I got old real fast today...

Old is good ... you get senior coupon discounts, senior 10% discount days each week ... you get to distress your children with your "childish" antics and hear them wail about the hard time they're having raising you only to grin and say to them, "Turn around is fair play." What's not to like?

So I'm watching a wildlife documentary on PBS (sign #1), and it was REALLY interesting, about how wolves and coyotes can't mate, but there's this other canine that can breed with both. And therefore transfer genes from wolves to coyotes, and vice-versa... but anyway!

It ended.

Lawrence Welk came on.

And I didn't immediately shut it off.........

I actually sang along with 3 songs before I shut it off!!!

Should I just veer into oncoming traffic, or just take it as a sign I'm getting old, and get over it?!?

It's totally hipster to be retro, hun. Go buy a few Andy Williams albums on vinyl and get your groove on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always wanted to play the piano. Never did though. I can pink out a tune with one hand though, by ear. :lol:

Old is good ... you get senior coupon discounts, senior 10% discount days each week ... you get to distress your children with your "childish" antics and hear them wail about the hard time they're having raising you only to grin and say to them, "Turn around is fair play." What's not to like?

LOL! Yes! And I've got to drive my kids to the bus stop, rather than walking the mile+ i did as a kid! Well, my older daughter now drives, but still... I found this article in the news the other day, and have been wanting to use it... so here goes!

We, older people, like to say we would walk a mile to school, uphill both ways... Kids today get things taken for granted. But not these kids... They have to scale about a half-mile of sheer cliff to get to school, on a rope! And then climb down when they go home (or vice-versa)! Either way, that's serious shit! And even our grandpa's can't compare with that! So next time granmpa goes off on how many miles he had to walk to school in blizzards, show him this pic... :)

160527155003-cfp485055842-exlarge-169.jpg

Chinese kids descend terrifying cliff face to school - CNN.com

I always wanted to play the piano. Never did though. I can pink out a tune with one hand though, by ear. :lol:
Gracie, if you can do that, you can play! For the chords, just use your left hand and strike three keys at once, every other key, and make sure the note you're playing with your right hand is included in that chord. If it doesn't sound right adjust the chord up or down the keyboard. Does that make any sense at all? That's how you can get started adding chords in. I play by ear and that's how I started.

Gracie, if you can do that, you can play! For the chords, just use your left hand and strike three keys at once, every other key, and make sure the note you're playing with your right hand is included in that chord. If it doesn't sound right adjust the chord up or down the keyboard. Does that make any sense at all? That's how you can get started adding chords in. I play by ear and that's how I started.
KOOSH!!!! Where the hell you been, girl??? Dayum, I've missed you!

Very good. Here's an easy way to start getting fancy on a standard progression. On your left hand, start with the C on your pinky. E on your middle finger, G on your pointer, and then B on your thumb.That's a C9. So C E G B on your left hand. Press them altogether, or strum them one at a time, however you like. Then move two white keys down on your left hand, with the same finger configuration, and press them all down. Then move another 2 white keys down, with the same finger configuration, and press down. Then move up one white key, same finger configuration, and press down. Then move back up to the C and repeat ad-nauseum! :)

So starting from the C, move down 2 white keys, then move down 2 more white keys, and then up 1 white key. And then back to the C. Your left pinky finger is the starting point, and as you move down, it will be: C A F G, with the rest of your fingers in the same original configuration.

You just did a standard rock/blues/jazz progression. Using 9th's and 7th's and minors to make it sound fancy. Get the left hand down first til it's finger-memorized, and get it to the beat you like, and then add anything on the right hand and it will sound awesome!

You'll be playing like a pro in no time!

When I was a kid, I watched Dick Clark's American Bandstand, and my mom watched Lawrence Welk. Now that I am older, I recognize that both of them were crap, but Welk was MUCH worse......

Last edited:
I recommend two of each chord before moving down to the next one. So it will be C, C, A, A, F, F, G, G. And then back to C. Play it slowly.

And then once you've got that down without messing up, let your right hand go free and do anything it wants to do. Including lots of black keys. Note, on your left hand, you'll never be hitting a black key if you keep your original finger configuration the same way. But your right hand has free will do do almost anything. So don't peck, go crazy!

It'll actually be C9, C9, Am7, Am7, F9, F9, G7, G7. But don't worry about that. Just keep the original finger configuration on your left hand, and move down and then up. The notes the pinky finger will hit will be C, C, A, A, F, F, G, G.

Get that down, where you don't mess up. And know how to recover if you do. Then go wild on the right hand, and you'll be playing piano bars in no time! :)

Last edited:
"Go buy a few Andy Williams albums on vinyl and get your groove on."

....Gag me with a spoon.......

Oh my God!! Valspeak!! There's a memory! My youngest daughter was so into that - there for while I couldn't understand a damn thing she said. Then the movie "Valley Girls" came out and nothing would do but I had to take her and one of her friends to see it. So I did. When I went back to the theater to pick them up they both came flying out of the theater and dove head first into the floorboard of the back seat and were screaming for me to go, go, go and don't let anybody see them. That's all it took to bring all her Valspeak to an abrupt end.

Have you reached the point that when you see or hear a list of today's celebrity birthdays on a good day you recognize 1 out of 6 or 7?

Lawrence Welk? I was always more a Sing Along With Mitch guy.

Last edited:
I don't know half the people walking the red carpet or winning oscars and shit. All strangers to me.

Well, you need to get "cool" names. You just can't go by your regular name nowadays...

You need numbers and letters that create different things, and make the younger generation think about how clever they are.

Names like "The Beatles"....... that's not gonna work nowadays!

If "The Beatles" came on the scene today, they would have to be renamed to be popular! Even though they were among the first to use a parody in their name.

Something like... "4Beat" or "Beat4U"

Got it! They pick a snappy attention getting name, slap on a little Kardash-ass, "star" in some B grade movie that never sees the inside of any theater (but CAN be seen on Xfinity on Demand) and they become newsworthy celebrities. Nice.

So I'm watching a wildlife documentary on PBS (sign #1), and it was REALLY interesting, about how wolves and coyotes can't mate, but there's this other canine that can breed with both. And therefore transfer genes from wolves to coyotes, and vice-versa... but anyway!

It ended.

Lawrence Welk came on.

And I didn't immediately shut it off.........

I actually sang along with 3 songs before I shut it off!!!

Should I just veer into oncoming traffic, or just take it as a sign I'm getting old, and get over it?!?
You aren't too old if you keep it on Lawrence Welk until the lovely Anacani comes on.

Forum List

Back