If You, The People want to turn thousands of criminals into taxpayers overnight,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy-y-uamSiE]YouTube - ‪Bill Hicks - War On Drugs‬‏[/ame]

You suggesting they arent paying taxes now?

Hmmmm, all cash business, no reporting, murder the competition, historical examples like Al Capone...

O.k., yeah... I'll go out on a limb with out a link and say that yes, pot dealers don't pay taxes.

:eusa_think: Can the same be said for the producers & dealers of legal party supplies like Miller and Jack Daniels? I think you'll find it pretty easy to prove that they pay as much in taxes as our fucked up tax code demands of any legal corporations.

I am in favor of full legalization of all drugs. Get government the fuck out of our lives!

Fine just don't ask us to pick up your medical tab.

But you are ok with picking up the medical Tab of Drinkers, and people who head the advice of their doctors (like my mother) and take multiple Heavy Prescription Drugs and develop Liver problems as a result. LOL

If I were an Insurance Company I think I rather Insure a habitual Pot Smoker than an Alcoholic or someone who Relies on Several Prescription Medications just to get through the day with out Crying.

I am in favor of full legalization of all drugs. Get government the fuck out of our lives!

But you are ok with picking up the medical Tab of Drinkers, and people who head the advice of their doctors (like my mother) and take multiple Heavy Prescription Drugs and develop Liver problems as a result. LOL

If I were an Insurance Company I think I rather Insure a habitual Pot Smoker than an Alcoholic or someone who Relies on Several Prescription Medications just to get through the day with out Crying.

Actually,, no I am not.

I don't disagree with you in principle but I try to avoid advocating the sweeping legalization of all drugs for two reasons, first of which is that concept tends to alienate the rather large segment of the population who are effectively brainwashed by the drug-warrior profiteers. These people believe that if drugs were "legalized" (the word scares them) everybody (but them) would run right out and buy a bagful.

The other reason: Drugs like marijuana, powder cocaine and heroin are safely manageable if used sensibly in pure form and in carefully measured doses, which would be possible if they were legally available. But drugs like freebase cocaine ("crack") and methamphetamine represent extremely harmful potential, both to the users and to others around them. So where those substances are concerned I tend to disagree with the Libertarian position and submit that government should continue to prohibit access to them.

Further, I believe the best way to approach the subject of drug legalization is to advocate for decriminalization of marijuana as a first step. Do that and monitor the results for a year. If the positives outweigh the negatives, legalize it and go to the next step, which can be heroin -- as in the highly successful Netherlands and Swiss examples.

Little by little in carefully monitored stages. Even the brainwashed are receptive to that approach.

I don't disagree with you in principle but I try to avoid advocating the sweeping legalization of all drugs for two reasons, first of which is that concept tends to alienate the rather large segment of the population who are effectively brainwashed by the drug-warrior profiteers. These people believe that if drugs were "legalized" (the word scares them) everybody (but them) would run right out and buy a bagful.

The other reason: Drugs like marijuana, powder cocaine and heroin are safely manageable if used sensibly in pure form and in carefully measured doses, which would be possible if they were legally available. But drugs like freebase cocaine ("crack") and methamphetamine represent extremely harmful potential, both to the users and to others around them. So where those substances are concerned I tend to disagree with the Libertarian position and submit that government should continue to prohibit access to them.

Further, I believe the best way to approach the subject of drug legalization is to advocate for decriminalization of marijuana as a first step. Do that and monitor the results for a year. If the positives outweigh the negatives, legalize it and go to the next step, which can be heroin -- as in the highly successful Netherlands and Swiss examples.

Little by little in carefully monitored stages. Even the brainwashed are receptive to that approach.

I respect your opinion and mainly agree. But think about this: I do not use any illegal drugs- but I could obtain heroin, crack, marijuana, acid, etc... within an hour or two. How fast can an addict get it? Legalization is actually a form of control. We have no control under the existing system.

Do you think the tab for prosecuting the drug war is less than the potential medical tab if drugs were legal? If so you have a big surprise coming.

You need to do some basic research on the cost of arresting, prosecuting and confining Americans for drug offenses. Look up the cost of police activity, the court costs and, above all, the cost of confinement. Because as it is our per capita prison census is much greater than that of China, Russia and North Korea.

We have more than two million Americans in our prisons, more than half of whom are in for drug offenses and the average cost of confinement is around $45k per inmate, per year. Add to that the residual cost of ruined lives because of unnecessary criminal records. Ex-convicts are virtually unemployable and become a burden on society in one way or another.

Even if everyone who used legalized drugs ended up in an emergency room, which is about a 99% exaggerated hypothesis, the cost would be considerably less than waging the war on drugs. Considerably less.

I respect your opinion and mainly agree. But think about this: I do not use any illegal drugs- but I could obtain heroin, crack, marijuana, acid, etc... within an hour or two. How fast can an addict get it? Legalization is actually a form of control. We have no control under the existing system.
You're right. No question about that.

A good point that needs to be addressed - same as it needs to be addressed for consumers of Marlboros & Winstons, Budwiser & Cuervo, Skydiving and Bungee Jumping, Mcdonalds & Burger King and every other consumption product that is a threat to health.

Of course, the first step is to bring the commerce out of the black market and TAX it.

Forum List

Back