If a store did not charge you for merch would you return and pay for it?

What would you do?

• Yes, I would return to pay for the merchandise

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Fuck 'em

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The reality is a mom and pop pool cleaning company and a large, national chain store can elicit a different response in whether one wants to go thru the trouble of paying back your bill. Another factor is both the cost of the bill, and your own financial means.

You have plenty of money, so the decision is quite easy for you.
There has been a lot of times the cashier did not ring up the products correctly. I would get home and find out. Most of the time to their advantage. However, there were times they did not ring up products. i at times said things and times I did not when I went again to a store. At times I would just think things would even out. It is a pain going to guest services at larger stores like Wal Mart and such. Supermarkets are quicker if the products are from mistakes of a cashier, or it does not ring up as it is on sale or as a customer mistake is made. "Buy one get one free" deals at times are not in their computers.

So if you went shopping at large, national chain store and the store did not correctly ring up your order, and you get home to see your receipt says "paid in cash" instead of how you really paid, which was with your debit card, do you consider it your lucky day, or do you return wirh your receipt and explain they did not charge your credit card and you were never billed for your merchandise?

I go back andnpay for it

So if you went shopping at large, national chain store and the store did not correctly ring up your order, and you get home to see your receipt says "paid in cash" instead of how you really paid, which was with your debit card, do you consider it your lucky day, or do you return wirh your receipt and explain they did not charge your credit card and you were never billed for your merchandise?
If I noticed at the checkout I'd bring it to their attention but I'm not getting back in my car to drive there. My time has value too,.

I was a teenager I would always go inside and flirt with the cashier girls at fast food places.

About 30% of the time the cashier would forget to charge me because I used my good looks, charm and magician's skills to temporarily distract them from their robotic cashier routine. Then when they "rebooted" back to their routine, they did so thinking that I must have already paid for my food. After all, they recalled telling me the price and recalled seeing me pull cash out of my pocket to pay for it. But then they got distracted and I put my money back in my pocket before I ever gave it to them.

My friends could not figure out how the hell I was doing it. It was like some freakish mind control power. They called this trick my "Free Fast Food Jedi Mind Control Trick.
Last time I used my looks, charms, and skills, they charged me double.

Full disclosure: I never drove back and paid for the merch. It is clear on the other side of town and the roads suck getting there, the only reason I went is because it was their grand opening and I wanted to see what they had, and they have a nice collection of sporting goods.

Fast forward to today, and I met someone for lunch nearby, so I stopped in again and spent an identical amount as my last visit. At least I gave back in a roundabout way. :dunno:

I normally would pay it back, definitely if it is a small business, but just didn't care enough this time.

It depends.....A local store sure.....One 50 miles away likely not.

LOL.....I bought two identical TVs at Walmart years ago. I got home and noticed that they only charged me for one. I went back to pay for the other one and they told me to forget it!
Amazon does that as well if the product was inexpensive, although a company that mistakenly sent me a $150 L/I battery and charger along with a "tool only" purchase told me to keep it as it was their mistake.

Last edited:
It depends.....A local store sure.....One 50 miles away likely not.

LOL.....I bought two identical TVs at Walmart years ago. I got home and noticed that they only charged me for one. I went back to pay for the other one and they told me to forget it!
I ordered a couple of cheap 32" TVs from Amazon to use as dual computer monitors and the next day they delivered me a couple of items.

I called customer support to explain that I couldn't find the HDMI jacks or power cords to plug the TVs in. After thoroughly troubleshooting the devices, eventually we came to the conclusion that they were not actually TVs at all. They were actually a couple of mesh laundry bags, and that's why they were not compatible with my computer system.

They apologized for the mistake and sent me the actual TVs.

And they let me keep the laundry bags for free!!!! Yay!:WooHooSmileyWave-vi:

Forum List

Back