I'm going to make a dog septic system this weekend!

AllieBaba

Rookie
Oct 2, 2007
I haven't picked up poop yet out of the yard so I know it's time, lol...haven't had dog crap tracked in yet but I know it will happen if I don't get on the ball.

I remembered that an elderly lady down the street from where I grew up had two dogs and a fenced, landscaped yard...and she used a system called "Doggie Dooley". I remembered seeing the top of it.

So I googled it, and sure enough, it still exists! And it's cheap! But what is even better...I continued to research and I can make my own out of a garbage can and some Rid-X! I'm kind of excited, but I will probably need a pickaxe to dig the hole...I think our soil (what there is) drains well enough...but it's full of rock. I mean full. Not like solid rock, but rock and soil...which is really great for septic but not so fun for digging by hand.

Thankfully I have a stout 7 year old boy who would like nothing better than to be given a shovel and a pickaxe and told "Dig a big hole".

Kids are great.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ43r3sQZnM&feature=share]YouTube - ‪DIY Backyard Pet Waste Digester‬‏[/ame]

• Banned
Holy crap! A garbage bin with a tight fitting lid is $38 at my non-local hardware store.

Where is a holy garbage can when you need one?

Why not just throw it in the trash?

I never agree with Ravi about anything but this time she is correct. Why not throw it in the trash?

Note to self: The only thing I have ever agreed with Ravi on is dog poop.

• Banned
Because I have a Saint Bernard, and no garbage service. Most garbage companies ask that you not throw shit in with the garbage, though I doubt that would be an issue here....my issue is I don't want bags containing vast amounts of crap sitting around my house waiting for me to transport it in my car to the transfer station. There are only 2 days available for dumping, and sometimes I go a week or two without going because I'm not here.

So...I am going to make a dog septic system....don't try to dissuade me, my mind is made up.

make certain it is at least 100 feet from your fresh water source if you have a well!

Because I have a Saint Bernard, and no garbage service. Most garbage companies ask that you not throw shit in with the garbage, though I doubt that would be an issue here....my issue is I don't want bags containing vast amounts of crap sitting around my house waiting for me to transport it in my car to the transfer station. There are only 2 days available for dumping, and sometimes I go a week or two without going because I'm not here.

So...I am going to make a dog septic system....don't try to dissuade me, my mind is made up.
Ah....that makes sense. I didn't realize you were so rural that you had to haul your own trash.

And Care is right, don't let it contaminate your well.

Well you guys guilted me into it...I went out into the yard with my bag and picked up all the crap that has accumulated over the last few weeks. And now I have a big bag (3 lbs maybe) of crap sitting in my garage.

But at least it isn't in the yard, waiting to insinuate itself into the cracks of my kids' shoes, toes, and other body parts.

On the good side, what a nice day. And I was able to keep an eye on the little darlings while they rode their bikes. In fact, my presence made it sufficiently boring for them (unable to escape the .... BOUNDARIES....) that they came in. Counting down the minutes until dinner...baths...and bed time!!

We don't have trash service either. Ex takes it to his work place and tosses it in their dumpster (with their permission). I do poop patrol 2 times a day. But now that I have chickens, I have more to rake up which is mixed with pine shavings along with chicken poo. It all goes in one big container, double bagged, then in his truck, then off to his work place.

Thank goodness for trash pick ups....

I clean once a week and it goes right into the trashcan out behind the garage until Sunday night when it goes to the street for early morning Monday pick up. And Colonel has got to be as bad as a Saint Bernard.

Oh and we don't have a well, nor do the neighbors. At least not my close neighbors.

I have a dream....

design-septic-system-dog-shelter-800x800.jpg

How to Design a Septic System for a Dog Shelter | eHow.com

Last edited:
We inadvertently trained Penny to only poo and pee in one area of our yard.

We have a 15' (maybe 20') leash attached to the fence post and it just reaches the back door. We hook the leash on her collar and she can go over to the fence -- to watch for bad dogs having a nice walkie so she can bark at them -- and a nice area of yard for her bathroom. That everything is always in one area makes poopy scooping so much easier and no stepping in it in some random place in the yard.

Yes, yes I know you're thinking 'why Zoom, what a clever girl you are training your dog to only go in a certain area'. Uh . . . no. It was nothing more than sheer laziness on our part because no way were we going to walk her every time she needs to go. :lol:

I like the idea of a dog septic system though. Good luck with it, Allie!

I'm still reeling that a trash can is $38. Fucking highway robbery.

I've been debating on doing this myself. Keep us updated on how it works out. Concerning trash cans....check craigslist. Or go to a local hardware store and ask them if anyone returned one due to a hole or a crack or a leak. You might get it free, or at their cost.

Or you could just drive 4 post's in the ground and wrap some chicken wire around it and tie it off, you would have plenty of air that way too. Then take your pitch fork and stick it in holes occasionally to kind of pick it up and stir it around. If you don't have a pitch fork you could use something else like a hoe. You would have the makings for the start of great garden after a year of letting that air out. :)

Unfortunately, no garden. I have a black thumb...we also have a really short growing season, nuisance deer, digging dogs, and oh yeah I have a black thumb, lol.

I'm on the prowl for a holy trash can. I threw away 2-3 last year that started out as water receptacles for my horses...then they sprung leaks so they were relegated to feed bins...and eventually didn't work for that, either. I remember thinking, gosh, it's too bad I don't have a use for them as I tossed them into the truck bed at the transfer station...

Forum List

Back