I'm really disappointed with some people in my family.

airplanemechanic

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2014
I guess I just needed to vent about this. I'll try to make it short but it is what it is.

My grandfather recent passed. Before his passing, he was hospitalized with heart failure (not a heart attack) and required around the clock care because he would try to get out of bed and he couldn't. He would fall, etc. Well, the family got together and made a schedule where the kids would alternate days and nights and such so he would always have someone with him. Well, that was great, except for one of them. He always has been about himself. It's depressing. When we needed him he would think about himself first, then his father.

He caused many blow-ups between family members who have never had fights before. I would call my mom and ask daily how he was doing and I'd get a 2 minute update on him and 20 minutes about the drama in the family. I thought my family was immune to this. I thought we were closer than this. I mean right now I'm out of work and live the furthermost away of any of the grandkids and was really the only grandchild who drove 60 miles to relieve people and give them a chance to rest, and I swear I did more than some of his own kids did.

Now, come to find out the youngest son borrowed money from his dad to go to medical school, never paid it back, with two signed promissory notes. We totaled them out, he owes 58,000 dollars with interest. He's a doctor, making a fortune, yet none of the family wants to make him pay his debt. These loans were one of the last things my grandfather mentioned before he passed, and the family doesn't have the balls to collect on the debt that their own father wanted collected. My uncle didn't pay him back and waited for him to die so he could get away with it.

Sad shit man.

All families have problems.

I know of a woman in our extended family sitting on a million and a half that is not hers legally to administer.

Big deal.

I guess I just needed to vent about this. I'll try to make it short but it is what it is.

My grandfather recent passed. Before his passing, he was hospitalized with heart failure (not a heart attack) and required around the clock care because he would try to get out of bed and he couldn't. He would fall, etc. Well, the family got together and made a schedule where the kids would alternate days and nights and such so he would always have someone with him. Well, that was great, except for one of them. He always has been about himself. It's depressing. When we needed him he would think about himself first, then his father.

He caused many blow-ups between family members who have never had fights before. I would call my mom and ask daily how he was doing and I'd get a 2 minute update on him and 20 minutes about the drama in the family. I thought my family was immune to this. I thought we were closer than this. I mean right now I'm out of work and live the furthermost away of any of the grandkids and was really the only grandchild who drove 60 miles to relieve people and give them a chance to rest, and I swear I did more than some of his own kids did.

Now, come to find out the youngest son borrowed money from his dad to go to medical school, never paid it back, with two signed promissory notes. We totaled them out, he owes 58,000 dollars with interest. He's a doctor, making a fortune, yet none of the family wants to make him pay his debt. These loans were one of the last things my grandfather mentioned before he passed, and the family doesn't have the balls to collect on the debt that their own father wanted collected. My uncle didn't pay him back and waited for him to die so he could get away with it.

Sad shit man.

This is why guys like Dave Ramsey say to never loan money to family members. Interest? What are you, a bank? Any money given to a family member is a gift. Never make loans, unless you want that relationship to dissolve.

Sad shit man.
You have every right to be disappointed. He signed promissory notes and that leaves the rest of the family with less of an inheritance. It's also a bad example for those growing up in the family.

My sister was in a relationship with a dude for 8 years. He wouldn't marry her and they broke up. 2 years later he won 80 million on the lottery.

We have all been indoctrinated in this society to value wealth before humanity. People frequently bring that imprinting back home to family as well.

Sad shit man.
Sorry about your trials, APM. I suppose every family has that "black sheep" who makes life a bit crappy for everyone else.

Sad shit man.
You have a serious antecedent grammatical problem.

I can't really tell if you are talking about the same miscreant all the way through.

So I will simply assume that you are.

Anyway if the note was written and signed, any member of the beneficiaries can bring it to court and sue for payment.

Then the proceeds would be distributed as outlined in the will, or by probate if no will.

But if you are not one of the beneficiaries to the estate then you do not have standing to bring a suit in court.

FYI.

Sad shit man.
When you have money and lend it to family members there is always interest, interest in not paying it back. You will never see a dime of that money, might as well relax and realize, doctors or not a lot of people are down right aholes.

There are sociopaths and narcissists born into every family.

In my own family it is my youngest sister.

She tries to suck thousands of dollars out of everybody with her guilt trips.

Sad shit man.
You have every right to be disappointed. He signed promissory notes and that leaves the rest of the family with less of an inheritance. It's also a bad example for those growing up in the family.
Like I said Jackson anyone with standing can bring the matter to court.

Sad shit man.
I'm sorry for your suffering through something like this. I'm sure this has been a very disappointing experience for you.

Sad shit man.

So sorry to hear about your grandpa.... It sounds like you were really there for your grandpa and I am sure he knew it.

You can't change how other's behave as you know, we only have control over how we react ...
The doctor shouldn't start out his practice with such a scummy thing he probably thought he is getting away with. Hopefully he will show honesty and pay back the money...
Otherwise what a yuck doctor he will be with 0 compassion...and self dignity.

Forum List

Back