's too expensive for the government to invest in and would not be a profitable venture for private companies. But these same people never seem to have a problem signing blank checks for a Pentagon budget that's over a trillion dollars a year now when you combine the military and the entire national security/ intelligence system that's in place. Why is that ?
View attachment 242860
You want my federal tax dollars to be spent on a high speed rail in your state? No thanks. Id rather let the Pentagon have it.

Amtrak has never not been subsidized and now a couple of crying brats want to be chauffeured to work in something shinier and newer because China and France have fancier trains?
Do these people not know the nation is bankrupt as it is?

I'll stick to my truck for whenever I have to visit a job site, last thing I need in my life is a train full of public zombies. I'd end up choking the ever living sht out of the first one who started popping their mouth off.

You know how they do...

View attachment 242860
You want my federal tax dollars to be spent on a high speed rail in your state? No thanks. Id rather let the Pentagon have it.
I have the OP on ignore, because trying to debate him was like talking to a wall, but just as a reminder, when I was 18 a Trans Am Firebird was $6,000 fully loaded. See picture below. I was making $2.10 an hour and just had no idea what I was going to do to get one of those. So instead of staying a victim of liberalism, I realized that I needed to find my God given talent, entered the Air Force, and worked on jets. That enabled me to go over the Saudi Arabia where I earned $70,000 a year tax free, and heavily invested it. Today I drive a Lexus, because I can...and I wouldn't own a GM product if you paid me, piece of shit car...but it did look good.

d56d430bbe_640.jpg

We need to modernize the homeland, then worry about having an empire to police the world.
No, we need to do the opposite. What good is it to have a modernized homeland if you cant protect it? Also, do you have any idea how much money it will cost annually to protect this high speed rail from terrorists?

Amtrak has never not been subsidized and now a couple of crying brats want to be chauffeured to work in something shinier and newer because China and France have fancier trains?
Do these people not know the nation is bankrupt as it is?

It's called being a day late an' a dollar short.

View attachment 242860

I actually have a big problem "giving a blank check" to the Pentagon. I'm all for accountability in government spending.

That being said, these whinging bitches can have MY tax money to build THEIR high speed rail for THEIR commute just as soon as they can explain what possible benefit I, a resident of Arizona, get from a frigging train in "the Boston to DC corridor".

I have not used public transportation since college.

Well, let me qualify that with the occasional cab during rare business visits to NYC.

We need to modernize the homeland, then worry about having an empire to police the world.

Who's "we", pal? Are those two Yankee bints going to send THEIR tax money down here to fill in the potholes to make MY commute easier? No?

Life's tough. Plan better.

Like guns...Americans don't give up their cars.
Have you ever tried to drive in NYC at all, or commute to and from work there ?

As a matter of fact, I agree that driving anywhere in the Northeast sucks like a Hoover . . . which is why I don't live there. So why in the Hell do I want to spend my money to improve a place I chose to live far away from for the benefit of a bunch of strangers who weren't as smart as I was?

I actually have a big problem "giving a blank check" to the Pentagon. I'm all for accountability in government spending.

That being said, these whinging bitches can have MY tax money to build THEIR high speed rail for THEIR commute just as soon as they can explain what possible benefit I, a resident of Arizona, get from a frigging train in "the Boston to DC corridor".
If you're in Arizona you should be more worried about where your water's gonna come from in 10 or 20 years when Lake Mead dries up.

Forum List

Back