Campaign Finance Reform for Dems..Do as I say not as I do

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bonnie, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The Demo-cash-ic Party

Fewer than one taxpayer in nine checks the box on form 1040 to allocate 3$ of his or her taxes as "clean" money for the "Presidential Campaign Fund." Only 11 percent of us check this box because we all know that more of this money would go to candidates we oppose than those we support.

Taxpayers also recognize that htis "clean" money has done nothing to stop dirty politics. Democratic candidate John F Kerry, e.g., got 75 million in federal funds in exchange for agreeing to stop his use of special interest money, but extremist-left organizations such as MOveOn.Org closely linked to Kerry's campaign continue to fund tens of millions of dollars of anti-Republican TV hate ads in a shameful circumvention of campaign finance laws.

But if you have been required to join a labor union, and like up to 40 percent of union members you vote Republican or independent, a sizeable chunk of your forced dues is being spent to elect Democrats. And this is done without your union bosses needing to get prior consent of check-off before they make partisan use of your money.

www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Printable.asp?ID=14585

Campaign Finance Reform, we were told, was going to free our politics from the undue influence of wealthy special interest groups and greedy rich individuals.........Blah blah blatty blah blah.
    Menawhile George Sorros uses loopholes in the law to spend 75million of his own money to defeat Bush.

2. tpahl

tpahl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you truly thought campaign finance reform was going to reform campiang finances and get money out of politics, i have bridge in brooklyn you might be interested in. So long as politicians have power, they have something people are going to want to buy. Money does not currupt politics, politics currupt money. Campaign finance reform should be renamed incumbenant protection act, because that is essentially what it does. It makes it harder for challengers to raise and spend money, more difficult to critisize sitting incumbants, and makes it even tougher for third parties to raise funds (which is why botht eh R's and D's supported it.

The following is a great site and summary on what is really wrong with campaign reform in America. It is a list of completly different things than you hear in the media and from McCain and Feingold (or whatever that other guy from WI was named.)

http://www.realcampaignreform.org/what_you_should_know.htm

And there is a whole lot more. That was just a small sample.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Gotta agree with ya on this one----when money buys free speech and better lawyers all we can do it wait for the anarchy and class warfare

4. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Of course I didn't think it was a good idea. I never supported it, and that was not the point of this thread, I was merely making a point that a lot of Dems were on board for this ridiculous law and now they are the ones abusing it. Again no surprise there!!!!

5. tpahl

tpahl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I would say the opposite. When you can not buy speech and better lawyers is when you are really screwed.

Travis

6. tpahl

tpahl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    A lot of republicans were for the ridicolous law as well. But niether party are abusing the law. They are just working around it as most everyone expected they would.

Travis