"I have lost understanding of and confidence..."

Discussion in 'Politics' started by mal, Oct 27, 2009.

1. mal

mal Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,028
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Sweetchuck

Sweetchuck BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6
    BO has no interest in pursuing victory in Afghanistan or against terrorism.

He's content to let this issue sit on the backburner while our troops are dying.

3. Bill O'Olberman

Bill O'Olberman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124

I guess now that a Republican is out of the oval office Republicans are more than happy to start the comparisons between Iraq or Afghanistan to Vietnam... a comparison that 2 years ago Republicans would have vehemently disagreed with(and I agreed with them).

Of course it was Bush's complete and utter neglect of the Afghanistan War that left Afghanistan in such a shitty state. But hey fuck it, Bush never actually wanted to really fight those actually responsible for 9/11...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  4. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,816
    Good!

Hopefully he'll see it as the losing proposition that it is and get us the hell out of there ASAP.

5. Oldandtired

Oldandtired BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Nice assumption with total neglect of the facts.

Conservatives and many republicans are alarmed at the lack of timely decision making of this president in regard to A-stan...and invariably such reults in a likely retreat.

We do not want to retreat...but if we are going to retreat, then yes, it will resemble what we did in Vietnam....and I do not see anything wrong with pointing out the comparison.

What I find ironic, however, is how the progressives of this nation were all over the "amount dead" over the last 8 years...and now rarely mention them and the press rarely discuss them.

But please...continue with your pointing out hypocrisy where it does not exist and ignore it where it does.

6. mal

mal Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,028
    Mr. Wrong, meet Mr. Clean... NOT a REPUBLICan:

:)

peace...

7. Sarah G

Sarah G When Nothing Goes Right, Go Left Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,975
    I agree. The war started as it should have, a war against terrorism. It was when they suddenly changed horses and went to Iraq that was questionable. Iraq became too hard to sell especially when the Bush administration couldn't get their stories straight about why.

I like Obama but it's going to get tough if he doesn't get Afghanistan under control now.

8. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,908
    Libs 2008: "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism"

Libs 2009: "Dissent is the most obvious sign of racism"

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. Oldandtired

Oldandtired BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Like him or not, you can not deny that Bush made military decisions without concern of his popularity.
    That is how military decisions MUST be made...as war is NEVER popular.
    Seems Obama is waiting for the poll numbers to make his decision.
    There is absolutley nothing else he could be waiting for....and it is sinful he is using the A-stan elections as his reason for waiting....as he could make his decisoons NOW BASED on the different results of the elctions...and implement the decision immediately at that time, based on the election results.

HIS way is waiting, then making the decison...and THEN implementing it...and that is wasting a lot of dead time...and soldiers are dying in the meantime.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  10. Bill O'Olberman

Bill O'Olberman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124
    So did the Obama Administration single handedly fucked Afghanistan up over the course of the last 10 months with its lack of timely decisions? Before then it was a well handled conflict that we were well on our way to achieving victory? Vietnam like retreat... I dont know what exactly that is supposed to connote. Still I have always opposed comparing any element of Afghanistan or Iraq to Vietnam as all it is is politically charged rhetoric filled with negative connotations.

I just went to CNN.com, MSNBC.com, and news.yahoo.com and a top headline on each was 8 U.S. soldiers dying. The death counts stoped being a big story towards the end of Bush's second term... I think the economy tanking ended the dramatic effect of it. Also most people viewed the wars specifically Iraq as Bush's war so the deaths were the result of his inane war which he led the country into under false pretenses.