i like scotland

I like Scotland too. Where else can you go to see people with blue faces?

1704031033789.jpeg

My brief trip to Scotland was very impressive. Beautiful scenery, priceless old castles and whatnot, good social atmosphere. Incredible how difficult it was to understand what the fuck the uneducated locals were talking about. That was English, I suppose, but...

My brief trip to Scotland was very impressive. Beautiful scenery, priceless old castles and whatnot, good social atmosphere. Incredible how difficult it was to understand what the fuck the uneducated locals were talking about. That was English, I suppose, but...
Galic, not English.

414481254_6959600687492830_6343324380782803969_n.jpg

December 31st is celebrated in Scotland as Hogmanay. The holiday may date back to the Norse celebration of the winter solstice, while it also incorporates customs from the Gaelic celebration of Samhain. Since Christmas was not observed in Presbyterian Scotland (nor in Puritan Massachusetts) for many years, Hogmanay became the traditional winter celebration.

Many national and local customs are associated with Hogmanay. The best-known national custom is “first-footing.” The first person—preferably a tall, dark man—to cross a friend’s or neighbor’s threshold after midnight brings symbolic gifts: salt, coal, shortbread, whisky, or black bun (a rich fruit cake), to bring luck to the householder. In return, food and drink are offered to the guest. First-footing may go on throughout the early hours of the morning, into the next day, and sometimes even into the middle of January! The practice is believed to set luck for the rest of the year.

A local Hogmanay custom is the fireball swinging that takes place in Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, in northeast Scotland. Local people make "balls" of chicken wire filled with old newspaper, sticks, rags, and other flammable material, up to two feet in diameter, each attached to about three feet of wire or chain. As the Old Town House bell marks the New Year, the balls are set alight and the swingers set off up the High Street from the Mercat Cross to the Cannon and back, swinging the burning balls around their heads as they go. The practice recalls the swinging of incense thuribles in high-church Christian worship services.

Forum List

Back