I hadn't realized Congress declared war against Syria

Anyone care to lay bets as to whether Obama obeys the War Powers Resolution and approaches Congress within 48 hours?

It's NATO and theUN. The world government and it's chairman don't need congressional authority to use NATO military power. The US belongs to NATO and the UN. So he will claim the same thing he claimed in Libya and snub his nose at congress.

Supporters will cheer.

Anyone care to lay bets as to whether Obama obeys the War Powers Resolution and approaches Congress within 48 hours?

It's NATO and theUN. The world government and it's chairman don't need congressional authority to use NATO military power. The US belongs to NATO and the UN. So he will claim the same thing he claimed in Libya and snub his nose at congress.

Supporters will cheer.
Those same supporters who hated GWB for snubbing his nose at the UN.

Can we call this an "illegal war" too?

Seems fair.

Supporters will cheer.
Those same supporters who hated GWB for snubbing his nose at the UN.

Can we call this an "illegal war" too?

Seems fair.

It pretty much is, yes.

We didn't declare war? Ah well, Constitution smonstitution...I'm sure our dear leaders know what's best...

The U.S. will send two batteries of Patriot missiles and 400 troops to Turkey as part of a NATO force meant to protect Turkish territory from potential Syrian missile attack

Pentagon to send missiles, 400 troops to Turkey - Yahoo! News

Who's declared war? You appear to be unaware of the facts on this situation.

Turkey asked NATO for assistance in bulking up its border defences. On the 4th December NATO foreign ministers agreed to send missile batteries to Turkey. The batteries and troops to operate them being drawn from not only the US, but Germany and the Netherlands too.

It's what NATO does when a member nation seeks assistance.

NATO foreign ministers on Tuesday endorsed a decision to send Patriot missile batteries to Turkey, and expressed “grave” concerns about reports of heightened activity at Syria’s chemical weapons sites.

Turkey, which has supported the Syrian opposition to President Bashar al-Assad’s government, requested the batteries last month, fearing that it might be vulnerable to a Syrian missile attack, possibly with chemical weapons.

“Turkey asked for NATO’s support, and we stand with Turkey in a spirit of strong solidarity,” Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the secretary general of the alliance, said in Brussels. “To anyone who would want to attack Turkey, we say, ‘Don’t even think about it.’ ”

In approving the decision, NATO said it would “augment” Turkey’s air defenses even as it sought to underscore the defensive nature of the mission, which it said was not intended to establish a buffer zone in northern Syria or a no-fly zone over the country.

The missile batteries, drawn from American, German and Dutch forces, will not be operational in Turkey for several weeks, diplomats said. NATO’s military arm will work with the nations as they decide how many batteries to deploy in Turkey and for how long.

NATO couched the decision as a statement of its resolve, but Mr. Rasmussen expressed a cautious, even minimalist, vision of the alliance’s role in dealing with humanitarian crises beyond its members’ borders. Mr. Rasmussen described the fighting in Syria, which has killed more than 40,000 people, as “absolutely outrageous” and said nations had a responsibility to find a political solution. But in contrast, he said, “NATO’s responsibility is to protect populations and territories of NATO allied nations,” and he emphasized that the alliance would not intervene in Syria to stop the violence. “We have no intention to intervene militarily,” he said.

NATO Backs Defense Plan for Turkey – World Latest News

The only way NATO would go into Syria is if Assad loses it and attacks Turkey or uses chemical warheads, I am sure he has people around him telling him not to do these things.

Supporters will cheer.
Ah, true. I forgot about that sleight of hand. Change!

We didn't declare war? Ah well, Constitution smonstitution...I'm sure our dear leaders know what's best...

The U.S. will send two batteries of Patriot missiles and 400 troops to Turkey as part of a NATO force meant to protect Turkish territory from potential Syrian missile attack

Turkey asked NATO for assistance in bulking up its border defences. On the 4th December NATO foreign ministers agreed to send missile batteries to Turkey. The batteries and troops to operate them being drawn from not only the US, but Germany and the Netherlands too.

NATO foreign ministers on Tuesday endorsed a decision to send Patriot missile batteries to Turkey, and expressed “grave” concerns about reports of heightened activity at Syria’s chemical weapons sites.

Turkey, which has supported the Syrian opposition to President Bashar al-Assad’s government, requested the batteries last month, fearing that it might be vulnerable to a Syrian missile attack, possibly with chemical weapons.

“Turkey asked for NATO’s support, and we stand with Turkey in a spirit of strong solidarity,” Anders Fogh Rasmussen, the secretary general of the alliance, said in Brussels. “To anyone who would want to attack Turkey, we say, ‘Don’t even think about it.’ ”

In approving the decision, NATO said it would “augment” Turkey’s air defenses even as it sought to underscore the defensive nature of the mission, which it said was not intended to establish a buffer zone in northern Syria or a no-fly zone over the country.

The missile batteries, drawn from American, German and Dutch forces, will not be operational in Turkey for several weeks, diplomats said. NATO’s military arm will work with the nations as they decide how many batteries to deploy in Turkey and for how long.

NATO couched the decision as a statement of its resolve, but Mr. Rasmussen expressed a cautious, even minimalist, vision of the alliance’s role in dealing with humanitarian crises beyond its members’ borders. Mr. Rasmussen described the fighting in Syria, which has killed more than 40,000 people, as “absolutely outrageous” and said nations had a responsibility to find a political solution. But in contrast, he said, “NATO’s responsibility is to protect populations and territories of NATO allied nations,” and he emphasized that the alliance would not intervene in Syria to stop the violence. “We have no intention to intervene militarily,” he said.

So that's your justification for sending American troops back into Iraq?

So that's your justification for sending American troops back into Iraq?

The thread is about missile batteries in turkey. I'm responding to the op. PAY ATTENTION!

Who's declared war?

Not Congress. That's the problem.

You appear to be unaware of the facts on this situation.

What NATO does or does not do isn't a substitute for the Constitutional duty of Congress to declare war before sending troops to a foreign land.

I realize many think this little step of letting the people decide about such things is unnecessary. I disagree.

War-mongering. Okay.

El Salvador, 1981-1992.

Nicaragua, 1981-1990.

Lebanon, 1982-1984.

Grenada, 1983-1984.

Honduras, 1983-1989.

Libya, 1986.

Bolivia, 1986.

Iran, 1987-1988.

Libya, 1989.

Philippines, 1989.

Panama, 1989.

Saudi Arabia, Oman, Qatar, Bahrain, UAE, Israel, 1990-1991.

Iraq, Kuwait, 1990-1991.

Iraq, 1991-2003.

Los Angeles, 1992.

Somalia, 1992-1994.

Yugoslavia, 1992-1994.

Bosnia, 1993-Present.

Haiti, 1994.

Congo, 1996-1997.

Sudan, 1998.

Afghanistan, 1998.

Iraq, 1998.

Yugoslavia, 1999.

Macedonia, 2001.

Afghanistan, 2001-Present.

Yemen, 2002.

Philippines, 2002

Colombia, 2003-Present

Iraq, 2003-Present.

Liberia, 2003.

Haiti, 2004-2005.

Pakistan, 2005-Present.

Somalia, 2006-Present.

Syria, 2008.

Yemen, 2009-Present.

Libya, 2011-Present.

Yep. It's been a problem for along time. Both sides have done it and both, IMO, should stop. I say if we really need to send troops to another country, Congress should first declare war. That's the law of the land and it makes good sense in my opinion.

I also think Congress should have to PAY for their wars too, but that's a different topic.

Good thing we're not engaging in a war with Syria.

You dumb fucks are funny when you try to be ironic.

Good thing we're not engaging in a war with Syria.

You dumb fucks are funny when you try to be ironic.

Of course you're right...those rockets are really just "happy bombs" and the soldiers are carrying rifles that shoot flowers and sunshine...:doubt:

For what?

He has not initiated any military offensive actions, dipshit. It is well within the Command-in-Chief's purview to redeploy military resources.

Get a clue.

Who's declared war?

What NATO does or does not do isn't a substitute for the Constitutional duty of Congress to declare war before sending troops to a foreign land.

I realize many think this little step of letting the people decide about such things is unnecessary. I disagree.

Declare war? There is no intention of aggression. There is no call for a declaration of war. It's simply a defensive initiative to protect against the possibility of Syria using missiles against Turkey.

Who's declared war?

Declare war? There is no intention of aggression. There is no call for a declaration of war. It's simply a defensive initiative to protect against the possibility of Syria using missiles against Turkey.

Right....those troops are what, caterers? Dancers? Maybe an acting troupe...gonna put on a little Shakespeare?

If it's no big deal, it ought to be no big deal for Congress to okay this action.

Supporters will cheer.

Yes they will.

Of course if it were Bush they would scream like stuck pigs no matter the reason given.

Assad is going to gone one way or the other and I rather think troops and missles in Turkey are a good idea.

Turkey is an allie and who the fuck knows who the hell will take over in Syria once Assad is gone? More Muslim Brootherhood or some other jihadist group ala Libya and Egypt??

I think I'll wait and see what developes. It may well be a very good move.

Right....those troops are what, caterers? Dancers? Maybe an acting troupe...gonna put on a little Shakespeare?

If it's no big deal, it ought to be no big deal for Congress to okay this action.

That may well be what they'll end up doing as I very much doubt they'll have anything else to do.

Forum List

Back