'I was scared': 17-year-old fined for shooting hoops

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Cops called because of coronavirus and stuff:

William Vogelsang was surprised to see two bylaw officers heading toward him on the outdoor basketball court at the Eva James Memorial Community Centre last Wednesday afternoon.

The 17-year-old was alone and thought — mistakenly — that there was only a ban on shooting hoops in groups, under new rules implemented to help halt the spread of COVID-19. After all, he'd been there the day before, alone, with no issue.

The officers immediately told him he wasn't allowed to be there.

"And I was like, 'Oh, I'm sorry about that, I'll be leaving,'" said Vogelsang.

But, he said, the officers insisted they'd have to issue him a ticket.

"I've never gotten in trouble like that before," he said. "It was a big incident. Everyone's walking past with their with dogs. I was getting nervous and embarrassed."

According to the teen, the bylaw officers demanded his identification. Vogelsang didn't have any on him, but said his mother could text him a picture of his photo ID — or even bring it herself. Instead, the officers chose to confirm his identity by calling Ottawa police, who arrived about 20 minutes later.

"I was scared," Vogelsang said.

Last edited:
Yesterday on my police radio I heard a call where a woman wanted police to come to her house so she could report a Mcdonald's employee for coughing and having a sore throat. smh.

Yesterday on my police radio I heard a call where a woman wanted police to come to her house so she could report a Mcdonald's employee for coughing and having a sore throat. smh.

I'm not going to justify the call but to be honest, that's probably far more dangerous to the public than some kid shooting hoops by himself.

Cops called because of coronavirus and stuff:

William Vogelsang was surprised to see two bylaw officers heading toward him on the outdoor basketball court at the Eva James Memorial Community Centre last Wednesday afternoon.

The 17-year-old was alone and thought — mistakenly — that there was only a ban on shooting hoops in groups, under new rules implemented to help halt the spread of COVID-19. After all, he'd been there the day before, alone, with no issue.

The officers immediately told him he wasn't allowed to be there.

"And I was like, 'Oh, I'm sorry about that, I'll be leaving,'" said Vogelsang.

But, he said, the officers insisted they'd have to issue him a ticket.

"I've never gotten in trouble like that before," he said. "It was a big incident. Everyone's walking past with their with dogs. I was getting nervous and embarrassed."

According to the teen, the bylaw officers demanded his identification. Vogelsang didn't have any on him, but said his mother could text him a picture of his photo ID — or even bring it herself. Instead, the officers chose to confirm his identity by calling Ottawa police, who arrived about 20 minutes later.

"I was scared," Vogelsang said.
Thats an example of liberal stupidity

Allow me to provide a counterpoint...Springfield Missouri is the third largest city in Missouri behind St Louis and Kansas City...and is in the county that my county ajoins...not all police are overbearing and power hungry...

"While the order includes possible jail time for those who violate it, (Chief of Springfield City Police) Williams assured citizens that would be a "last resort" and police would first focus on getting people and businesses to comply with the order and simply go home."

<snip>

"We are not going to be indiscriminately stopping people to check to see what their status is or where they're going," Williams said at a March 25 news conference.

Through the first 13 days of the order, it appears the police department has followed through on the chief's words as no individuals have been cited for violating the order.

In unincorporated Greene County, the sheriff's office had not issued any citations to individuals or businesses either, according to Deputy Jason Winston."

If this was about safety the cops would have just made sure the kid left the basketball court and headed home. However the cops fell into their role of auxiliary tax collectors by issuing the ticket then took it to the next level with the id scheme.

We've had hundreds of tickets in Toronto alone. I can't even imagine the province or nation wide stats. Notice the comment from the former AG of Ontario, "we don't live in a police state"....this guy knows little if he says that with a straight face, especially as he is from Ontario.

I also disagree with his statement about politicians. Politicians shouldn't be involved in directing police, but, they must hold them accountable. Police agencies in Canada are isolated and operating above and outside the law without accountability mechanisms. It's because of weak, cowardly politicians, that they are able to do so.

The RCMP and their surrogates have destroyed our economy and reputation. They represent an existential threat to America and those in the know are aware of this. So when someone who undoubtedly has seen so many B.S cases in the courts and lives destroyed pretending we aren't already operating WELL over the line of what our free allies in the U.S and even Europe live in, you know he's fooling himself.

If he doesn't realize this, what average Canadian would? Does he think we lose our most talented by accident? I'm not even talking about the coronavirus situation, this runs FAR deeper than just that. Ontario alone is an insult to civil liberties.

Civil Liberties group seeks amnesty for recreational tickets issued during pandemic

Civil Liberties group seeks amnesty for recreational tickets issued during pandemic

The association has received at least 100 public complaints over the past 10 days from those who have been ticketed by bylaw or police officers for defying emergency management offences such as jogging on golf courses or exercising in parks.

The former Ontario attorney general said political pressure on police and bylaw officers to ticket people is unconstitutional.

“We don't live in a police state. Politicians should never be giving direction to police or bylaw officers,” he said in an interview.

“We've had more charges laid during COVID than took place during the October crisis in 1970 when there was an actual threat to public order. COVID is not a threat to public order, it's a threat to public health.”

Last edited:
That's the kind of idiocy that will be coming to a liberal town near all of us. Now that the bars are closed and the cops aren't getting many DUIs, they're getting retarded trying to make up for that lost revenue.

We've had hundreds of tickets in Toronto alone. I can't even imagine the province or nation wide stats. Notice the comment from the former AG of Ontario, "we don't live in a police state"....this guy knows little if he says that with a straight face, especially as he is from Ontario.

I also disagree with his statement about politicians. Politicians shouldn't be involved in directing police, but, they must hold them accountable. Police agencies in Canada are isolated and operating above and outside the law without accountability mechanisms. It's because of weak, cowardly politicians, that they are able to do so.

The RCMP and their surrogates have destroyed our economy and reputation. They represent an existential threat to America and those in the know are aware of this. So when someone who undoubtedly has seem so many B.S cases in the courts and lives destroyed pretending we aren't already operating WELL over the line of what our free allies in the U.S and even Europe live in, you know he's fooling himself.

If he doesn't realize this, what average Canadian would? Does he think we lose our most talented by accident? I'm not even talking about the coronavirus situation, this runs FAR deeper than just that. Ontario alone is an insult to civil liberties.

The association has received at least 100 public complaints over the past 10 days from those who have been ticketed by bylaw or police officers for defying emergency management offences such as jogging on golf courses or exercising in parks.

The former Ontario attorney general said political pressure on police and bylaw officers to ticket people is unconstitutional.

“We don't live in a police state. Politicians should never be giving direction to police or bylaw officers,” he said in an interview.

“We've had more charges laid during COVID than took place during the October crisis in 1970 when there was an actual threat to public order. COVID is not a threat to public order, it's a threat to public health.”
This is why I coined a new police motto years ago - "To protect the politicians we serve"

Forum List

Back