IL Senate Race

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2004
Minnesota
What does everything think now that Alan Keyes had gotten in it? Ive heard that Ubama is already trying to squeeze out of a few debates with him.

Alan Keyes has about as much chance to be the next Senator from Illinois as he did to be elected President the times he ran.

acludem

Being a life long resident of Illinois and a registered Republican, I have a strong view on this matter. Being a former campaign worker for Jack Ryan only makes it worse.

Alan Keyes is a great Republican. His conservative views have the potential to recharge the GOP and position him to be the first black President. I have nothing but respect for the man and should he run, he can count on my vote.

That being said, him being chosen to run is pitiful. It feels like the Illinois GOP doesn't even want to win this senate seat. First, Judy Baar Topinka doesn't back him up and forces him to resign. This in itself makes me sick. This is a country that doesn't mind if a Democrat gets a blow job from an intern on the JFK desk in the oval office, but a Republican can't proposition his legally married wife for some kinky sex in another country(he also got turned down). The GOP should have had his back. Second, who the hell is Alan Keyes and why was he even considered. I know who Alan Keyes is but 6 out of 10 Republicans that I asked didn't.

This is a great man, but also a 4 time loser. Twice he lost his bid to the US Senate in his home state of Maryland and twice he lost his bid for the GOP nomination for President. Not counting the fact that Barack Obama was leading Jack Ryan by 8 points the day before Ryan resigned. I can think of 5 people right off the top of my head that would pull more votes in Illinois than Keyes. All five live right here in Illinois. Thanks for letting me vent.

They showed a clip of Keyes speaking about Hillary running for senate in NY. This clip is going to hurt him big time. It said basically (I am paraphrasing here), "I am outraged at Hillary Clintons attack on Federalism. Her running for senate in a state she does not live in is horrible. I would never immate her."

I would say the Democrats just need to run that clip a few hundred times between now and election day and they will have it locked up. It is too bad cause I like keyes, but to abandon his principles like this is a bit too much to overcome.

I'm not from Illinois so I guess my opinion really doesn't count for much, but I don't like it. I think a candidate should at least live in the state he or she is trying to represent. I might be wrong, but wasn't there a rule about that at one time? You had to live there for at least 6 months or something like that?

Also, couldn't they find someone in the entire state of Illinois that was qualified? I know Obama has a huge advantage already, but it seems like they could have at least made a go of it with someone that's from the state.

I don't think there is any expectation of Keyes winning, that wasn't the point. Keyes has the name recognition to be considered 'serious' from one end of the state to another-anyone who's driven through Illinois, knows that is one long state!

When Keyes calls for a debate, the papers will pick it up. Same if saying somehthing to the effect, "Barak, why are you down in FL, don't the people in Illiniois mean anything to you even before you win? What are you going to do for them after you win?" It's to keep him 'home' and minimize national coverage-good for state and national GOP.

Basically what the GOP is announcing is that they're chicken to put a white man up against this Jesse Jackson with better diction. Which basically means they're conceding that if you put a fancy-pants black up, they fold. Democrats, take note. The Republicans are such minority ass-kissers that all you have to do to whip them is field one with some "crossover" appeal.

William Joyce said:
Basically what the GOP is announcing is that they're chicken to put a white man up against this Jesse Jackson with better diction. Which basically means they're conceding that if you put a fancy-pants black up, they fold. Democrats, take note. The Republicans are such minority ass-kissers that all you have to do to whip them is field one with some "crossover" appeal.

What the heck are you talking about? This isnt a race issue. you want to discuss your racist tendecies find another thread.

tpahl said:
He thinks the Illinois Senate race is a race issue. You disagree. I am unsure if it is or is not.

He thinks everything is a race issue. When on earth are people just going to realize that race doesnt mean squat and judge people by their character and actions rather than some genetic make up that is irrelevant to who they really are.

William Joyce said:

The Illinois Senate race isn't about race, or the GOP pandering to minorities. If it were, the GOP would have chosen their alternative to Keyes, a black woman. Your comments show that you are the one with a race issue, not the Illinois GOP.

acludem said:
Of course William is unhappy, neither candidate is in this race is white.

acludem

I think William is unhappy that not everyone in the world is white.

Not at all. Everyone in his place. However much you may dislike my racially realistic views, I'm astounded to hear that "race has nothing to do with" the Illinois Senate race. Really? It just so happens that a half-black is running, and it just so happens that the GOP fields, from eight states away, a full black? Wow. That's quite a coincidence.

William Joyce said:
Not at all. Everyone in his place. However much you may dislike my racially realistic views, I'm astounded to hear that "race has nothing to do with" the Illinois Senate race. Really? It just so happens that a half-black is running, and it just so happens that the GOP fields, from eight states away, a full black? Wow. That's quite a coincidence.

So basically what your saying is, that a black man cannot get ahead unless white people are pulling the strings? Did you ever think that just maybe the Illinois Senate race is about our racial troubles ending? That we are coming together racially. The racial barriers blur a little more each day. The reason Alan Keyes was chosen was for name recognition. They had plenty of black candidates to choose from. They chose Keyes, because he can win. Alan Keyes can keep Obama in Illinois and Make Obama play his game. He can speak to every individual issue and make you belive him. He was not chosen merely because he is black. The simple fact of the matter is that there will be a black senator from Illinois come January. That is good for the African-American Community.

armstrong80 said:
So basically what your saying is, that a black man cannot get ahead unless white people are pulling the strings? Did you ever think that just maybe the Illinois Senate race is about our racial troubles ending? That we are coming together racially. The racial barriers blur a little more each day. The reason Alan Keyes was chosen was for name recognition. They had plenty of black candidates to choose from. They chose Keyes, because he can win. Alan Keyes can keep Obama in Illinois and Make Obama play his game. He can speak to every individual issue and make you belive him. He was not chosen merely because he is black. The simple fact of the matter is that there will be a black senator from Illinois come January. That is good for the African-American Community.

Thanks Armstrong80, exactly the point I was trying to make earlier. Keeping Obama 'home' is important to the GOP as a whole.

I heard Keyes today, driving back from the city-and a beautiful city it is! He made a good argument for his being the choice. His name recognition is the largest plus, so late in the game. He has a known stance on issues, that need to be hammered home. He made it very clear that his stands are not always in agreement with GOP stands-especially on free trade and farming.

He was strongly in favor of Fair Tax Plan and returning US Senator election to state legislatures. (Now, I can't say I agree with all of his stands, but he does not wiggle out of taking stands, in IL that is very different.)

Forum List

Back