I don't think Obama has the knowledge or the judgement?

No, not idiots with middle school education...they are privileged and greedy. And for the record, research shows that people with more education are more likely to be liberal. The factor that changes that is incredible wealth.

Privileged and greedy? Sorry, but most millionaries work 60-80 hour work weeks and spend vast amounts of time away from their families. A good majority are self-made, and most of them give more to charity than either of these candidates.

Why do you hate rich people? They work just as hard for their money as you do, probably harder.

research shows that people with more education are more likely to be liberal

Show me the research. Polls are not a viable source, as any poll today is skewed by the current election and the dissatisfaction with the current President. Historically, liberalism and conservatism are a pendulum, people swing back and forth from one to the other.

Bush being elected twice, only speaks to the state of the Americans in terms of their intelligence and judgement, and nothing of the credentials of George Bush. Never before have I been so disgusted by Americans, than when I watch them try to justify their support of Bush and McCain (the most sickening is Hannity). There is something missing in their support of these people: oh yeah... intelligence. It's just pure feeling, some distant patriotic notion that somehow fills a gap in their life, which they cling to, lest they be opened to some personal void which they need to feel with the easiest available ideology, one that requires no real thought, or learning: the politics that these republicans are selling them. They're sheep.

Why do you hate rich people? They work just as hard for their money as you do, probably harder.
No, no no no. No. Wow. People who love capitalism epically fail at seeing its downfalls.

Have you ever been poor? Have you ever lived in the ghetto?

It's not even worth arguing with you. You're just wrong on this point. Most people with money don't work as hard as you think, and most people with lots of money aren't very good people. I.E., oil tycoons? The idiots destroying the economy?

You don't have to be actually intelligent to get money or power. If you think you do, then you aren't actually intelligent.

Bush being elected twice, only speaks to the state of the Americans in terms of their intelligence and judgement, and nothing of the credentials of George Bush. Never before have I been so disgusted by Americans, than when I watch them try to justify their support of Bush and McCain (the most sickening is Hannity). There is something missing in their support of these people: oh yeah... intelligence. It's just pure feeling, some distant patriotic notion that somehow fills a gap in their life, which they cling to, lest they be opened to some personal void which they need to feel with the easiest available ideology, one that requires no real thought, or learning: the politics that these republicans are selling them. They're sheep.

Sorry, just because you don't agree with Republican ideals doesn't mean you're smarter than those that do.

Privileged and greedy? Sorry, but most millionaries work 60-80 hour work weeks and spend vast amounts of time away from their families. A good majority are self-made, and most of them give more to charity than either of these candidates.

Show me the research. Polls are not a viable source, as any poll today is skewed by the current election and the dissatisfaction with the current President. Historically, liberalism and conservatism are a pendulum, people swing back and forth from one to the other.

Being privileged has very little to do with how much work to do and more to do with your access to the education, jobs and contacts. That is the definition of privilege. And while you are requesting hard data, show me your back up for the claim that "A Good Majority of them are self-made, and most of them give more to charity than either of these candidates." I've heard this before but where does this info come from?

I can show you research on the correlation between education and political affiliation. Let me do a quick lit search and I will get back to you. I don't read polls, by the way. This is actual empirical evidence from peer reviewed literature. Be right back.

If I were poor I would hate the rich simply because I am not rich.

If I became rich...I would not hate the rich anymore.

Go see that movie with Dan Akroyd (sp) and Eddie Murphy

No, no no no. No. Wow. People who love capitalism epically fail at seeing its downfalls.

Have you ever been poor? Have you ever lived in the ghetto?

It's not even worth arguing with you. You're just wrong on this point. Most people with money don't work as hard as you think, and most people with lots of money aren't very good people. I.E., oil tycoons? The idiots destroying the economy?

You don't have to be actually intelligent to get money or power. If you think you do, then you aren't actually intelligent.

I was raised in one of the most economically depressed areas in the country. Bill Clinton visited my hometown to talk about the poverty there. My mom worked three jobs just to pay the bills. I lived off second-hand clothing and used toys.

I believe it was Mike Huckabee (whom I can't stand) who so eloquently said, "I'm not Republican because I was born rich. I'm Republican because I didn't want to stay poor waiting on the government to save me." I'm not a Republican, but I think that's a pretty good line.

access to the education, jobs and contacts

While, yes, wealthy people have better networking, again, it's because they earned it, or their parents earned it, or their grandparents. Regardless, someone made that money, and if you want to fault them for that, it's your prerogative. I simply can't fault someone for being the heir to a fortune, and I certainly won't hate someone simply because they make more money than I do...that's a lot of hate to go around.

I love how everyone swears poor people wouldn't be exactly like rich people if they were rich..

somewhere down the line someone had to say.."Well I hated being poor and now I want to keep the money I earned"

Sorry, just because you don't agree with Republican ideals doesn't mean you're smarter than those that do.

True, perhaps some of what I said was wrong to say. I apologize, but I am making the point that much of our country is uneducated, and simply buy into a more emotionally appealing stance: Patriotism. I am being sincere, and am not judging them. We should be patriotic. There are of course very smart conservatives, and I think each side of the aisle has its pros and cons, and don't think that either side is necessarily right or wrong, only in the context in which it is set. I don't blame people for buying the conservatives selling points, but it doesn't make it right. Simply because people follow the current conservative ideology, does NOT make it at ALL correct, or worth any more indulgence. It needs to end.

While, yes, wealthy people have better networking, again, it's because they earned it, or their parents earned it, or their grandparents. Regardless, someone made that money, and if you want to fault them for that, it's your prerogative. I simply can't fault someone for being the heir to a fortune, and I certainly won't hate someone simply because they make more money than I do...that's a lot of hate to go around.

I never said I hated rich people. I was speaking specifically about those wealthy people who are so concerned with keeping their wealth that they choose to elect people who will only protect their interests while the rest of the country gets poorer and poorer. I am not someone who is struggling financially, but I do recognize that the country will fail if the top 1 percent holds all the wealth and the rest are struggling to survive.

And your story seems to have changed a bit. Just a short while ago, the majority of wealthy people were self-made and now you've decided to include parents, grandparent, heir to a fortune... That's not the same story you were selling 10 min ago.

I never said I hated rich people. I was speaking specifically about those wealthy people who are so concerned with keeping their wealth that they choose to elect people who will only protect their interests while the rest of the country gets poorer and poorer. I am not someone who is struggling financially, but I do recognize that the country will fail if the top 1 percent holds all the wealth and the rest are struggling to survive.

And your story seems to have changed a bit. Just a short while ago, the majority of wealthy people were self-made and now you've decided to include parents, grandparent, heir to a fortune... That's not the same story you were selling 10 min ago.

There's this thing called charity.

Rich people pay into it.

There's this thing called charity.

Rich people pay into it.

Are you suggesting that the rich get richer and everyone else survive on charity?

People do not NEED $7.5 million signing bonuses or $11 million severance packages (WAMU CEO) while the people who have shitty loans that the giant company they work for gave them struggle, lose their homes and deal with personal financial ruin.

But then again, what's wrong with that? That CEO probably gave some money to charity. All is well.

The kind of money you are talking about changes people. Kind of like how dictators who were once revolutionaries become the dictators they came to replace.

I do recognize that the country will fail if the top 1 percent holds all the wealth and the rest are struggling to survive.

And your solution is? Tax the top 1% out the ass and then put that money into programs that hand-feed the deadbeats who don't even bother looking for jobs and expect the government to take care of them the rest of their lives?

Au contraire, my story didn't change. I said the majority of wealthy people are self-made, then I talked about the privileged people who get access to education, networking, etc. based on wealth. The two aren't related.

And your solution is? Tax the top 1% out the ass and then put that money into programs that hand-feed the deadbeats who don't even bother looking for jobs and expect the government to take care of them the rest of their lives?

Au contraire, my story didn't change. I said the majority of wealthy people are self-made, then I talked about the privileged people who get access to education, networking, etc. based on wealth. The two aren't related.

No no, your story did, in fact change. Let me highlight my point for you. Below are your two posts that I am referring to. Note the bolded points.

Originally Posted by jsanders

Originally Posted by jsanders

Which is it? Are they self made or heirs?

No one said anything about deadbeats. You don't believe for a second that all poor people who need assistance are deadbeats do you? If so, you may want to pull your head out of you know where and pay attention.

You're fun to laugh at. Apparently there's only ONE kind of wealthy person, either self-made or inherited. Clearly, there can't be a mixture, right?

No one said anything about deadbeats. You don't believe for a second that all poor people who need assistance are deadbeats do you? If so, you may want to pull your head out of you know where and pay attention.

I believe in Darwinism. Sorry. If I can overcome the odds, anyone can.

I believe in Darwinism. Sorry. If I can overcome the odds, anyone can.

Yeah, but it's not really a "free-market," in using an analogy to iillustrate the fact that certain groups of people are restricted by societal biases and prejudices. It is not created equal for everyone in this country.

Forum List

Back