If God came to you...

I would ask him to perform a feat that can't be explained by any other means except supernatural powers. Perhaps I'd ask him to make a 3 headed goat appear and then snap his fingers and turn it into an ocean liner. That should be pretty simple for an allpowerful god to do, right?

That bad things happen to good people does not prove or disprove the existence of an apathetic God. Yet it does prove that a god with certain attribute can’t exist. For example: If God is all knowing (knows that a hurricane is coming or that a being called Satan will hurt good and bad people), all good (does not want bad things to happen to good people), and all powerful (can prevent bad things from happening to good people), then such a god can’t exist.

I can't control the weather. I am not all powerful.

Wrong again my friend. You give him these attributes and then define them by your own pretenses. There is a difference between can and can't will and wont. You are claiming that there can not be an all knowing and all powerful God because he doesn't cater to your wants for instant supernatural intervention in the face of trouble. So we are now brought to the conculsion that because you CAN you MUST. There are numerous examples im positive you can think of them yourself. We can automatically exclude the "because you can you must" theory simply by looking at the actions of any human "with the exception of Christ". With that theory excluded there can be an all powerful, all knowing God. Who CHOOSES not to intervene.

Wrong again my friend. You give him these attributes and then define them by your own pretenses. There is a difference between can and can't will and wont. You are claiming that there can not be an all knowing and all powerful God because he doesn't cater to your wants for instant supernatural intervention in the face of trouble. So we are now brought to the conculsion that because you CAN you MUST. There are numerous examples im positive you can think of them yourself. We can automatically exclude the "because you can you must" theory simply by looking at the actions of any human "with the exception of Christ". With that theory excluded there can be an all powerful, all knowing God. Who CHOOSES not to intervene.

I still want to know why He wouldn't if He could, especially in light of the chief offenders being the very people commissioned to bring His love to the rest of the world.

Not intervening in the brutal planetary conquest by Western 'Civilization' on behalf of the other 90% of 'His children' demonstrates poor management in the least and weak impotence at most.

-Joe

You interpret it as weak but an all powerful God is holding back his wrath that to me shows discipline and concern because he is allowing us time to correct ourselves.

Stop placing words in my mouth. It is so simple. If God is all good/just, knowing, and powerful, then he would not let bad things happen to good people.

You interpret it as weak but an all powerful God is holding back his wrath that to me shows discipline and concern because he is allowing us time to correct ourselves.

He can pick and choose, can't he? Why did he allow Ryan White to get AIDS? He could have seen to it that Hitler contracted AIDS. Why didn't he throw a bolt of lightning lie Zeus, at those planes that were going to hit the World Trade Towers? Assuming that an all-knowing, all-powerful, and good god exists, there are all sorts of things that he could do to hit evil and defend good.

It's your definition.

It is the definition. Anyway, let's omit "good". Okay. So this god is all knowing, all powerful, and does not do anything- he does not care. He lets harm fall on the good and bad. He lets good fall on the good and bad. What purpose does prayer do then? “Please help this innocent child live.” “No. Naw, go away and don’t bother me.”

One day you walked into your home and found a person standing there; a person which you instinctively trusted... and that person revealed to you that they were God incarnate; God in human form; that they had heard your queries and had decided for reasons known only to them, to stand before you and convince you...

At last any and all evidence which you requested as 'conclusive, empirical proof was laid out before you...

You could touch it, see it in your mind’s eye; see it in unprecedented detail in as many ways as you could think of; you are presented the answers to questions regarding everything from 'what is time, why are we here, is there a hell and am I on the register; everything from who killed JFK to where Elvis is and that most important of all human puzzlers...'where do socks go when you put them in the washer and they don't come out;' you're given all of the time and answers to all of your questions until you simply can no longer advance a query of doubt... all of the evidence which you require is presented; matter is created from the ether, you’re transported through time, in thousands of dimensions, seeing history play out in thousands of ways...; whatever flitters through your mind is answered instantly…; all of the demonstrations, the insight, the mind blowing facts, the full blown demonstrations of the origin of the universe, presented in a vision, which you learn was actually you witnessing as it happened, having literally been taken back to that point to witness it yourself… as well as in mathematical terms which you were suddenly, instinctively able to grasp... proof, in finality and conclusively that God was precisely as he had been described all of your life; but which you had rejected for whatever reason... with the only condition (to which you agreed) being that you could not call a witness...

What would you do?

Well I served my "Life" sentence, so I'd ask if Im getting paroled early for good behavior.:razz:

There is a book out that says, 'If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

Hey Sky Dancer, it's not so much that it is the title of a book, but rather a koan that one of the teachers of Buddhism said during one of their lessons, and it has lived on since then. If you're interested in learning about it, I'd suggest "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpole Rahula. It's a good starting point, and then after that, find a good book on Zen.

As far as what would I do if God Himself showed up at my doorstep one day? Shake His hand and invite Him in for coffee and some chow, and then prepare to sit and have a good long conversation, much as I would with a treasured friend.

As far as God not appearing to anyone? Well.....considering that He's done it before in the Bible (remember, He wrestled with Jacob), so what makes people think that He couldn't do it again? Not only that, but He's sent angels to talk to people regularly, so, why wouldn't He check things out Himself once in a while?

However......during the conversation, I'd be asking all sorts of questions, principally beginning with the instruction that Jesus was rumored to have passed on to certain disciples concerning flying without any mechanical assistance, telepathy with animals, and the Tibetan Book of the Dead, which is rumored to have been written by Jesus when He went through India.

I'd then ask if He needed me to do anything, as we are supposed to consider ourselves "hands and feet" for God.

Forum List

Back