If Hitler Had Spoke English

If Adolf Hitler had made some of his notorious speeches in English, do you think that may have gone some way towards softening his present image and legacy?

Yeah...murdering 12 million people....it would take a lot more than speaking English to soften that reality.....

It would have made no difference if he had spoken in English, he was a prejudiced megalomaniac. He was no where near as inspired as Churchill in his speeches and writings, and he was a lousy painter. Churchill was an amateur painter, and he knew it saying he would spend the first million years in heaven getting to the bottom of the subject. But his paintings are far better that Hitler's wishy washy water colours.

The war could have been avoided entirely if Hitler and Churchill had decided the winner by taking an arts exam.

do you know what a single bullet-----right into the side of the head----or even thru the frontal bone does? One in adolf---and one in Saddam would have saved lots of trouble------one in Osama did the job

do you know what a single bullet-----right into the side of the head----or even thru the frontal bone does? One in adolf---and one in Saddam would have saved lots of trouble------one in Osama did the job

The Seal probably double tapped him....

The kind of reasoning used in the OP reminds me of an old Saturday Night Live Weekend Update gag. Dennis Miller was talking about the then new technology of CDs. He said Charles Manson had received a CD of The Beatles White Album. After listening to the crisp, clear sound of the CD, Charles admitted that he was mistaken. The album contained no secret messages to go on a murderous rampage.

Last edited:
If Hitler spoke English, the tea party would have been founded a many decades earlier.

To the OP

What has language got to do with it?

Even had he spoken Swahili, as long as the underlying philosophy was there, Hitler would still be regarded in the same monstrous way.

To the OP

Even had he spoken Swahili, as long as the underlying philosophy was there, Hitler would still be regarded in the same monstrous way.

I still insist that a language------its expressions-----its usages are mediated by the values and beliefs of that society and
----there is a FEED BACK when the language is spoken. sorry---but I do so believe. The forces that shape a personality----are many and often subtle. Read "childhood and society"---by Erik Erikson -------there are many books that describe the effects on people of their rearing--- even as to how infant care customs MOLD them---every issue from
how they are "swaddled" to ----which family members take
care of them-----to that which is said to them and how it is
said-----etc etc

To the OP

I still insist that a language------its expressions-----its usages are mediated by the values and beliefs of that society and
----there is a FEED BACK when the language is spoken. sorry---but I do so believe. The forces that shape a personality----are many and often subtle. Read "childhood and society"---by Erik Erikson -------there are many books that describe the effects on people of their rearing--- even as to how infant care customs MOLD them---every issue from
said-----etc etc

So .... I don't think I understand what you are saying...

you mean to say that had Hitler spoken English...his message would have been ok???:eusa_think:

To the OP

said-----etc etc

you mean to say that had Hitler spoken English...his message would have been ok???:eusa_think:
No, that isn't what she's saying. Languages reflect cultures because the culture develops the lingo. Watch a video, Hitler was all about power and used verbal judo as we call it today. The point is that something would have been lost a bit had he spoken English, and maybe most other languages. Look at the difference between the more formal British English and casual American English.

To the OP

said-----etc etc

No, that isn't what she's saying. Languages reflect cultures because the culture develops the lingo. Watch a video, Hitler was all about power and used verbal judo as we call it today. The point is that something would have been lost a bit had he spoken English, and maybe most other languages. Look at the difference between the more formal British English and casual American English.

With all respect, that is ridiculous!

If you know your history there were plenty of English nazis in England to whom English was their native language.

This thread makes no sense whatsoever!

The German language. prior to Hitler, was a language of culture; authors, poets, philosophers, musical composers, etc...

To the OP

said-----etc etc

With all respect, that is ridiculous!

If you know your history there were plenty of English nazis in England to whom English was their native language.

This thread makes no sense whatsoever!

The German language. prior to Hitler, was a language of culture; authors, poets, philosophers, musical composers, etc...

And science. That's why I took it, ditto my dad and older brother.

Agreed, the post is absurd if it's suggesting the character of the German language (or any language) colors what the message is. You work with the nuanes and idioms of whatever language you're using, including creatively within that framework.

e.g. Hitler used to use the singular to refer to the people, even though a collective noun ("Du - das Deutches Volk" -- "du" being singular, "Volk" collective). A psychological tool to reach personal emotion.

Last edited:
the character of the language not only colors the message ----it colors the PERCEPTION of the people who use it.

There are studies in the literature regarding the effect some aspects of language have on the children who speak those
languages-----one of the issue is the grammar of gender

the character of the language not only colors the message ----it colors the PERCEPTION of the people who use it.

Within the framework of this thread (whatever it is) you appear to be suggesting that if Hitler had grown up speaking English, then his message and actions would have been different, and if he grew up speaking Swahili, etc, another version of different, etc. That would mean language rules thought, and by extension that there's no such thing as translation.

Speaking English changes Germans. They morph in to something jolly, funny, smiling.

Schweinhund doesn't have the same ring to it in English.

Are you thinking of this guy?

schultz.jpg

It doesn't matter if he spoke english or not. The guy was insane. Doesn't matter what language he spoke.

Forum List

Back