I propose zip codes can only be declared a disaster area once for a type of disaster.

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
Being pro-small government, wanting to do things that make Americans more competitive and wanting to make ppl self sufficient I would like to make each zip code across the nation only eligible for disaster aid once for any one type of disaster.

If you get earthquaked and your home falls in Uncle Sam will buy it from you once. The second time, nope.

If your home floods once, great, we will keep this surprise from removing you from the middle class. Second time I might not even send a helicopter to save you. That's what your state's National Guard is for, go pay them.

This should slowly encourage folks to build homes which are appropriate for their environment or move someplace that is safe.

This should make small government folks happy for the obvious reasons. This should make the huggies happy because I'm removing folks from harm's way. This may anger some construction companies at first though.

Give me some criticism and constructive advice please.

After a few dozen years there will be no place to live. Tornados all over the place, California faults, coastline flooding, rivers overflowing... It would eventually cover most of the most populous places on the US, especially the coastline. One bail-out is too stringent. How about an expiration time such as a few years before eligible for relief again.

After a few dozen years there will be no place to live. Tornados all over the place, California faults, coastline flooding, rivers overflowing... It would eventually cover most of the most populous places on the US, especially the coastline. One bail-out is too stringent. How about an expiration time such as a few years before eligible for relief again.

I hear you. Maybe a zip code is too large an area also, census tract or individual property will probably have to be used. For example, my house isn't going to flood until we need to build an ark. There are some folks in my zip code though who got rebuilt, in the exact same place.

Hmmmmm.....

We are America

We help those who need helping

Being pro-small government, wanting to do things that make Americans more competitive and wanting to make ppl self sufficient I would like to make each zip code across the nation only eligible for disaster aid once for any one type of disaster.

If you get earthquaked and your home falls in Uncle Sam will buy it from you once. The second time, nope.

If your home floods once, great, we will keep this surprise from removing you from the middle class. Second time I might not even send a helicopter to save you. That's what your state's National Guard is for, go pay them.

This should slowly encourage folks to build homes which are appropriate for their environment or move someplace that is safe.

This should make small government folks happy for the obvious reasons. This should make the huggies happy because I'm removing folks from harm's way. This may anger some construction companies at first though.

/----/ I agree in part but did you know that Manhattan is about 24 square miles and has 46 zip codes? How would you regulate that when there are buildings with their own zip code?
How many zip codes does the island of Manhattan have?
Including all of these things, Manhattan has 46 zip codes (by my count, anyway). See the Related Link below for the zip code map I used, but note that it is a bit outdated: the 10021 zip code has ...

So where would 300 million people live???

Not a place safe on earth.

/----/ We'll all move to Right Winger's house. I got dibs on the guest room.
iu

/----/ We'll all move to Right Winger's house. I got dibs on the guest room.
iu

Well he does say he has a wall around it.

So....

You can’t live on the Gulf Coast or Southern Atlantic States.....Hurricanes
Can’t live in California.....Earthquakes and Wildfires
Can’t live in Prarie States......Tornadoes
Can’t live up north........Blizards
Can’t live in Texas, Louisiana, River Country....Floods

Who does that leave ??

So....

Who does that leave ??

Fantasyland...

Where in the Constitution does it say the government should be involved in disaster relief?

So....

Who does that leave ??

North , blizzards?

According to the AGW crowd alligators will be living in the North Pole .

So....

Who does that leave ??

Fantasyland...
USA

So....

Who does that leave ??

Several of you all have brought up similar concerns. Thank you all.

My point in implementing this bit of small government would be to limit repeated government payouts to disaster prone areas not to tell por eople not to live there. If you want to live in Miami or wherever that is fine. Just there is a limit to the welfare you can expect because of that choice. Same with St Louis or Cleveland, Los Angeles, wherever.

Also I'm not limiting your private insurance. Even if your house got leveled by the hypothetical San Francisco quake of 2042 you can rebuild and get private insurance. Just don't expect Federal Aid if it happens again.

So....

Who does that leave ??

My point in implementing this bit of small government would be to limit repeated government payouts to disaster prone areas not to tell por eople not to live there. If you want to live in Miami or wherever that is fine. Just there is a limit to the welfare you can expect because of that choice. Same with St Louis or Cleveland, Los Angeles, wherever.

Also I'm not limiting your private insurance. Even if your house got leveled by the hypothetical San Francisco quake of 2042 you can rebuild and get private insurance. Just don't expect Federal Aid if it happens again.
Federal aid is more than rebuilding your 3 bedroom ranch. It is about rebuilding communities. Roads, bridges, schools, electricity, water
That is where the money is

We are America.....we help each other

So....

Who does that leave ??

Federal aid is more than rebuilding your 3 bedroom ranch. It is about rebuilding communities. Roads, bridges, schools, electricity, water

Yeah, I hear you. I'm not talking about letting people die the first time a volcano erupts and smothers Klamath Falls or something. In fact I'd say I'm gently trying to prevent having to save the same people from the same river floods or the same hurricane predictable events decade after decade. Otherwise I am just setting Houston or New Orleans up for repeated failures and repeatedly counting on big government help.

(full disclosure, St Louis where I'm from is the worst, we have very predictable river flooding and the same families in the same places always get the aid. Its a way of life)

How about no bail out? Sounds perfectly reasonable to me...

So....

Who does that leave ??

When it’s done at the point of a gun, involuntarily, and without individual consent; it isn’t “help”. It’s extortion...

Better idea - Let’s go with the Constitutional option: No disaster relief at all.

The Constitution doesn't mandate that if I recall and its one step harsher than I think is necessary.

Too big a change, even a good change, can be disruptive. If my kid needs to learn how to work on cars and its important to have the car running anytime soon, we should start by changing the oil not pulling a motor.

Forum List

Back