Ike ignites into powerful Category 3 hurricane

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
This one could be bad.

MIAMI, Florida (CNN) -- Ike grew from a Category 1 into a dangerous Category 3 hurricane in just a few hours Wednesday as it fed on the warm waters of Atlantic, the National Hurricane Center said.

Ike is forecast to be a Category 4 storm as it moves into the Bahamas on Sunday or Monday, CNN meteorologist Chad Myers said. It could threaten the U.S. mainland by early next week.

At 8 p.m. Monday, Ike had 115 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 140 mph as it moved westward through the Atlantic Ocean.

Earlier Wednesday, Ike intensified into the fifth hurricane of the 2008 Atlantic season when its winds reached 80 mph, the National Hurricane Center said.

But Tropical Storm Hanna, meandering through the Caribbean, was a more immediate concern.

Hanna was drenching the Bahamas and Haiti with torrential rains.

The storm killed 16 people in Haiti, government official Abel Nazaire said Wednesday.

More rainfall, up to 15 inches in some places, was possible in the Caribbean, the hurricane center said.

Ike ignites into powerful Category 3 hurricane - CNN.com

Looks like it's shaping up to be another interesting hurricane season, doesn't it?

At least it doens't look like it's heading to New Orleans

Yeah this looks to be an East Coast thrill-ride, doesn't it?

And after this one, there's another hurricane cooking, and I am informed still another one after that, too

Thank dog there's no global warming, cuase if there was, then we'd really be in trouble, eh?

we need rain in the mtns...gustav gave us zip....now looks like hannah will miss us too....it was suppose to come up the inland but is now hitting the coast with not much power I hope...Ike scares me. I have family inland about two hours. Ike can do damage that far inland if he hits the coast as a 4 or forbid a 5.

I have no clue how they predict paths etc. All I can do is watch like anyone else, I guess.

And after this one, there's another hurricane cooking, and I am informed still another one after that, too

Thank dog there's no global warming, cuase if there was, then we'd really be in trouble, eh?

global warming is mainly due to the suns activitiy ....this has been a month of little or no sunspots. sunspots cycles are thinning the ozone..man flatters himself....so much more than he/she really should. We are nothing in the continim of time.

global warming is mainly due to the suns activitiy ....this has been a month of little or no sunspots. sunspots cycles are thinning the ozone..man flatters himself....so much more than he/she really should. We are nothing in the continim of time.

Okay.

What difference does that make to the people of FLA?

yeah, because there were no hurricanes prior to global warming!

Okay.

I assume you mean florida and you are showing your age using 3 letters for the states...my my....even at 55...i know that is passe'. but it makes no difference to anyone since there is little to nothing that can be done about it. People will have to accept the climate changes and learn or adapt to them.

we are but actors on a stage, full of sound and fury.....

I assume you mean florida and you are showing your age using 3 letters for the states...my my....even at 55...i know that is passe'. but it makes no difference to anyone since there is little to nothing that can be done about it. People will have to accept the climate changes and learn or adapt to them.

we are but actors on a stage, full of sound and fury.....

I may have to learn to accept global warming, but I'll be god damned if I'm going to let the fucking Post Master General tell me how to abbreviate the names of states.

Screw them and the leather bags they rode in on.

Oh, and by the way, have you heard? Mr. Zip is a tweaker.

Okay.

None. But since this is an election year, the GOP is probably praying for a direct hit on Florida so they can swoop in and look like they know what they are doing.

None. But since this is an election year, the GOP is probably praying for a direct hit on Florida so they can swoop in and look like they know what they are doing.

Since this is an election year, the Dems are probably praying for a direct hit on Florida so they can bash the current administration for steering the hurricane into Florida because "Bush hates black people/old people/working people" or some other group/ethnicity.

Heck, that sounds as silly or valid as the quoted post!

Since this is an election year, the Dems are probably praying for a direct hit on Florida so they can bash the current administration for steering the hurricane into Florida because "Bush hates black people/old people/working people" or some other group/ethnicity.

Heck, that sounds as silly or valid as the quoted post!
Except there's a lot of truth in what I posted. The GOP needs Florida's votes.

No one thinks Bush has the power to steer hurricanes, unless it is you.

Except there's a lot of truth in what I posted. The GOP needs Florida's votes.

No one thinks Bush has the power to steer hurricanes, unless it is you.

What truth? You used the word "probably" which means that you are speculating at best.

As for "steering" hurricanes... that was a rather obtuse reference to sentiments expressed on this board way back when Katrina hit NO. Members with a longer history on this board will get it.

What truth? You used the word "probably" which means that you are speculating at best.

As for "steering" hurricanes... that was a rather obtuse reference to sentiments expressed on this board way back when Katrina hit NO. Members with a longer history on this board will get it.
Oh, please. No one once ever accused Bush of steering the course of hurricanes. If you can prove it, please do.

Forum List

Back