If You, The People want to turn thousands of criminals into taxpayers overnight,

I'm with you MikeK. As a parent and a teacher, my fear is that legalization will affect negatively teenagers. Good kids who have no interest in smoking, might try it because they will be bombarded with advertising and false claims that it is harmless. It is not.

And as for hard drugs, no way, no how. It is dangerous to the public and addictive for the user. To say that it's not anyone else's business is complete horseshit. We all pay for addictions.

I am in favor of full legalization of all drugs. Get government the fuck out of our lives!
I don't disagree with you in principle but I try to avoid advocating the sweeping legalization of all drugs for two reasons, first of which is that concept tends to alienate the rather large segment of the population who are effectively brainwashed by the drug-warrior profiteers. These people believe that if drugs were "legalized" (the word scares them) everybody (but them) would run right out and buy a bagful.

The other reason: Drugs like marijuana, powder cocaine and heroin are safely manageable if used sensibly in pure form and in carefully measured doses, which would be possible if they were legally available. But drugs like freebase cocaine ("crack") and methamphetamine represent extremely harmful potential, both to the users and to others around them. So where those substances are concerned I tend to disagree with the Libertarian position and submit that government should continue to prohibit access to them.

Further, I believe the best way to approach the subject of drug legalization is to advocate for decriminalization of marijuana as a first step. Do that and monitor the results for a year. If the positives outweigh the negatives, legalize it and go to the next step, which can be heroin -- as in the highly successful Netherlands and Swiss examples.

Little by little in carefully monitored stages. Even the brainwashed are receptive to that approach.

I like this - it's reasonable. I'll certainly agree that crystal meth is poison... I'll jump back to my OP - "Legalize pot".

Pot is an underground commerce that involves MILLIONS of Americans.

Last edited:
I am in favor of full legalization of all drugs. Get government the fuck out of our lives!

Fine just don't ask us to pick up your medical tab.

A good point that needs to be addressed - same as it needs to be addressed for consumers of Marlboros & Winstons, Budwiser & Cuervo, Skydiving and Bungee Jumping, Mcdonalds & Burger King and every other consumption product that is a threat to health.

Of course, the first step is to bring the commerce out of the black market and TAX it.

If you want to pick up the tab for yet more problems for individuals who choose to damage their own health, fine. You pay. Not me. I choose not to. I am all for individual freedoms, you are welcome to drink yourself into an early death, you are welcome to do whatever drugs you feel inclined to. Just know this - I will not help you to do so, nor will I pick up the tab for your recovery.

I am sick and tired of paying for other people's bad life choices.

I don't disagree with you in principle but I try to avoid advocating the sweeping legalization of all drugs for two reasons, first of which is that concept tends to alienate the rather large segment of the population who are effectively brainwashed by the drug-warrior profiteers. These people believe that if drugs were "legalized" (the word scares them) everybody (but them) would run right out and buy a bagful.

The other reason: Drugs like marijuana, powder cocaine and heroin are safely manageable if used sensibly in pure form and in carefully measured doses, which would be possible if they were legally available. But drugs like freebase cocaine ("crack") and methamphetamine represent extremely harmful potential, both to the users and to others around them. So where those substances are concerned I tend to disagree with the Libertarian position and submit that government should continue to prohibit access to them.

Further, I believe the best way to approach the subject of drug legalization is to advocate for decriminalization of marijuana as a first step. Do that and monitor the results for a year. If the positives outweigh the negatives, legalize it and go to the next step, which can be heroin -- as in the highly successful Netherlands and Swiss examples.

Little by little in carefully monitored stages. Even the brainwashed are receptive to that approach.

I like this - it's reasonable. I'll certainly agree that crystal meth is poison... I'll jump back to my OP - "Legalize pot".

Pot is the underground commerce that involves MILLIONS of Americans.

It is because it involved MILLIONS of Americans that I have an issue. Again, I am not paying for your bad life choices. I CHOOSE not to. Got that? Good.

You have no right to force me to pay for you if you damage your health. If you develop mental illness because of your pot use, who is gonna pay for your treatment? If you can't work because of your pot use, who is gonna pay for your welfare?

Stop interfering with my life. I don't interfere with yours.

I'm with you MikeK. As a parent and a teacher, my fear is that legalization will affect negatively teenagers. Good kids who have no interest in smoking, might try it because they will be bombarded with advertising and false claims that it is harmless. It is not.

And as for hard drugs, no way, no how. It is dangerous to the public and addictive for the user. To say that it's not anyone else's business is complete horseshit. We all pay for addictions.

Right now teens have a much easier time getting pot and other drugs than they do getting beer & liquor because illegal pot dealers don't card.

When demand for a product grows to the American demand for pot, keeping the industry underground just makes us look stupid.

Marijuana's prohition was entirely a POLITICAL decision having nothing whatever to do with public safety.

Now, of course, the continued prohibition insure full employment for cops, lawyers, judges, prison guards and organized crime.

FWIW Maine gets about $10,000,000 a year in FINES from the continued violation of its citizens' CIVIL RIGHTS.

It is because it involved MILLIONS of Americans that I have an issue. Again, I am not paying for your bad life choices. I CHOOSE not to. Got that? Good.

You have no right to force me to pay for you if you damage your health. If you develop mental illness because of your pot use, who is gonna pay for your treatment? If you can't work because of your pot use, who is gonna pay for your welfare?

Who the hell is asking you to PAY for anything?!?

I'm asking you to bring an industry that ALREADY involves millions of people and billions of dollars out from underground so We, The People can COLLECT our fair share off the trade.

Besides, with that logic fast food should be an underground, untaxed industry so we could ignore the health care costs of fat folks free of guilt.

Right now teens have a much easier time getting pot and other drugs than they do getting beer & liquor because illegal pot dealers don't card.

When demand for a product grows to the American demand for pot, keeping the industry underground just makes us look stupid.

Could you please explain the tobacco industry?

In light of the thesis of this thread? Politics and lobbying.

I'm asking you to bring an industry that ALREADY involves millions of people and billions of dollars out from underground so We, The People can COLLECT our fair share off the trade.

Besides, with that logic fast food should be an underground, untaxed industry so we could ignore the health care costs of fat folks free of guilt.

You want to legalize pot.

You want universal health care (at least that's on the liberal agenda).

If we have universal health care, I'm gonna be paying for your life choices. I don't want to pay for your life choices. I don't ask you to pay for mine. That seems to be in line with the Constitution to me.

I've read the research from Europe about pot. I know the problems it causes - in particular, as I have said time and again on this board, it can act as a trigger for mental illness, it affects judgment, it affects people's ability to hold down a job.

So, if you want to legalize it, fine.... just bring in the legislation that enshrines that you don't get jack shit from me for any problems. If you can't keep a job because of your drug addiction, don't expect welfare, don't expect health care coverage for any illness resulting from your addiction. In short, do not ask your fellow Americans to pay for you. I don't ask you to pay for me, I'm covered. Nothing I do impacts on you. All I ask is that you have the common decency to do likewise.

The stats about incarceration for pot are bogus. Anyone in prison for possession usually has several prior convictions and/or was convicted on an additional charge. Are there any real numbers out there? How about an honest discussion about that?

dont allow advertising and dont feed the kids bullshit about it in schools like they did with pot....

Do you think the tab for prosecuting the drug war is less than the potential medical tab if drugs were legal? If so you have a big surprise coming.

You need to do some basic research on the cost of arresting, prosecuting and confining Americans for drug offenses. Look up the cost of police activity, the court costs and, above all, the cost of confinement. Because as it is our per capita prison census is much greater than that of China, Russia and North Korea.

We have more than two million Americans in our prisons, more than half of whom are in for drug offenses and the average cost of confinement is around $45k per inmate, per year. Add to that the residual cost of ruined lives because of unnecessary criminal records. Ex-convicts are virtually unemployable and become a burden on society in one way or another.

Even if everyone who used legalized drugs ended up in an emergency room, which is about a 99% exaggerated hypothesis, the cost would be considerably less than waging the war on drugs. Considerably less.

Let's make it simple shall we? Legalize them if you want to,, put the drug lords out of business.. just don't bill me for you medical catastrophes that will ensue. You guys have it all figured out down the the tee. So put your money where your mouth is. Legalize drugs,, free up the cops and the hospitals. don't come whining to us when you need help with your drug related problems.. deal with them on your own. Now that's a big boy.

Spot on.

I'm 26, was in high school 8-12 years ago and if I wanted to (I didn't) than I could've smoked weed every single day for free. Hell it was probably easier to get coke than it was to get hard liquor.

We have 2 options in terms of who do we want to benefit from the sale of drugs.

1.) The american economy, farmers, american companies, american taxpayers.

2.) Gangbangers, foreign drug cartels, terrorists.

I know which option sounds better to me.

Do you think the tab for prosecuting the drug war is less than the potential medical tab if drugs were legal? If so you have a big surprise coming.

You need to do some basic research on the cost of arresting, prosecuting and confining Americans for drug offenses. Look up the cost of police activity, the court costs and, above all, the cost of confinement. Because as it is our per capita prison census is much greater than that of China, Russia and North Korea.

We have more than two million Americans in our prisons, more than half of whom are in for drug offenses and the average cost of confinement is around $45k per inmate, per year. Add to that the residual cost of ruined lives because of unnecessary criminal records. Ex-convicts are virtually unemployable and become a burden on society in one way or another.

Even if everyone who used legalized drugs ended up in an emergency room, which is about a 99% exaggerated hypothesis, the cost would be considerably less than waging the war on drugs. Considerably less.

Let's make it simple shall we? Legalize them if you want to,, put the drug lords out of business.. just don't bill me for you medical catastrophes that will ensue. You guys have it all figured out down the the tee. So put your money where your mouth is. Legalize drugs,, free up the cops and the hospitals. don't come whining to us when you need help with your drug related problems.. deal with them on your own. Now that's a big boy.

Couldn't agree more.

But let's also not pretend that we aren't currently paying for these drug users when they OD and have to go to the hospital and don't have insurance. Seems like some people on this thread are pretending that doesn't already happen.

No, it's not harmless. But I have my doubts they would be permitted false advertising, especially something like this.

I do believe prohibition is wrong headed, and would like to see it treated in a similar fashion to alcohol. How we accomplish that, and where we draw the line for substances allowed, I don't know, but would love to see an honest discussion about it.

If we have universal health care, I'm gonna be paying for your life choices. I don't want to pay for your life choices. I don't ask you to pay for mine. That seems to be in line with the Constitution to me.

I've read the research from Europe about pot. I know the problems it causes - in particular, as I have said time and again on this board, it can act as a trigger for mental illness, it affects judgment, it affects people's ability to hold down a job.

So, if you want to legalize it, fine.... just bring in the legislation that enshrines that you don't get jack shit from me for any problems. If you can't keep a job because of your drug addiction, don't expect welfare, don't expect health care coverage for any illness resulting from your addiction. In short, do not ask your fellow Americans to pay for you. I don't ask you to pay for me, I'm covered. Nothing I do impacts on you. All I ask is that you have the common decency to do likewise.

Me Personally I don't so much want to legalize Pot. I just think it is incredibly stupid how we fight it today. The Cops Target and ruin the lives of what are usually just end users, in order to try and make them roll over on people up the chain. We spend Billions keeping people in jail, having Trials, and Enforcing these laws and frankly it is not effective at all.

We learned this lesson with the Prohibition of Booze, we just seem to have forgot. When you try and ban a Substance many people want to use, all you do is create a Black market, and make Criminal out of people who for the most part are law abiding citizens in every other aspect of their lives.

On a side note, you guys keep talking about illnesses associated with Pot use? What Illnesses? other than Emphazima which can be avoided by using a water pipe or Vaporizer. What Illnesses are you talking about? Pot lacks most of the Chemicals associated with causing Cancer that Tobacco has. If you do not burn the hell out of your Lungs using it, there is not really much in the way of long term damages or expensive illnesses associated with it, and it can and is used medically in many cases to replace 3 or 4 Narcotics and or other Prescription medications. My mother For Example, (She does not use it) But her doctor did point out to her that she might consider trying it.(medical Pot is legal here in MI) Because it could replace a medication she takes for Pain, as well as one for Depression and anxiety, and Help boost her Appetite all in one package, and more importantly for my mother. Take some serious strain of her Kidneys and Liver.

Last edited:

But you are ok with picking up the medical Tab of Drinkers, and people who head the advice of their doctors (like my mother) and take multiple Heavy Prescription Drugs and develop Liver problems as a result. LOL

If I were an Insurance Company I think I rather Insure a habitual Pot Smoker than an Alcoholic or someone who Relies on Several Prescription Medications just to get through the day with out Crying.

Apparently you were high when you ( LOL) laughed out loud at your mother for having liver problems. Some how I would not find that amusing if it was my mother.

the harder stuff you can keep...........

Think of it as "thinning the herd"........:clap2:

trouble is,as with Alcohol, usually its some innocent persons who get killed because of the persons addiction....

Of course there's troubles. There's troubles with a LOT of industries. The secret to not being poisoned by a chemical factory is to make it a permitted, legal business that helps support the infrastructure of the community it does business in.

Pot's an industry valued at $10 billion to $120 billion annually, depending on the estimates used. News Headlines

:dunno: Why should that industry get a free ride?

:eusa_think: :eek: That's a better tax deal than we give the fucking oil companies!​

O.k. - Whoever was betting that the lawyers in D.C. that lobby on behalf of 'WEED' are more ruthless and conniving than even those working for 'OIL', take two gold stars and a doobie out of petty cash. :smoke:

Last edited:

Fine.

I don't want to pay for the health care costs of women - lord knows how much THEY have to see the doc.

I also want smokers, drinkers and off-shore welders BANNED from any health care I have to participate in!!

:dunno: Does this line sound just as stupid from the east coast, or is it just me?

Forum List

Back