IM being cheated on high speed!!

good luck strollingbones. i have 768k cable and today it was 972/279

Download Speed: 12364 kbps (1545.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1135 kbps (141.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency/Ping: 44 ms

Just about the same as last time.

i have cox high speed. its the lowest high speed 768. last night i did a test and it was 1111kb/285kb. this morning its 645/260. what is going on?

Here from reading the title of the thread I thought your thought your spouse was cheating on you via high speed cable or fios-- having a cyber affair. :redface:

oly being cheated by cox cable
no your not
you are getting what you pay for

every test results you've posted are within the parameters of the package you pay for

They always forget the fine print:

"Speeds are measured in approximate speeds, not actual speeds."
speedtests dont measure the overhead that is sent with every packet of data either
so you might be getting more actual speed than the test will show
and so far, almost ever results she showed was above the rates she said she was paying for
and the one that was slightly under, was within the range counting the overhead

no your not
you are getting what you pay for

every test results you've posted are within the parameters of the package you pay for

speedtests dont measure the overhead that is sent with every packet of data either
and so far, almost ever results she showed was above the rates she said she was paying for

I haven't been paying that close attention to the numbers she posted, but I do know that most people who complain about their service providers are not fully alert to what they are doing. They also forget that transfer speeds can be effected a lot by what sites you are visiting, how well your computer is handling, and many other factors. My only complaint is that I wish the web servers hosting more sites would upgrade so I can make use of my connection speed. I hate waiting for the servers to respond.

PS: A good example, go to youku.com and just try to watch a video there ... it's frustrating when they are getting a lot of hits.

Last edited:

I haven't been paying that close attention to the numbers she posted, but I do know that most people who complain about their service providers are not fully alert to what they are doing. They also forget that transfer speeds can be effected a lot by what sites you are visiting, how well your computer is handling, and many other factors. My only complaint is that I wish the web servers hosting more sites would upgrade so I can make use of my connection speed. I hate waiting for the servers to respond.

PS: A good example, go to youku.com and just try to watch a video there ... it's frustrating when they are getting a lot of hits.
yup and some sites limit how much you can download at
so they have spare bandwidth available for others
i swear some sites are still running on an ISDN line at times

the main problem was the comp would lose the internet connection completely. sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for hours. yesterday cox cable came out and ran a whole new line and no problems so far.

the main problem was the comp would lose the internet connection completely. sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for hours. yesterday cox cable came out and ran a whole new line and no problems so far.
losing the connection entirely and speedtests have nothing in common

i am getting cheated big time. 361/257 today
now THAT is a significant loss
have you swept your computer for spyware/malware?
AKA run adaware and spybot?
do you have any IM programs running, could your email program have been downloading email at the time of the test?

Forum List

Back