I do not blame Wilson. Worst play call in the history OF SPORTS.

I couldn't believe it. You need 3 feet, you have 3 downs to get it, and you have the perfect player to use to get it, and instead of going with him you throw a risky pass in the heart of the defense.
Couldn't have been stupider.

Darrell Bevell should be looking for a new team by the end of the day. Maybe some Pop Warner team will pick him up.
Only 26 seconds and each play takes 13 - 15 seconds.

Sorry, I pass it first to set up the run. The D was ready for a run. The pass would have worked if it was to the back of the endzone. It's either a TD or an incompletion. That pass was nothing but bad news. It shrunk the field so even if they were set up for the run they can cover it.

If it had worked, it would have been a good play. :D
Exactly. But it didn't. I wouldn't have thrown it over the middle. It's harder to cover somebody that's running full bore to the flat, but this guy just did a crossing pattern over the middle that should have worked but somebody missed their assignment and the safety was free, anticipated the play, and got to the ball first. Too much congestion in the middle. They were hoping that the height of the WR would make it easy for him to catch it.

If the o-line was mauling the Patriot's line I would have just run it, but they weren't. The Patriots probably would have stuffed him. My first choice would have been a rollout option pass to the back. Wilson could have run it in easy if nobody was open. The guys on the field would have known what would work. Wilson is really good at improvising. Seattle didn't have much time, but they were moving the ball and had the momentum. They had to do something unpredictable. So I'd fake a run to the FB playaction pass and toss it to a TE or a back or a WR but I think Wilson wasn't sure he could make the throw. Brady could make the throw, or Manning, or Luck, but Wilson is a bit limited. His biggest threat is running. It helps on the goaline if you're 6'5" and can see everything. Those guys are big and tall. It's like throwing over a wall sometimes. So sideline pass is the way to go.

But I'm not a coach.

of couse you wouldn't have thrown it over the middle.an idiot like Brian Shittenheimer of the shittnheimer family would but carrol is not an idiot.He purposely through the game.fuck the NFL.Im done with superbowls.

Another thing to consider is that
Seahawks’ Marshawn Lynch isn’t a sure thing from the 1-yard line
Over his career, Lynch has had 36 carries from the opponent’s 1-yard line. More often than not, he didn’t reach the end zone. He scored on 15 of those carries, or 41.7 percent of the time. On 12 of those carries, he did not gain a yard. On nine of them, he lost yardage.
So maybe the play call was not as bad as the actual pass attempt.

Seahawks 8217 Marshawn Lynch isn 8217 t exactly money from the 1-yard line - The Washington Post
with the PATS defensive line he WAS a sure thing.they were atrocious at stopping the run during the season and especially at the goal line.they were ranked towards the bottom.Lynch was running all over them.carrol was so obviously paid off to throw the game.

Another thing to consider is that
Seahawks’ Marshawn Lynch isn’t a sure thing from the 1-yard line
Over his career, Lynch has had 36 carries from the opponent’s 1-yard line. More often than not, he didn’t reach the end zone. He scored on 15 of those carries, or 41.7 percent of the time. On 12 of those carries, he did not gain a yard. On nine of them, he lost yardage.
So maybe the play call was not as bad as the actual pass attempt.

Seahawks 8217 Marshawn Lynch isn 8217 t exactly money from the 1-yard line - The Washington Post

That is very interesting. So it wasn't a guaranteed touchdown if he ran the ball after all.

It is not that they passed, although I would have certainly ran Lynch. It is the pass play that was called with a short QB.

If they are going to pass, I personally think a play action to Lynch and bootleg would be the call. Takes advantage of a few things. One, the entire Pats defense was anticipating Lynch. They were gassed at that time of the game. I do not think they would have been able to touch Wilson and IF he gets around the end, it is a TD. Whether by pass or by run.

I am thinking that from 1 yard you have to consider the Pats were ranked either 31st or 32nd in the NFL against short yardage and you have beast.

Throwing a slant in the middle with a short QB lends itself to too many bad possibilities. I do not think it was a horrible throw. Sometimes interceptions are actually about the DB making a great play. Butler, made a great play. Have to give it to him. He jumped it, and it was not a situation where Wilson has to read him. It is a bang bang play. There is no "read."

I have heard Cris Carter say Wilson needed to throw the ball low. Well, look at the play. If he throws the ball low, it goes into the back of the guard or the tackle. Consider the height of Wilson.

It was an asinine call, cause it put too much risk. Unnecessary risk.
an asinine call that someone like brian shittenhiemer would make but not carrol.He is far too experienced a coach to make a mistake like that.

like you said,they were ranked near dead last in short yardage,you got the beast,you use him,that is unless you are going to throw the game like carrol purporsely did.fuck the NFL.they have played me for a sucker long enough.no more.unless its my chargers in the superbowl,then for now on from here on out,fuck the superbowl.

Forum List

Back