I saw this job advertised ...they can't do this can they??

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
I always check the job boards and ran across this. Sounds illegal..

Shop Foreman/Part-Time
Haven of Rest Ministries
-
Anderson, SC
Part-time
Job Title: Shop Foreman

Department: Retail Operations Center

Reports directly to: ROC Manager

FLSA Classification: Part-Time, Hourly

Job Summary: The role of the Shop Foreman is to inspect and repair home appliances in a timely fashion while working with customers, clients, and volunteers. This job requires a mature faith in Jesus, resulting in a high level of excellence in the fulfillment of our mission.

Religious Qualifications: Haven of Rest Ministries reserves the right under the Federal Law to hire individuals who share the Christian Faith and the ministries doctrinal beliefs.

Job qualifications are listed in each specific job description. The following personal requirements, however, are common to all positions at The Haven. We desire our ministry team to lead a careful, exemplary Christian lifestyle that is “above reproach” so that:

• Unbelievers will see, hear and respond positively to our leadership as we direct them toward the grace of Jesus Christ, and
  • Believers will be encouraged, strengthened and desirous of emulating the godly character qualities they see in us.
As a guideline of employment, ALL employees at The Haven must:

• Be a born again believer in Jesus Christ, claiming Him as Lord and Savior as expressed by personal testimony and Christian conduct.
  • Believe and adhere to The Haven’s doctrinal statement in its entirety
  • Active in his/her local evangelical church
  • Agree to adhere to the policies outlined in the Employee Handbook, present and future.
  • Have genuine concern for the salvation of souls and the spiritual welfare of our clients.
  • Abstain from the use of illegal drugs and abuse of alcoholic beverages and prescription and non-prescription drugs.
  • Have a lifestyle that is free of sexual sin as defined by our doctrinal statement
  • Have high standards of personal hygiene and housekeeping relative to cleanliness and appearance.
  • Have the ability to work in harmony with other staff members, be committed to unity, teamwork, and biblical respect for the Haven’s leadership (Phil.2:1-4; Heb. 13:7,17).
In areas of Christian liberty, we ask you to exercise discretion with the focus of being a positive, godly role model in our community. Our message is Christ, the cross and what is clear in scripture.

Religious organizations can hire people based on religious beliefs ... that is why we have very few Jewish nuns.

I wouldn't want to work there anyway.

Me either but can they legally do this?
It's a ministry, yes.

It's a job checking and working on wash machines and vacuum cleaners.
The "employer" is a ministry, what the job entails is of no consequence in this context.

So they don't have to go by federal labor laws?
Ever hear of separation of church and state...........? Kind of a double edged sword at times.

It's a ministry, yes.

The "employer" is a ministry, what the job entails is of no consequence in this context.

Oh yea they are a non profit
Exactly as are most ministries.

It's a ministry, yes.

Ever hear of separation of church and state...........? Kind of a double edged sword at times.

I didn't think it was someone who mows the lawn, but don't the worker have to pay federal and state taxes ?

It's a ministry, yes.

Oh yea they are a non profit
Exactly as are most ministries.

Thanks for showing me that part had a brain fart..

It's a ministry, yes.

I didn't think it was someone who mows the lawn, but don't the worker have to pay federal and state taxes ?
Don't know, never worked for a ministry.

It's a ministry, yes.

They are paid by the miracle.

It's a ministry, yes.

They are paid by the miracle.
Per mile.........

Forum List

Back