If you're under 55, you won't understand

Great stuff

I remember the pet stores when I was a kid. You could buy those colored chicks at easter and those little turtles and chameleons were cheap. Goldfish in a bowl with marbles on the bottom.

I remember you could buy a monkey at the local petstore

My Grandfather worked at Wilson's Meat Packing in OKC 43 years, no shortage of lunchmeat.
My uncle worked for Coca Cola bottling OKC 27 years. No shortage of pop in the house. I administer mine with an IV.

Great stuff

I remember the pet stores when I was a kid. You could buy those colored chicks at easter and those little turtles and chameleons were cheap. Goldfish in a bowl with marbles on the bottom.

The TSS in Levittown sold baby alligators in the pet department.

Great stuff

I can remember when Mr. Clean was straight.

Another one

Remember Mr Potato Head where you put the pieces in a real potato?

Down my street in a small town came:

The Mason Can bus - olive drab bus to pick up workers for the former can factory that had been converted to make ammunition for World War II. Brought 'em home at night, too.

The I Cash Clothes Man - horse drawn wagon - outgrown clothes bought and sold

The Savarin Coffee Man - horse drawn wagon selling fresh roasted beans for your hang-on-the wall hand grinder.

The fruit wagon - yes, wagon

The meat wagon - limited selection but cut to order. This is the one that caused my grandmother to say of a local politician: "That bugger could talk a dog off a meat wagon."

The knife and scissors grinder - truck with power-takeoff grinding wheel

The iceman - first by horse wagon, truck came later

The milk man - stand up to drive Divco truck

The fish peddler - pickup truck with a roof over the back leaking smelly dripwater from thawing ice

The junk man - horse & wagon - buying any cans, bottles, bones

The Rag Man - and his horse. Bought clothing the I Cash Clothes Man didn't want - paid a penny a pound. My mom never trusted his scale.

The library bus - but only twice a month

The motor-market (converted bus) - convenience store on wheels

and most important......

The Ice Cream Truck you could hear coming from half a mile away!

Now I wish I had taken pictures of them but dad was very protective of his camera and film (Kodak Panchromatic) was expensive.

Great stuff

You grew up in the suburbs, I had the TSS in East New York.
A great place to live...if you're a bullet.

Great stuff

Our grandparents brought us back a pet alligator from a trip to Florida. My mother evenutally smothered it to death when it started getting too big. She held its head under some mud until it died.

Yeah, my mom is that tough.

Years later, that line in the movie E.T. where a young Drew Barrymore mocks, "Alligators in the sewers" cracked me the hell up. :lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back