Ignore Function Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rat in the Hat

Gold Member
Mar 31, 2010
Can the ignore function be modified to also ignore if a poster on your list uses the "@" mention with my username?

If I don't want to see a certain poster's posts, I also don't want to see if they are mentioning me in a thread. I'm sure others would agree with me on this.

Thanks in advance.

From FAQs

Can I block posts, emails and messages from specific users?

If there are particular members that bother you and you do not want to see their posts or receive Private Messages and Emails from them, then you can add these members to your 'Ignore List'.

It is not part of the function as is. And it is probably a function that comes with the software. Maybe an admin can investigate whether it can be modified.

That is excellent info. about putting someone on ignore being the same as blocking them from sending you VM's or PM's instead of being forced to make everything private. That is needed here unfortunately.

Last edited:
I don't use the notifications panel, so I apologize to any fun people who have given me a shout out. I haven't seen the mentions. And knowing that the forum trolls use mentions that way, there's no reason to start checking them.

I don't use the notifications panel, so I apologize to any fun people who have given me a shout out. I haven't seen the mentions. And knowing that the forum trolls use mentions that way, there's no reason to start checking them.

I like to use it, but when I see the pretty green box I'm hoping to see people I enjoy posting with, not being pestered for attention by idiots who have nothing of value to contribute.

Since this is a new function of the forum, perhaps the admin can newly consider how it might be used for harassment and whether that is kosher.

Can people prove I know they have me on ignore? Especially if they respond to my posts?

Since this is a new function of the forum, perhaps the admin can newly consider how it might be used for harassment and whether that is kosher.

Can people prove I know they have me on ignore? Especially if they respond to my posts?

If the software can be tweaked so that people don't get notifications from people they have on ignore, that would be a fix to the problem of someone on ignore loading your panel up with notifications. However, someone doesn't have to have someone on ignore for the mentioning to be harassment.

If Person A is @-ing Person B a lot and Person B asks for it to be stopped and it continues, then that would be harassment.

Person A & B are fictious and do not represent anyone real or imagined on USMB....

That said, those idiots better stop @ing me.

That is a bit difficult - I only have 3 or 4 posters on ignore, but in all cases I do occasionally read and respond to their posts - particularly if someone quotes them and that quote references something that I have posted.

That said, I do always tell people that I have them on ignore, and would thus prefer they did did not waste too much time posting on my threads etc.

Why not just ignore (scroll past) what you don't want to read or respond to?

These mentions also activate the notifications square in the top right corner. I don't ignore that because it may be a rep or a mention that is from someone I want to respond to. It just bugs me when I get 6 mentions in a row from someone I just don't want to have any dealings with, but is just utterly obsessed with me BECAUSE he knows I'm ignoring him.

Why not just ignore (scroll past) what you don't want to read or respond to?

If you put them on ignore, they cannot pm you or send visitor messages and you do not see their reputation that they send you. But Ropey the attention whore has found a way to get their attention, using the @ to mention them.

^^ :( ^^

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjMNOouIb0k]Crying - Don McLean - YouTube[/ame]

:)

I think there should be a way to completely hide all of the threads posters on your ignore list post. Can we get that?

I think there should be a way to completely hide all of the threads posters on your ignore list post. Can we get that?

Yes, that's a great idea. Then the Rat & the Iggy gang can taunt in the flame zone and ignore the responses.

Rat heaven.

ratty.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back