Improvements to the OSCARs

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
The writers and actors are both on strike right now. Eventually the strike will end and the end result will likely be that consumers of their creations will pay more. As someone who supports the strikers, I hope that the next round of subscription fee increases actually goes toward the rank and file actors, technicians, writers, researchers, etc...whose names you don't see unless you watch the credits roll by at the end of a presentation.

Once Hollywood gets back to making movies, they will again have awards ceremonies where the writers and actors will team with directors and producers to create memorable films. How best to honor them going forward?

I'm probably alone in this (shocking I know) but I really liked what the Academy did 14 years ago. Its a slow night at the office right now so I began looking at past OSCAR winners in an attempt to find some movies to watch from the recent past that have been forgotten. A strange nexus was created when the 2009 OSCARS had some performances in the Actress in a Leading Role category. Kate Winslet won for The Reader. Melissa Leo was nominated for a movie called Frozen River. Anne Hathaway was nominated for Rachel Getting Married which I did see in 2010 and still remember to this day. Meryl Streep was of course nominated for Doubt. And Angelina Jolie was nominated for The Changeling. I think I'm going to pass on the latter...it sounds too heart breaking. But the other three I have not seen look to be fertile ground for investigation.

As for the ceremony itself. They did something different this time around. For the major award categories; Leading Actor and Actress; they didn't have a single presenter. They had five previous winners in that category personally address one of that year's nominees.

I think this could be an excellent way to do this going forward. In the case of Streep, Hanks, Lewis or Macdormand, it may not work very well. What is implied--in my view anyway--is that the previous winner is of a higher stature than that year's nominee; look at Leo's face during Berry's speech in the clip above. Or Anne Hathaway's look at Shrley MacLaine (sp?). I wish they would do this type of presentation again for major categories but really punch up the speeches that are given; make them more focused on the body of work and touch on the current film for which they are nominated. 2009 was the year that Slumdog Millionaire won as well. The presentation was delayed by the entire cast coming up onto the stage that was not that large to begin with. What was remarkable in my view is that Dev Patel who was the face of the movie didn't push his way to the front of the scrum and try to get on television. One of the girls who played the young Latika was apparently uneasy about the crowd and the noise. Patel is standing well in the back of the scrum holding her and even does this little twirl in place to make her smile. Class act.

If I were going to change something else as well; they often criticize the show for going on too long. I think it should be longer myself. Hell, its one night. Is anyone really injured by it being five hours instead of three? Have more of the technical awards given during the telecast and start it six. Again; it's one night. Big whoop. What always really bakes my beans about the OSCARs is when they omit a very well known actor or actress from the memorial montage. Farah Fawcett was snubbed one year. Tom Sizemore was snubbed. I think Paul Sorvino was snubbed even.... He was in freakin' Goodfellas. Why does this happen? Because they are pressed for time; that's why. Yeah...stop doing that. Its a Monday in February; it isn't the end of the season (do they even still have seasons????). If you're going to honor the film industry...honor it and don't apologize for it taking time to do so.

And now, as is the custom on USMB...this is the part where those of you who don't care spend your precious time demonstrating that you do and commenting.

I suppose it is the type of thing that the Sheeple need for their entertainment .But because they are a crass and tasteless group , I think the more you give them , the happier they will be . Perhaps have something different for the "workers".

Last edited:
The writers and actors are both on strike right now. Eventually the strike will end and the end result will likely be that consumers of their creations will pay more. As someone who supports the strikers, I hope that the next round of subscription fee increases actually goes toward the rank and file actors, technicians, writers, researchers, etc...whose names you don't see unless you watch the credits roll by at the end of a presentation.

Once Hollywood gets back to making movies, they will again have awards ceremonies where the writers and actors will team with directors and producers to create memorable films. How best to honor them going forward?

I'm probably alone in this (shocking I know) but I really liked what the Academy did 14 years ago. Its a slow night at the office right now so I began looking at past OSCAR winners in an attempt to find some movies to watch from the recent past that have been forgotten. A strange nexus was created when the 2009 OSCARS had some performances in the Actress in a Leading Role category. Kate Winslet won for The Reader. Melissa Leo was nominated for a movie called Frozen River. Anne Hathaway was nominated for Rachel Getting Married which I did see in 2010 and still remember to this day. Meryl Streep was of course nominated for Doubt. And Angelina Jolie was nominated for The Changeling. I think I'm going to pass on the latter...it sounds too heart breaking. But the other three I have not seen look to be fertile ground for investigation.

As for the ceremony itself. They did something different this time around. For the major award categories; Leading Actor and Actress; they didn't have a single presenter. They had five previous winners in that category personally address one of that year's nominees.

I think this could be an excellent way to do this going forward. In the case of Streep, Hanks, Lewis or Macdormand, it may not work very well. What is implied--in my view anyway--is that the previous winner is of a higher stature than that year's nominee; look at Leo's face during Berry's speech in the clip above. Or Anne Hathaway's look at Shrley MacLaine (sp?). I wish they would do this type of presentation again for major categories but really punch up the speeches that are given; make them more focused on the body of work and touch on the current film for which they are nominated. 2009 was the year that Slumdog Millionaire won as well. The presentation was delayed by the entire cast coming up onto the stage that was not that large to begin with. What was remarkable in my view is that Dev Patel who was the face of the movie didn't push his way to the front of the scrum and try to get on television. One of the girls who played the young Latika was apparently uneasy about the crowd and the noise. Patel is standing well in the back of the scrum holding her and even does this little twirl in place to make her smile. Class act.

If I were going to change something else as well; they often criticize the show for going on too long. I think it should be longer myself. Hell, its one night. Is anyone really injured by it being five hours instead of three? Have more of the technical awards given during the telecast and start it six. Again; it's one night. Big whoop. What always really bakes my beans about the OSCARs is when they omit a very well known actor or actress from the memorial montage. Farah Fawcett was snubbed one year. Tom Sizemore was snubbed. I think Paul Sorvino was snubbed even.... He was in freakin' Goodfellas. Why does this happen? Because they are pressed for time; that's why. Yeah...stop doing that. Its a Monday in February; it isn't the end of the season (do they even still have seasons????). If you're going to honor the film industry...honor it and don't apologize for it taking time to do so.

And now, as is the custom on USMB...this is the part where those of you who don't care spend your precious time demonstrating that you do and commenting.

White privilege awards.

Yay.

Stop their speeches. Let them come up and take a bow and get them off the stage.

I can't recall a single time in my entire life that I've ever watched any of that junk.

Only time I ever really see anythign about that stuff is whenever somebody posts something about some commie using the platforms as a stage to poop all over the Republic or to stir up some kind of division in order to keep their political/social agendas front and center.

Forum List

Back