I thought that the military was protecting our freedoms

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Taomon, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Police Arrest 80 Guantanamo Protesters at Supreme Court

WASHINGTON — Eighty people were arrested at the Supreme Court Friday in a protest calling for the shutdown of the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Demonstrators wearing orange jump suits intended to simulate prison garb were arrested inside and outside the building in the early afternoon. "Shut it down," protesters chanted as others kneeled on the plaza in front of the court.

They were charged with violating an ordinance that prohibits demonstrations of any kind on court grounds. Those arrested inside the building also were charged under a provision that makes it a crime to give "a harangue or oration" in the Supreme Court building.

The maximum penalty is 60 days in jail, a fine or both.

The court is considering whether prisoners still detained at Guantanamo Bay have a right to challenge their confinement in U.S. courts.

Officials briefly closed the court building during the protest. It reopened around 2 p.m. EST.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,322226,00.html

So, another demonstration of our liberty has been marginalized. It is against the law to harangue or orate in the court house. The Supreme Court is not allowed to be questioned by the people. We cannot protest, we cannot speak out, we are impotent to the Supreme Court and Capital Hill.

Please explain how this makes us safer. Please explain how this makes us free?

Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am5

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    Your a retard. But thanks for playing, ohh and explain how this article has ANYTHING to do with the military?

3. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Our freedoms are jeopardized by agencies like the Supreme Court who take away Constitutional rights like the first amendment's right to peacably assemble.

If we engage in war and our soldiers are killing to defend our freedoms as is the contention of some on this board, and if theaters like Vietnam and Iraq are necessary for us to remain a free society...then why is the Supreme Court allowed to take away the first amendment?

If our military was truly defending our freedom, the Bush administration and all of their appointees would be rounded up and detained in Gitmo.

Do you understand now? Or do you need to revert back to second grade taunts again?

4. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,971
    So you support a military coup when you do not like the ELECTED officials of our Government? This thread has nothing to do with the military. You keep making idiotic threads with titles that have no bearing on the content of your thread.

I guess if I had supported a military coup when Clinton was Prsident that would, according to you, make me a real patriot?

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    This is too simple.

1. The military has absolutely NOTHING to do with this.

They violated the law, period. Being entitled to physically demonstrate -- which is in and of itself a stretch of "freedom of speech/expression -- does NOT mean it cannot be regulated to ensure that order and safety are maintained for the general public.

People protest all the time. Left-wing extremists for some reason believe they are above the very law they are such literalist sticklers on where conservatives are concerned when it comes to their self-righteous indignation.

6. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    No, I don't support a military coup. I support our Constitution. I support a mass impeachment.

I was making a point, and very good one. I am sorry if it is not simplistic enough for you. I will try and put pretty pictures in so you can maybe follow along.

The titles of my threads have everything top do with the content. It requires you to actually read it, understand it and contemplate it. You fail to do that. I think you just look for who the poster is and then attack if they are a liberal or a democrat.

I pity you because you do not understand and probably never will.

7. doniston

doniston Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Sorry fella. they were arrested for violating an existing Law Had they stayed off the court grounds, they would have been OK. They went farther than legally allowed (tho I must admit, I would also question the law.) The court is OUR property.

8. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Yes it does, if the military and soldier/veterans contend that they defend our freedoms. That is defend them from foreign and domestic threats. So far, you guys just haven't done that. You attack countries that are not a threat (Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan) or attack the wrong way like carpet bombing, or you cheer on administrations that weaken our constitution ( like what you are doing now).

The Constitution is the law. To regulate it is to weaken it. To enforce free speech zones, protest permits, and restrictions on Government property is to take away the right to protest. The reason for a protest is so the voice of the people can be heard.

Would you rather there was no protests at all? Would you rather the people's voice is never heard?

9. Taomon

Taomon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    If the court is our property then the law is wrong. If any law restricts or supercedes Constitutional law, it is wrong.

It is against the law for me to tell Dick Cheney that his policies are wrong. They consider it assualt. It is against the law for me to protest any place that Bush gives a public address because a free speech zone exists miles away and a permit must be purchased.

Do you guys not see how our open society is closing?

The military does not defend our freedoms.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    The military DOES indeed protect the freedoms and rights afforded you by the US Constitution. The military does NOT however protect the freedoms and rights of your personal interpretation of the US Consitution as it suits your political agenda.

The need to maintain good order and discipline for the whole supercedes the desires of extremist minority.

The right to protest has not been taken away. The desire to protest in a manner that disrupts and infringes on the rights of others not to be bothered by such crap is regulated.

The reason for protests in the form of physical demonstration is to get attention to some extremist cause by whatever means necessary. As previously stated, those means almost always include infringing on the Rights of others and disrupting the general good order of society.

You rights end where mine begin.

I have not stated that I believe people should not be allowed to protest, and that is an extremist view that veers from the original topic. People have a right to protest/physically demonstrate in accordance with regulatory laws that ensure fairness to the extent possible for ALL, not just the protestors.