Ikea stores

lizzie

Zen Warrior
Jul 23, 2010
Tx
I went to an Ikea store today for the first time, and man, I could spend a quick few thousand in there if I had the money! :D

Have any of you ever been to one of them? For anyone who's not familiar, it's a huge home furnishing/decorating store with Euro-style stuff, and the prices (imo) are fantastic. They have many "rooms" set up in different styles, and have a couple of entire apartment layouts. The coolest one (imo) was a 270-ish square foot apartment. Total living space was under 300 sq feet, and it was an amazing use of space and utility. I was quite impressed at how functional and cozy such a small space could be. If I ever build another house, I know where I'm going for ideas and stuff to put in it! :D

It's a good store for mid-range furniture. I don't think I'd put that stuff in a house, but the wife and I did use a lot of their stuff in the apartments and condo we lived in in the past.

They have a good marketing ploy though: make shopping an event. We used to go there on the weekends when we were bored just to hang out and see what's going on.

Truth be told, if I built another house, I'd build all my own built-ins, but their stuff was pretty cool imo. Especially liked the kitchen wood counters/ stainless steel stuff.

Truth be told, if I built another house, I'd build all my own built-ins, but their stuff was pretty cool imo. Especially liked the kitchen wood counters/ stainless steel stuff.
I'm never, ever building another house again, but it would be cool to outfit it with some of their stuff. Did the one you went to have the wood flooring on one of the landings of the staircase? I would almost have that stuff throughout the whole house.

Well, I went with my mom, two of my younger sisters, and their kids, and one of my neices has cerebral palsy, and she is in a wheelchair, so we took the elevators. I don't think I saw the wood flooring you're talking about. :) What kind of wood is it?

I went to an Ikea store today for the first time, and man, I could spend a quick few thousand in there if I had the money! :D

Have any of you ever been to one of them? For anyone who's not familiar, it's a huge home furnishing/decorating store with Euro-style stuff, and the prices (imo) are fantastic. They have many "rooms" set up in different styles, and have a couple of entire apartment layouts. The coolest one (imo) was a 270-ish square foot apartment. Total living space was under 300 sq feet, and it was an amazing use of space and utility. I was quite impressed at how functional and cozy such a small space could be. If I ever build another house, I know where I'm going for ideas and stuff to put in it! :D

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

If I was going to be afraid, it surely wouldn't be of a home decorating center. :lol:

Well, I went with my mom, two of my younger sisters, and their kids, and one of my neices has cerebral palsy, and she is in a wheelchair, so we took the elevators. I don't think I saw the wood flooring you're talking about. :) What kind of wood is it?
It was some sort of laminate, I think. Whatever it was, it seemed like it could withstand a nuclear strike.

Ikea is Swedish for "ugly furniture"......... :eusa_whistle:

If I was going to be afraid, it surely wouldn't be of a home decorating center. :lol:

While I commend you for making it out of the maze of doom, did you actually buy anything?

While I commend you for making it out of the maze of doom, did you actually buy anything?

Actually, yes I did.:)
I'm making built-ins in my sewing room/ guest room, and I needed a mattress for a corner couch I built, that will convert to a full size bed, and I found a perfect futon-type foam mattress there for a super price. I also bought a couple of pillows.

:tongue:

Ikea is Swedish for "ugly furniture"......... :eusa_whistle:

:tongue:

Beauty is in the eye.... and all that stuff. ;)

I'm making built-ins in my sewing room/ guest room, and I needed a mattress for a corner couch I built, that will convert to a full size bed, and I found a perfect futon-type foam mattress there for a super price. I also bought a couple of pillows.

Ah, so nothing with 100,000,0000 pieces and two-step directions featuring some faceless, androgynous figure and no words in English?

Ah, so nothing with 100,000,0000 pieces and two-step directions featuring some faceless, androgynous figure and no words in English?

No, none of that. I do my own building from scratch, lol.

As one who has put together a shit-ton of furniture in my lifetime, I have to say that Ikea's stuff is among the less painful to put together.

Damn lazy Swedes, put your cheap shit together BEFORE you sell it!

We've bought a couple of desks for the kids and some basement furniture for our old house from Ikea. Loved the sofa and chair we got but then they stopped making that style and we were stuck with good frames but worn out cushions. Bummer.

The one desk could not withstand kids launching themselves off of it . . . it broke. The other desk is working fine for the college kid.

Ikea is just ok . . . good for college and starting out but I don't find the furniture to be the best. Good for put together but that's about it.

There are three here in my area that i go to. One of the things i enjoy doing is to have lunch there.... i LOVE the Swedish meatballs!!!

As one who has put together a shit-ton of furniture in my lifetime, I have to say that Ikea's stuff is among the less painful to put together.

Evidently...

ikea.jpg

Forum List

Back