I'm A Boy-Girl

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Tank, May 19, 2009.

1. Tank

Tank Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,921
    'I'm a boy-girl,' says 8-year-old
    May 16, 2009

Now that Ben has had his final day at a west Omaha Catholic school, he gets to give away the last of his boy clothes — his school uniform — and live full time as the person inside: Katie.

This decision seems like a no-brainer for parents who at first presumed their prancing, pink-loving son who squirreled away cousins’ girl toys was gay. That was before he told them he had a girl heart, a girl soul and was, in fact, a girl.

A defining moment came when it was time for First Communion. Eight-year-old Ben declared he wouldn’t go if he had to wear a suit, and he pined for the white dress that girls wear. But neither his family nor church leaders thought it would be a good idea to introduce Ben as Katie in the Communion line. The church doesn’t want Ben to be Katie at the school at all.

So, after behavioral testing, therapy and a lot of research, the parents have decided to switch their child to a public school and to let their son live as a girl. They asked not to be named out of concern for their child’s safety outside the circle of those who know the family.

They know the path Katie faces is long, difficult and fraught with controversy. Some scientists say the approach they are taking amounts to child abuse. Other scientists say any other response would be abuse.

What might seem like a drastic, life-altering decision for their child is in fact the culmination of years of words and deeds that convinced Katie’s parents, extended family members and therapists of this: She is a girl born into a boy’s body.
    Interesting read:
    Omaha.com Metro/Region Section

It is clear to me that the majority of homosexuality is biological and not a choice.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. jgbkab

jgbkab Relieved

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +127
    If he was my child, he would have to endure being a boy until he could move on his own. I don't know if homosexuality is a choice or not, but at 8 you have no choices. A lot of children want to be all kinds of things when they're young that they don't grow up to be.

3. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    I have a lot of sympathy for people like this kid. I've heard that the best results from SRS are achieved if the patient is younger, so if this is really the best thing hopefully they can get things taken care of sooner than later. It must be difficult to go through life so confused and misunderstood and if science can provide a solution I'm for it. I also have sympathy for the parents, I don't know how I would be able to deal with it if I were in their shoes.

4. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    hmm normally i am pretty liberal on transgender but this is WRONG....(ooo i went big)..first of all little boys...go thru stages....my son carried "susie" a madam alexander doll (wee bit of name dropping and snobbiness) for about a year and half...susie went everywhere he went...public and day care....hell we would introduce susie as part of the damn family....but i never told him he was a girl cause he liked a doll...matter of fact he opted to put susie in a chest...and she is still there and you still best not be making fun of susie or a can of whoop ass is coming your way....

i think it is the job of a parent to re inforce gender roles....i cant believe a father was spineless enough to let this happen...both parents should have thought of this as a stage....and dealt with it lightly....there are very rich and famous male balletrinas and they are not all gay..(stop it little voice damn it, they are not) but the parents have done this child a great and probably life fucking disservice
    by re enforcing a simply stage of life...

i still believe homosexuals are hard wired and some parents should be horse whipped

5. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,870
    no shit...my son wanted to be a highway patrolman....sensi...cop....christian....more stages than one can image...

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Come on now...haven't we all known boys (when we were boys) who we knew in our hearts were complete sissies?

Why do we suppose they were?

Do we think they WANTED TO BE MOCKED AND BEATEN UP by the boys in the lives?

I mean seriously...get a clue.

Some people are psychologically NOT the gender they are physically.

They ARE born that way, no less than most of us are born psychologically wedded to the gender that our bodies happen to be.

7. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    These sexual deviants disgust me!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utpam0IGYac]YouTube - 20/20 "My Secret Self" Part 1 of 5[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S5usRgY720]YouTube - 7yr. old Jazz's thoughts on being a Transgender Child[/ame]

8. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    actually the people i know who were gay knew they were long before they were eight. it wasn't about choices.... same as you knew when you looked at someone attractive of the opposite sex that they turned you on.

but this child isn't homosexual. he has gender dysphasia which is an entirely different thing. i feel bad for him and his family because it isn't going to be an easy road for them.

9. xotoxi

xotoxi Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,492
    Didn't you mean empathy?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Tech_Esq

Tech_Esq Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    I'm not sure what all they have gone through to make sure this is truly not a phase and it is a case, as Jillian says, of gender dysphasia, but if it were me, this would be the path of last resort. I'm open to it, if that is really what needs to happen. But, this is really sentencing your child to one of the hardest paths I can think of outside poverty.

On the one hand, I'm glad the parents were open to this as an answer and didn't become abusive. On the other hand, I REALLY hope they did their due diligence on this and are going in with open eyes. I have no idea how this kid gets through high school. Hopefully, he'll at least be relatively small. Can you imagine being a 6'3" gawky, lanky cross dresser in high school? Not even talking about the hair issue.

I didn't see anything about doing sex reassignment surgery like Amanda mentioned. That would be another level. I'm not sure I would trust an 8 year old's instincts on that. I'd have to wait a while and see how they live as a girl when puberty kicks in.