If you have a wood router, do not underestiamte its power.

The2ndAmendment

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2013
In a dependant and enslaved country.
I was going along a template with my bottom bearing trim bit on my router. Before I even knew what happened, my entire workpiece slid more than 8-12 inches to the left (the feed direction), and my right wrist was slit by the fence track as it was pulled instantaneously 8 inches to the left with my piece.

When I let go in sheer horror, the router took the rest of the work piece and flung into the garage door like a catapult, the stake-like end of the workpiece piercing it like a javelin. After I bandaged my wrist (initially I was going to call 9-11 since I didn't' know how severe the bleeding would be), I had to use a chisel and hammer to widen the hole around the garage door to remove the "stake" that had punctured it.

Now I sincerely believe that a router can fuck you up worse than a table saw --- and that's saying a lot!

Not a woodworker, but plenty of my car-repair tools can be dangerous. Like the time I dropped a transmission on myself... :( I once watched a guy set his pants on fire torching off a spring U-bolt.

Why did what you were working on slide the way it did? And seriously: no gloves?!?!

6a01053657c83c970b0147e38af50e970b-800wi

Open the garage door?

Stay away from 14" concrete saws. Table saws are child's play by comparision

I'd bet dollars to donuts that table saws cause far more injuries than routers.

They do, but that's because only experienced wood workers use routers. From what I saw, a router has the potential to do greater injury than a table saw. The saw makes a clean cut, usually fingers. An active router would mangle your hand in a twisting and gruesome way.

Also...the danger of a table saw is pretty obvious. The danger of a router, a bit less so.

One thing that way too few people realize the danger of on a car is the energy in a compressed coil spring!

Forum List

Back