I agree with Joe Scarborough

Asking for a special exemption from a certain part of a law that will be your special privilege based on your special status

is by definition a 'special favor'.

The church is not asking for a special exception to a law, they are telling the US government that they will not obey a regulation that interferes with their right to exercise their religion.

See the difference?

Of course you don't.

There is no right to break the law in any religious freedom protected in the Constitution.

If that were the case, Warren Jeffs would probably be free.

Never said there was. I did, however, point out that the Supreme Court has said that not all laws apply to religious institutions, even if they are schools. I even provided a link, which you did not read because you assumed that the title proved I was actually talking about a church.

The church is not asking for a special exception to a law, they are telling the US government that they will not obey a regulation that interferes with their right to exercise their religion.

See the difference?

Of course you don't.

That doesn't hold up. You realize all the counter arguments that leads you into, right? For example, if a religion claims, as a doctrine of faith, their right kill their wayward children - would it be a violation of their religious freedom to hold them to their state's murder laws?

You seem to think that because the government has a duty to protect lives even against religions that believe in human sacrifice that it means the government can make up any w=law it wants and dictate to religion about what it can, and cannot, do. Tain't anywhere near that simple.

No, I don't think that at all. I don't think the government has a right to dictate this kind of shit to any of us - religious or not.

There's no reason religions should get a pass from these intrusive laws. Freedom of religion isn't about religions getting special treatment - it's about keeping government out of the business of endorsing, or condemning, any particular religions. It doesn't mean churches don't have to follow the law.

A very good hospital here is St Marys... top rate catholic hospital. I dont go there becasue i dont want priests or nuns coming and condoling with me. Granted they are doing a nice thing... but i dont want it. I go somewhere else and check dont send anyone on "religion." My choice of where i want to go.

Seaton is another catholic hospital here.... again top rate. They refused to do a sex change surgery. Why would you demand a hospital that does not agree with sex change do one?

Its about choice. You know what you are walking into when you go in.... a religious institution.

Invoking 'choice' in defense of the Catholic Church? You win ironic comment of the month.

ya think?

If you don't want a dose of religion with your medical treatments.... dont use a catholic hospital.

I think if a person believes abortion is okay, they should not work for a Catholic hospital. If they want insurance which covers abortion, they should go to work somewhere else. I do not believe the government should force their employer to pay for their abortion. If that person goes to work for a Catholic employer anyway and then gets an abortion, their employer should have the right to fire them.

I think if a person believes the "morning after pill" is immoral, they should not work for a pharmacy that dispenses such a pill. I do not believe the government should force the pharmacy to hire such a person. If that person decides to work at such a pharmacy, they should dispense the morning after pill to any eligible customer or be fired for refusing.

I think if a person believes alcohol is offensive to Allah, they should not work for a taxi company which provides transportation to bars. I do not believe the government should force the taxi company to hire such a person. If that person decides to work for a taxi company and refuses to drive someone to a bar, they should be fired for refusing.

That is separation of church and state, and it cuts both ways.

If they spent their paycheck on an abortion, then their employer DID pay for it. How do you propose to prevent that?

Fail. The Employer paid for Labor. The Employer has no say or responsibility over how you spend your income. Why would you think that?

The point is, I don't care about supporters of a organization that gives aid and comfort to child molesters ie the catholic church.

I don't really care about them as an organization either. I happen to be intelligent enough to understand that any interference with rights is an infringement on my rights, which is why I support the ACLU and the NAACP when they fight for rights of the idiots like you who I would prefer to see locked in a cell at the bottom of the ocean.

Yet here I sit, typing away.

Like I said, I support the rights of idiots.

A very good hospital here is St Marys... top rate catholic hospital. I dont go there becasue i dont want priests or nuns coming and condoling with me. Granted they are doing a nice thing... but i dont want it. I go somewhere else and check dont send anyone on "religion." My choice of where i want to go.

Seaton is another catholic hospital here.... again top rate. They refused to do a sex change surgery. Why would you demand a hospital that does not agree with sex change do one?

Its about choice. You know what you are walking into when you go in.... a religious institution.

Invoking 'choice' in defense of the Catholic Church? You win ironic comment of the month.

ya think?

If you don't want a dose of religion with your medical treatments.... dont use a catholic hospital.

:eusa_shhh: I pay the priests to follow you. :lol:

I think if a person believes abortion is okay, they should not work for a Catholic hospital. If they want insurance which covers abortion, they should go to work somewhere else. I do not believe the government should force their employer to pay for their abortion. If that person goes to work for a Catholic employer anyway and then gets an abortion, their employer should have the right to fire them.

I think if a person believes the "morning after pill" is immoral, they should not work for a pharmacy that dispenses such a pill. I do not believe the government should force the pharmacy to hire such a person. If that person decides to work at such a pharmacy, they should dispense the morning after pill to any eligible customer or be fired for refusing.

I think if a person believes alcohol is offensive to Allah, they should not work for a taxi company which provides transportation to bars. I do not believe the government should force the taxi company to hire such a person. If that person decides to work for a taxi company and refuses to drive someone to a bar, they should be fired for refusing.

If they spent their paycheck on an abortion, then their employer DID pay for it. How do you propose to prevent that?

Fail. The Employer paid for Labor. The Employer has no say or responsibility over how you spend your income. Why would you think that?

Cuz he's grasping at any straw in the forlorn hope that one will make sense.

That doesn't hold up. You realize all the counter arguments that leads you into, right? For example, if a religion claims, as a doctrine of faith, their right kill their wayward children - would it be a violation of their religious freedom to hold them to their state's murder laws?

You seem to think that because the government has a duty to protect lives even against religions that believe in human sacrifice that it means the government can make up any w=law it wants and dictate to religion about what it can, and cannot, do. Tain't anywhere near that simple.

No, I don't think that at all. I don't think the government has a right to dictate this kind of shit to any of us - religious or not.

Then don't take the government's money. If welfare recipients have to follow the rules of drug testing to collect their government cash, so do catholic hospitals.

Then don't take the government's money. If welfare recipients have to follow the rules of drug testing to collect their government cash, so do catholic hospitals.

Yup. That's why our leaders want us all on the dole in the first place. It's all about control.

Nice that you care so much about the poverty stricken African American communities. We're the one's helping them, not you. You will not pay the price if we shut our social programs, our hospitals, our schools, in those areas. They will pay.

Selfish bastard.

I don't really care about them as an organization either. I happen to be intelligent enough to understand that any interference with rights is an infringement on my rights, which is why I support the ACLU and the NAACP when they fight for rights of the idiots like you who I would prefer to see locked in a cell at the bottom of the ocean.

Yet here I sit, typing away.

Like I said, I support the rights of idiots.

And so do I, that's why I comment on your posts.

Are you STILL doing that?

Let's try this again.

If I pay you to murder someone, is that the same thing as paying you to roof my house and then you use that money to buy a gun to kill someone? Am I complicit to murder in the second case?

Is the stupidity of your argument sinking in yet?

ya think?

Forcing Matters of Conscience, Ideology on Anyone is a waste of time and an offense. It is for Each of us to decide for ourselves. State your case, make your best argument. That is where influence should end. Thinking that you can mandate your view on others and not have it done to you in return is absurd. You cannot advocate Individual Liberty in Truth and Force Conformity to your Version at the same time. It is Hypocrisy.

Nice that you care so much about the poverty stricken African American communities. We're the one's helping them, not you. You will not pay the price if we shut our social programs, our hospitals, our schools, in those areas. They will pay.

Selfish bastard.

Yes. Because we blacks don't help our own communities. Thanks whities, thanks. Hahaha.

Where? How?

I don't buy it. It's a gross mis-interpretation of freedom of religion to assert that religions don't have to follow laws they don't believe in.

Hosanna-Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church and School v. EEOC : SCOTUSblog

There are all kinds of court decisions I don't agree with. I don't really have time to examine that one in detail, but if follows the same general principles as this case, I'd probably disagree with it as well.

To be clear, I think you know how vehemently opposed to this requirement I am, but I think it's patently unfair that some people should get a pass on it just because they follow a certain religion. In principle, why can't I start my own religion that believes insurance is the work of the devil, and get out of these mandates altogether?

The Constitution is pretty clear that Congress cannot make laws that interfere with the free exercise of religion. Obama tried to argue that this does not actually mean churches don't have to follow whatever rules he thinks are appropriate, and that the government could tell churches which of their employees are ministers by insisting that ministers have to devote 100% of their time to ministerial duties. I don't know if you know anything about ministers, but I have never met anyone that devotes 100% of their time to their job. Just because a church runs a school, or a hospital, does not mean the government gets to interfere with their doctrine.

Are you STILL doing that?

Let's try this again.

If I pay you to murder someone, is that the same thing as paying you to roof my house and then you use that money to buy a gun to kill someone? Am I complicit to murder in the second case?

Is the stupidity of your argument sinking in yet?

Nooo, I think you're gonna have to use words of one syllable only. Words like 'complicit' is waaaaay over his intellectual pay grade.

Forum List

Back