If people only knew how many people are being killed.

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
I will have to just bottom line a long story. Young man comes into where I work. He has been deployed to afg and iraq. I ask him how he was doing....he makes several comments:

"if people here knew how many people we have killed.....there is an endless supply of taliban"

"i kill as many of the bastards as I can"

here is where I chided him...not to rejoice in killing..there is a difference in doing ones duty and wanting to kill....his reply:

"they are more than willing to kill me"

The bomb pretty effectively put an end to Japanese resistance, one is inclined to remember.

The Japanese were suicide bombers and honor suicide bots. Women and children threw themselves off cliffs when Allied forces took control.

And we didn't bomb the big island, we just chose a couple of little ones.

The bomb pretty effectively put an end to Japanese resistance, one is inclined to remember.

Actually it took 2 bombs and even then a military Coup attempted to prevent the Emperor from surrendering.

Further the fire bombing of Tokyo did more damage and killed more people then either Atomic blast. And the Bombing Campaign did not by itself force a surrender.

Ah well. It did eventually work. I understand it's probably not an option in Afghanistan for multiple reasons, one of which is the Taliban is not a country, the dogs.

So what is the original poster's point?

Is the OP pointing out that there is NOT an unlimited supply of Taliban? Does the OP think the soldier was bragging or lying about killing as many of the bastards as he can? does the OP object to the use of the word bastard (especially given that the soldier probably did not check the lineage of the ones he killed)? Does the OP not believe the soldier when he says that "they are more than willing to kill me"?

look, sometimes bad people need to die. that is how war works and if this 'Joe' was getting some job satisfaction then more power to him. in my opinion we need more young men like him.
the OP should have bought that kid a beer.

my point is simply a review of the wars by someone serving in them.

Doesn't sound like a "review" of "the wars" to me. Sounds more like a "review" of ONE soldier's personal philosophy towards the enemy. Then again, the individual might even be a fake. Naw...that never happens.

why Sgt. Maj, are you saying that someone would BS about what they might have done while deployed??? never! lol

why Sgt. Maj, are you saying that someone would BS about what they might have done while deployed??? never! lol

There is that but what I was really suggesting was that 1) the individual might not have REALLY been a soldier, 2) the individual might have been a soldier that had never really deployed or 3) the individual might have been a soldier who did indeed deploy but never actually saw combat of any kind. Didn't think of your scenario .... getting old I guess.

I was thiking along the lines of scenario 3 however, we are not a military made up of entirely "Silent Profesionals". I know I have had young Marines that just love to tell the war stories upon return home and do sometimes embelish. dose not make what the young soldier said any less true. We have a lot of bad guys left to kill and we need to take the cuffs off of our young men and women and let them do what we pay them to do.

. . . We have a lot of bad guys left to kill and we need to take the cuffs off of our young men and women and let them do what we pay them to do.
:eusa_clap:

I love this line. It really pissed me off when the soldiers of Abu-grad (sp????) prison got brought up on charges. Are you kidding me? It's okay if those fanatical religious zealots abuse our soldiers or kill them and desecrate their bodies, but it's not okay if our soldiers humiliate a combatant to get information. we'll never win this war because we're entirely too humane and value life too much. War isn't pretty . . . the point is to kill them before they kill you. I'm sick of bleeding heart liberals fighting for the rights of those lunatics instead of supporting the soldiers that fight for them!!!

CSM, you know it's fairly easy to pick out a soldier who is BS-ing about where he's been or what he's done, especially if you've been there. What cracks me up are the guys who always put themselves out there as Navy Seals or Special Forces when they're either (a) not, or (b) a civilian trying to pick up some chic. I can smell 'em a mile away.

Bottom lining didnt work that well it does seem:

3 yrs ago this kid came to the brew thur window, I ask him for an id. He handed me a military ID and ask for beer. I replied, you are 20. he replies, with all due respect Ma'am I am being deployed tomorrow and want to go home and drink a 6 pack.

I remembered him when he came in today. He had gained weight and several facial scars and still had his military ID.

You have no reason to believe me or not to believe me....the converstion was short...mostly due to it being a brew thur.

I find his remarks very interesting...in that he feels the media is not giving the american people any concept of the true scope of both wars, that was the part where he discussed the number of people they have killed and that they keep coming....his words.."the endless taliban" not mine.

You may doubt his service or his words, I am not here to convince you of either merely to share what I thought was an interesting fast exchange. I saw the changes in him from 3 yrs ago. I have reasons for remembering this young man.

:eusa_clap:

I love this line. It really pissed me off when the soldiers of Abu-grad (sp????) prison got brought up on charges. Are you kidding me? It's okay if those fanatical religious zealots abuse our soldiers or kill them and desecrate their bodies, but it's not okay if our soldiers humiliate a combatant to get information. we'll never win this war because we're entirely too humane and value life too much. War isn't pretty . . . the point is to kill them before they kill you. I'm sick of bleeding heart liberals fighting for the rights of those lunatics instead of supporting the soldiers that fight for them!!!

CSM, you know it's fairly easy to pick out a soldier who is BS-ing about where he's been or what he's done, especially if you've been there. What cracks me up are the guys who always put themselves out there as Navy Seals or Special Forces when they're either (a) not, or (b) a civilian trying to pick up some chic. I can smell 'em a mile away.

he is not trying to pick up "chicks" as you put it. I live in a very small town.
we have a saying...we know what everybody knows...very small area....not like he can pretend to be gone. I live in the higher mtns of nc.

Forum List

Back