I'm Not Racist Because I Don't Hate

Owsi68

May 22, 2016
Sometimes those who profess they aren't racist because they don't hate are the most offensive of all. Here are some examples of first hand experiences ...

- knowing I had lived in Hawaii, a guy felt a need to point out that he knows Mahi Mahi is a fish found only in Hawaii. (That's totally wrong and why would I care how much you know about Hawaii?)
- a guy told me all about his knowledge of Judo but everything he described applied to Aikido (again, showing me your knowledge of a culture I don't truly identify with isn't flattering, especially when you're wrong)
- a gal joined me at a Korean restaurant for lunch. When her food arrived she pointed to a bowl of what was obviously Iceberg lettuce with a dressing on top. With a sour face she asked, "What's that?" (She knew I wasn't Korean but still assumed I would know Korean food? Yet as a 5th generation American she didn't recognize what is commonly known in the Western civilization as a "salad"? The English menu said 'grilled chicken with salad' but she's asking me what that bowl of lettuce with dressing is?!)
- as she pointed to a group of Asians boarding the cruise ship, a gal grabbed my arm and said, "Your family or friends are over here." (Really?! Are we really still at the point where sharing ethnic characteristics therefore means we are all related or we're all best buds? I didn't know them at all. I was looking for my friends who happened to be a mix of races, none of which were Asian)

I could provide many more examples but the fact is, if you don't think this is racist behavior then you need to look up the definition. While you're at it, look up the words patronizing, predjudiced and condescending.

If you really want to prove to yourself and others that you're not racist then start by treating all people like humans. Not White, Black, Hispanic or Asian (etc) humans, just humans. Or at a minimum, use your common sense and do your research before you try to bond with someone over what you think is a shared point of interest.

Forum List

Back