I was complicit in racial profiling today.......

Yarddog

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2014
Damn. I tried not too.
Today I was doing some shopping for my African friend because she had surgery on her foot and can't drive.... She asked me to buy sticky rice.... not long grain... not Basmatti..... not regular white rice..... but sticky rice. I didnt know what kind that was for sure so I took the bag of rice up to the deli counter to confirm with them if they knew for sure I had selected the right bag....
The two employees were latin American, I'm guessing central American from their accents.... So I asked them and they said they were not even sure.... they would have to ask their sushi person, but right at that moment a Japanese guy walks up to the display where they are selling the pre packaged sushi... and one of the Central Americans asks the guy if this is Sticky Rice for sushi....
The guy was kind and complied "yes it is " he nodded.... but I could see his uncomfortableness and the two employees were laughing as he walked away..... It was at that moment that they had asked him... I was thinking to myself.... "they are asking this guy.. simply because he's Japanese! " what the hell? So just because he's Japanese he's suppossed to know what sticky rice is?

Question is... are two latin American immigrants guilty of racial profiling? Would it have been worse if they were white?

Damn. I tried not too.
Today I was doing some shopping for my African friend because she had surgery on her foot and can't drive.... She asked me to buy sticky rice.... not long grain... not Basmatti..... not regular white rice..... but sticky rice. I didnt know what kind that was for sure so I took the bag of rice up to the deli counter to confirm with them if they knew for sure I had selected the right bag....
The two employees were latin American, I'm guessing central American from their accents.... So I asked them and they said they were not even sure.... they would have to ask their sushi person, but right at that moment a Japanese guy walks up to the display where they are selling the pre packaged sushi... and one of the Central Americans asks the guy if this is Sticky Rice for sushi....
The guy was kind and complied "yes it is " he nodded.... but I could see his uncomfortableness and the two employees were laughing as he walked away..... It was at that moment that they had asked him... I was thinking to myself.... "they are asking this guy.. simply because he's Japanese! " what the hell? So just because he's Japanese he's suppossed to know what sticky rice is?

Question is... are two latin American immigrants guilty of racial profiling? Would it have been worse if they were white?
Maybe it was the way they asked, shouting at him like he is a show poodle etc, did they ask in an uncomfortable way? Many people could ask that question humbly and respectfully and people would be more than happy to help. It's not racism, it's just a cultural assuption. You might be wrong but he shouldn't be offended. It's akin to you guys asking me a hockey question etc

Damn. I tried not too.

Sticky rice is special glutinous rice that has the high starch content imbalanced and is a lot more expensive than regular rices where the starches even out.

I was thinking to myself.... "they are asking this guy.. simply because he's Japanese! " what the hell? So just because he's Japanese he's suppossed to know what sticky rice is?

Another thing Japs are good for is to ask them questions about cameras, like what a certain button on your camera is good for? They are all camera experts. :smoke:

Damn. I tried not too.

1675561458687.png

You've gone over to the anal side of "racial profiling."

Asians know more about rice than the average American.
DUH!

View attachment 753958

You've gone over to the anal side of "racial profiling."

Asians know more about rice than the average American.
DUH!

though its a true story which happened today, my OP was mostly meant for entertainment value.... and I guess I must be pressing hard for entertainment value these days, but where else besides the United States could a white guy have to ask two central Americans who then are able to solicit a random Japanese guy for advice on sticky rice???

And hey.. I bet there are some Japanese guys who probably never cooked a damn thing in their life and have no clue how the food ends up on their plate.

Maybe it was the way they asked, shouting at him like he is a show poodle etc, did they ask in an uncomfortable way? Many people could ask that question humbly and respectfully and people would be more than happy to help. It's not racism, it's just a cultural assuption. You might be wrong but he shouldn't be offended. It's akin to you guys asking me a hockey question etc

Now that you mention it, I do need to ask you a hockey question. What the hell is a foul in Hockey when they are knocking each others teeth out the whole game ? and its perfectly fine? ... and then suddenly someone yells Icing, and someone has to sit it out in the box? I just want to understand this logic.

Forum List

Back