I would like to know your opinion...

Discussion in 'Education' started by nemerteia, Nov 2, 2012.

1. nemerteia

nemerteia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone! =)
    I have just joined your message board with a very specific reason…
    I am form Latvia (Baltics) and I am currently studying for my Master degree at the University. My specialty is “Educational treatment of diversity”. I am a first year student, so I everything is new to me, but nevertheless interesting and sometimes shocking.

anyway =) One of the many tasks I have is to find people from America (any countries on these continents) and to ask their opinion in inclusive education.
    I would really appreciate if you could help… It would be really great if you could share your experience and express your point of view on inclusion: advantages and disadvantages.
    Thank you in advance!!!!

==================================

In case there are any teachers from Latin America… I have another task: to contact someone from Latin America and consult on the inclusive education in general… how it works, government’s involvement, social involvement, difference between mainstream schools and specialized schools, if there are inclusive schools, advantages, disadvantages, your personal opinion… just anything you can share =)

I am sorry to bother you… but I have no idea how to complete this task without bothering strange people =))
    Sincerely,
    Violet

2. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Kiki Cannoli

Kiki Cannoli Have you met my shadow?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +839
    Hello violet. Please explain "inclusive education" so that we may work from the same definition.

4. Mr. H.

Mr. H. Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,387
    In this country if students can't pass an exam, the exam is re-written to accommodate inclusion.

5. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    .pǝuǝddɐɥ ɹǝʌǝ ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıɥʇ ʇsǝq ʇɐɥʇ sı uoıʇɐɔnpǝ ǝʌısnlɔuI

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,660
    You misspelled 'the'! :lol:

7. nemerteia2

nemerteia2 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone =)
    i am sorry to write form a different account, but for some reason I cannot login...
    anyway ) What I mean by inclusion is when children with special needs are included into regular classes. As far as I understand, for such practice there have to be several professionals working in the class and special curriculum adapted... however, I would really like to know, how it works in reality... and of course what advantages and disadvantages you see in such education... It would really help me in my assignment...

Thank you in advance!

8. Dante

Dante On leave Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,054
    run away while you still can. diversity is the last thing people here want.

the world wide web produces ghettos -- self selecting ghettos. It's a freedom in a democracy.

9. nemerteia2

nemerteia2 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your opinion =) Please don't scare me... I am already scared to be here )) I just want to know your opinion, even if it is a negative one...

10. emilynghiem

emilynghiem Constitutionalist Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,239
    Dear Nemerteia: This inclusion can be done if the teachers/students/parents are prepared to accommodate the special students. If not, it can be disastrous, depending on the students.

After I had a class of 6th graders, where the boys teamed up and teased a girl student to tears, even when she had a peer to partner with, I would have recommended to have SEGREGATED classes, where integrated students are paired or placed in same-gender classes to reduce the risk of distractions in learning from this kind of peer pressure.

So it depends on the grade level and the maturity/training level of the students and teachers.

To be safe, I would recommend SMALLER classrooms where the other students are screened to make sure these conflicts or disruptions don't happen, or SAME-GENDER in the case of 6 graders who are still going through emotional reactions to boys vs. girls.

Once students have succeeded in smaller more controlled settings,
    after that, they could be integrated into regular classrooms from there.

In general, the same methods that work for special students are better for ALL students: More INDIVIDUALIZED attention and instruction, lower ratios of students to teachers, and matching students more carefully to teachers and peers they can work with well.