CDZ If MLK was a womanizer does it matter?

The lack of curiosity about WHY MLK was whacked among leftards isn't surprising.

We know why he was killed. James Earl Ray was a racist.

If that was the reason, why didn't he shoot the other black guys on the motel balcony?

And after Mr. Ray went to the joint, he actually had good relations with the King Family who felt he was as innocent as a newborn babe

All over the country statues of historical figures are being attacked as details about their personal lives become known.

Columbus day is in the process of losing its name because it has become known that Christopher Columbus was something of a slave trader and a racist.

Bostonians want the name of Faneuil Hall changed because Faneuil at one point in his life owned slaves.

Martin Luther King's sexual exploits aren't exactly a secret. You do have to be careful about believing urban legend. However it seems there is some foundation for believing that he was a real sexual predator. The question that we're asking here is whether or not that should make a difference to his place in history?

If that turns out to be true should the name of the holiday be changed? If he did indeed victimize dozens of women as rumor has it...should his statue still be standing down in DC? Or should the me-too movement speak up until it is removed?

Jo
Martin Luther King was a communist during Cold War. That disqualifies him as being an American hero.

If that was the reason, why didn't he shoot the other black guys on the motel balcony?

And after Mr. Ray went to the joint, he actually had good relations with the King Family who felt he was as innocent as a newborn babe

Two points. Why shoot a nobody when you can shoot the key guy?

Yeah, lots of prisoners have a "Come to Jesus" moment, and like most cons, Ray figured out how to con people after he went to the joint.

Can't say as I care much about what any private citizen does. It's one thing if he/she is an elected official, or is engaged in illegal activities or something that might be considered treasonous, but IMHO MLK helped shine a very big spotlight on some aspects of our society that were somewhat unfortunate. I never got the impression that he was doing it for self-promotion, like I think Al Sharpton does, and besides the man is gone and there's no good that can come from shaming a dead man. RIP, Rev King. And Thank You.

All over the country statues of historical figures are being attacked as details about their personal lives become known.

Columbus day is in the process of losing its name because it has become known that Christopher Columbus was something of a slave trader and a racist.

Bostonians want the name of Faneuil Hall changed because Faneuil at one point in his life owned slaves.

Martin Luther King's sexual exploits aren't exactly a secret. You do have to be careful about believing urban legend. However it seems there is some foundation for believing that he was a real sexual predator. The question that we're asking here is whether or not that should make a difference to his place in history?

If that turns out to be true should the name of the holiday be changed? If he did indeed victimize dozens of women as rumor has it...should his statue still be standing down in DC? Or should the me-too movement speak up until it is removed?

Jo

I'd say no. It would only matter to his family.

Tearing down statues because of the political correctness of the day is no different than Nazis burning books.

Are you some kind of idiot? I'm just asking for a friend.

We are tearing down statues because the people they remember don't deserve to be honored. They tried to destroy the Union in order to let a few rich people keep owning other people. They killed hundreds of thousands of people in the process.

Why do they deserve statues?

Tearing down statues because of the political correctness of the day is no different than Nazis burning books.
No, I don't think it's the same. Books hold knowledge and ideas, can move the minds of men forward in their search for answers. A statue just reminds us of someone who HAD ideas or killed a bunch of people; it doesn't teach us anything.

This is the Clean Debate Zone.
If you can't control your emotions and language, perhaps you shouldn't be here.

Then why aren't you saying anything to the guy who called me an idiot? You are spreading your hypocrisy awful early in the morning aren't you.

Deal with it.

This is the Clean Debate Zone.
If you can't control your emotions and language, perhaps you shouldn't be here.

Then why aren't you saying anything to the guy who called me an idiot? You are spreading your hypocrisy awful early in the morning aren't you.

Deal with it.
You're responsible for your own words.

Unless you feel like a victim of some kind.

Are you some kind of idiot? I'm just asking for a friend.

We are tearing down statues because the people they remember don't deserve to be honored. They tried to destroy the Union in order to let a few rich people keep owning other people. They killed hundreds of thousands of people in the process.

Why do they deserve statues?

Does Jefferson deserve to be honored with his memorial in Washington? Or should it be torn down? Jeff was slave holder you know. Ditto with Washington who has monument there?

Maybe its time for the name of the town to be changed? How about renaming it after a non-disgraced civil rights activist?

Does Jefferson deserve to be honored with his memorial in Washington?

Yes.
Or should it be torn down?

No fucking way. That's stupid.

Jeff was slave holder you know.

Yah, so what.
Ditto with Washington who has monument there?

Again, so what.
Maybe its time for the name of the town to be changed?

Fuck that stupidity.

Does Jefferson deserve to be honored with his memorial in Washington?

Yes.
Or should it be torn down?

No fucking way. That's stupid.

Jeff was slave holder you know.

Yah, so what.
Ditto with Washington who has monument there?

Again, so what.
Maybe its time for the name of the town to be changed?

Fuck that stupidity.

Fair enough. If changing the name of Washington to Brown (in honor of H. Rap) and renaming the District of Columbia to the District of Indigenous Peoples doesn't work for you, fine.

If you can't see that tearing down statues because of the political correctness of the day is no different than Nazis burning books then thats your problem.

It's not a matter of Political Correctness.

It's a matter of putting history in it's context.

We tore down all the statues of Nazis after WWII.

In Eastern Europe, they tore down all the statues of Lenin and Stalin.

It wasn't a matter of "Political Correctness". It was a matter of "These guys did a great wrong, and we aren't going to honor them".

Forum List

Back