“I Did Not Die. I Did Not Go to Heaven.”

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Very interesting article..way to long to quote here...but a great view of some of the chicanery in the Christian publishing community:

“I Did Not Die. I Did Not Go to Heaven.” - Slate - Pocket

The cover of The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven calls the book “a true story.” But the boy himself now says it was not true at all. Four years ago, Alex sent a letter to a conservative Christian blog dramatically renouncing the book. “I did not die. I did not go to Heaven,” he wrote. “I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention. … People have profited from lies, and continue to.” Alex’s retraction also became a sensation, with reporters unable to resist the sudden, hilarious perfection of his last name: Malarkey.

Very interesting article..way to long to quote here...but a great view of some of the chicanery in the Christian publishing community:

The cover of The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven calls the book “a true story.” But the boy himself now says it was not true at all. Four years ago, Alex sent a letter to a conservative Christian blog dramatically renouncing the book. “I did not die. I did not go to Heaven,” he wrote. “I said I went to heaven because I thought it would get me attention. … People have profited from lies, and continue to.” Alex’s retraction also became a sensation, with reporters unable to resist the sudden, hilarious perfection of his last name: Malarkey.
This was a different one from the original. It was a copycat.
The original was Heaven is for Real.
These one you are talking about, the father was trying to profit off a similar story line. Really sad.
The original even had a movie made of it.

I never bought into that because the story contradicts the Bible. Aside from Jesus Himself and those he raised from the dead, nobody's ever come back from being totally dead. It's written in Hebrews 9:27 that "it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgement."

His last name, Malarkey - PRICELESS!

upload_2020-1-6_20-40-37.png

View attachment 298783

Sweet!

These one you are talking about, the father was trying to profit off a similar story line. Really sad.
From the article: according to this...The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven--was the original...2004----Heaven is for Real...2010...

The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven sold more than 1 million copies and spent months on the New York Times’ bestseller list. It was also on the leading edge of a boomlet of “heaven tourism” stories in Christian publishing, including Heaven Is for Real, a memoir about 4-year-old Colton Burpo’s experience that came out later in 2010 and was eventually adapted into a movie starring Greg Kinnear. Time magazine published a cover story in 2012 titled “Rethinking Heaven,” opening with Burpo’s story—even more detailed than Alex’s—about seeing a rainbow horse and meeting the Virgin Mary. Other such books included 90 Minutes in Heaven (2004, car accident), Flight to Heaven (2010, plane crash), To Heaven and Back (2012, kayaking accident), and Miracles From Heaven (2015, fall into a hollow tree, made into a Jennifer Garner movie). After the Malarkeys’ success, “all Christian publishers were looking for the next heaven book,” said Sandy Vander Zicht, a former editor at Zondervan, a large evangelical publisher based in Michigan.

I never bought into that because the story contradicts the Bible. Aside from Jesus Himself and those he raised from the dead, nobody's ever come back from being totally dead. It's written in Hebrews 9:27 that "it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgement."
That is misconstrued to believe it is talking about mere flesh. I know many may not like that but that is the way it is. Jesus told them when they asked what will we be that they would be like the angels. Angels come and go. I tried to explain this before but people do not desire to hear it. Adam is you and every human. How does Adam/human live for 800+ years? The human gets a new wineskin, a new container. Jesus also told them, 'there are those of you standing here today that will not taste of death until I come again'.

From the article: according to this...The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven--was the original...2004----Heaven is for Real...2010...

The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven sold more than 1 million copies and spent months on the New York Times’ bestseller list. It was also on the leading edge of a boomlet of “heaven tourism” stories in Christian publishing, including Heaven Is for Real, a memoir about 4-year-old Colton Burpo’s experience that came out later in 2010 and was eventually adapted into a movie starring Greg Kinnear. Time magazine published a cover story in 2012 titled “Rethinking Heaven,” opening with Burpo’s story—even more detailed than Alex’s—about seeing a rainbow horse and meeting the Virgin Mary. Other such books included 90 Minutes in Heaven (2004, car accident), Flight to Heaven (2010, plane crash), To Heaven and Back (2012, kayaking accident), and Miracles From Heaven (2015, fall into a hollow tree, made into a Jennifer Garner movie). After the Malarkeys’ success, “all Christian publishers were looking for the next heaven book,” said Sandy Vander Zicht, a former editor at Zondervan, a large evangelical publisher based in Michigan.
No, your article is trying wrap that one into this. I wonder why...
This guy is named Malarkey, not Coltin Burpo from the hook Heaven is for Real.
Malarkey’s book was The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven. That is who says he didn’t.

Malarkey’s book was The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven. That is who says he didn’t.
Indeed.....however..your book is cited because it came after..and was part of a trend in Christian publishing..the 'heaven tourism' trend.

the subtext of the article..and I don't blame you for not reading it..it is long----is that all the Heaven visiting is BS...driven by the profits.

Rainbow horses and angels..forsooth!

Indeed.....however..your book is cited because it came after..and was part of a trend in Christian publishing..the 'heaven tourism' trend.

the subtext of the article..and I don't blame you for not reading it..it is long----is that all the Heaven visiting is BS...driven by the profits.

Rainbow horses and angels..forsooth!
I apologize. You are right on the date. I never heard of the first one until years later. May be a reason for that...

Forum List

Back