Immigrant from Jamaica...open carries his gun in new home of Texas. God Bless America.

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yep.... the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is a sacred Right and even Americans who started their lives somewhere else can appreciate it...

What It's Like to Open Carry as a U.S. Immigrant From Jamaica - The Truth About Guns

deano-wright-ftd-770x513.jpg

Dennis Wright – best known as Deano – is one of many Texans who say, “I wasn’t born here, but I got here as fast as I could.” This particular Texan got here from Jamaica. Ever since he arrived, Deano has been an enthusiastic ambassador for the Second Amendment who usually carries openly. We got a chance to hear his story firsthand: topics include the importance of the Second Amendment, the experience of CWB (“carrying while black”), and what it really means to love America. Enjoy!

You have an interesting background. How did you end up in Texas?
I was born in Jamaica and I came to Texas in 2002. I chose to come here because of the gun laws. I believe in the right to protect yourself: if you’re legally able to carry a firearm, you should do so. A lot more people would be alive today if they could exercise their Second Amendment rights, and I firmly believe that we should do that, as long as we’re legally able.

Also, when I was growing up, I used to watch TV, and I saw a lot of ‘cowboy and Indian’ movies about Texas. I really wanted to come here! So, when I had a choice to go to school in Florida, California, or Texas, there was no question.

------

You’ve discussed some of your open carry experiences online in groups such as Texas Concealed Carry and Open Carry Texas. Looks like you’ve earned something of a reputation in Houston. Tell me about that.
I find that if I carry concealed, I don’t get a lot of questions. But open carryis how I’ve helped a lot of people who wanted to know where to get a license, where to shoot, and so on.

People of all races have approached me, Asian, White, Hispanic, asking for guidance. A lot of African-American men have approached me saying, “Thank you, thank you for standing tall and doing this for us.” A lot of people are afraid to do it because of the stigma that’s been attached to us.

As a Texan who frequently travels to Jamaica I know first hand the Jamaicans affinity for Texas and Texans.
We were at 3Dives when the band suddenly struck up the Yellow Rose of Texas and when finished they bowed in our direction.
Turns out they recognized our accents as being Texan.
Needless to say they drank on our tab the rest of the evening and they played songs related to Texas.
It was one of my favorite moments when visiting Jamaica.....that and watching the wait staff fight over who got to serve the Texans and who had to serve the non tipping Canadians.

3 Dives Restaurant, Negril - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Forum List

Back