Hundreds of Iraqis Take to Street to Protest Government

LOL! Why all this sudden concern for Women's Rights in the Muslim World by Liberals? This is a new one on me. Liberal Women in this country have been consistently shamefully silent on this issue in the past. So why all the sudden outrage over this one? Seems to be a bit disingenuous & hypocritical to me. The only thing i see American Liberal Women out there screeching about these days is about how wonderful it is having the freedom to kill their babies. I hardly ever see them standing up for anything else these days. These days it's all about killing those damn babies for them. American Liberal Women should actually be ashamed of themselves for how they have ignored the plight of Women in the Muslim World. So i'm just not buying their sudden feigned outrage over this stuff. Just looks like politics as usual to me. Today's American Liberal Women are simply a One Trick Pony at this point. It's all about that "We have to kill those damn babies!!" for them. Pretty sad stuff.

4,000 women run for office in Iraq - CNN.com

4,000 women run for office in Iraq

Story Highlights
Female candidates seek to change women's status in Iraqi society
Many will be guaranteed seats under electoral quota system
Candidate says she's running to challenge fundamentalist beliefs about women
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Four thousand women are running for office in Iraq's provincial elections Saturday, and many of them will be guaranteed seats under an electoral quota system.

Regardless of the votes their candidates receive, parties are required to give every third seat to a woman, according to a report this week from the International Crisis Group.

The ultimate share of seats held by women will depend on the distribution of votes among parties, the report said.

Some women candidates say these elections -- only the second provincial elections since the fall of Saddam Hussein -- are a chance to improve their standing in Iraqi society.

Nibras al-Mamuri is a secular female candidate who argues that fundamentalists have taken over the country. She says it was the 2005 elections that brought them into power and tarnished Islam's image in Iraq.

Al-Mamuri, who is running for the Baghdad provincial council, says it's time for a change. Watch how women are trying to bring change to Iraq »

"Although a woman's role in the Arab world is mainly that of a mother and child bearer," she said, "I want to prove that women are just as capable as men when it comes to challenging arenas."

At first, al-Mamuri said, she thought just participating in the elections as a woman was enough. But now, she says she is running to win in order to defy men who believe a woman's place is in the home.

"I've entered a battlefield where women have to prove they are competent," she said. "I have to forget about fear."

In recent years, Iraqi women have been targeted by extremists for a variety of reasons -- from not covering their hair to entering the political arena.

Under Hussein, Iraq was one of the more secular Arab countries, but the 2003 U.S. invasion unleashed extremist militias. Now, many activists say women have been forced back to the Dark Ages, forced to be submissive, anonymous and fully veiled.

Al-Mamuri said she believes Saturday's vote can help women improve their position in society.

"An Iraqi woman can be an equal. She can participate in change," she told CNN.

The image of a woman posing a public and direct challenge to fundamentalists and their beliefs was not seen in the 2005 vote.

"Iraqi women form the core of society," said Rissala Khalid, another female candidate in Baghdad.

Passing out her campaign card, Khalid told young women that she will fight for their rights, and told young men that she will try to provide jobs for Iraq's largely unemployed youth.

In a man's world, is Iraqi politics ready to embrace women? | World news | The Guardian

Women fight for Iraqi votes but still lack power behind scenes
Election rules mean 30% of candidates are female - but many keep a low profile
Martin Chulov in Basra
The Guardian, Saturday 31 January 2009
larger | smaller
In the overwhelmingly male arena that is Iraqi politics, it was a striking sight. A local sports ground, an election rally and a candidate - a female candidate.

Zahra Hamza Ali is upbeat about her chances. In private interviews she speaks of speeding up dormant reconstruction projects in Basra province, of stability and security, but not to the exclusively male audience, who still insist that women in public life are seen and not heard.

The men, about 3,000 of them, rapturously waved vibrant Shia Islamic and political flags in the main Basra sports arena as they waited for the prime minister, Nouri al-Maliki, this week. Fathers wheeled in children maimed during years of war in the plaintive hope they would win an audience with the national leader during a rare visit to town. They left disappointed. But Hamza believes politics in Iraq is changing.

"We hope the political process leads to stability," she said. "Last year we started to feel safe in Basra and there is a better atmosphere here. We can even start to see some rebuilding."...

LOL! Why all this sudden concern for Women's Rights in the Muslim World by Liberals? This is a new one on me. Liberal Women in this country have been consistently shamefully silent on this issue in the past. So why all the sudden outrage over this one? Seems to be a bit disingenuous & hypocritical to me. The only thing i see American Liberal Women out there screeching about these days is about how wonderful it is having the freedom to kill their babies. I hardly ever see them standing up for anything else these days. These days it's all about killing those damn babies for them. American Liberal Women should actually be ashamed of themselves for how they have ignored the plight of Women in the Muslim World. So i'm just not buying their sudden feigned outrage over this stuff. Just looks like politics as usual to me. Today's American Liberal Women are simply a One Trick Pony at this point. It's all about that "We have to kill those damn babies!!" for them. Pretty sad stuff.

You see what's in the news. Do a little research and you will find that Women's groups have been hard at work in Iraq and Afghanistan for many years, not just the last 8 and not just in Iraq and Afghanistan.

It's conservatives who want to keep women down. No wonder those on the right in this country support the Iraqi Constitution. Laws based on "God's word", men in charge, women without rights. It's Republican heaven.

It's why 30 Republicans senators voted against rape being a crime. Do they see it as a "right"? Makes on wonder.

American Liberal Women are just soo disingenuous & hypocritical on that whole "Women's Rights in the Muslim World" thing. They have been nowhere to be found on this issue for many years now so i really do have to question their motives at this point. Just looks like more politics as usual to me. It's just like when they're completely silent when one of their fellow Liberal Democrat creeps sexually harasses women. You hardly hear a peep out of them when that happens. God forbid a Republican man should be caught being a womanizer though. My God,these same Liberal Women immediately freak out and start screeching about how "Evil" that man is. Feminism is simply dead in America. R.I.P.

Last edited:
4,000 women run for office in Iraq - CNN.com

4,000 women run for office in Iraq

Story Highlights
Female candidates seek to change women's status in Iraqi society
Many will be guaranteed seats under electoral quota system
Candidate says she's running to challenge fundamentalist beliefs about women
BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Four thousand women are running for office in Iraq's provincial elections Saturday, and many of them will be guaranteed seats under an electoral quota system.

Regardless of the votes their candidates receive, parties are required to give every third seat to a woman, according to a report this week from the International Crisis Group.

The ultimate share of seats held by women will depend on the distribution of votes among parties, the report said.

Some women candidates say these elections -- only the second provincial elections since the fall of Saddam Hussein -- are a chance to improve their standing in Iraqi society.

Nibras al-Mamuri is a secular female candidate who argues that fundamentalists have taken over the country. She says it was the 2005 elections that brought them into power and tarnished Islam's image in Iraq.

Al-Mamuri, who is running for the Baghdad provincial council, says it's time for a change. Watch how women are trying to bring change to Iraq »

"Although a woman's role in the Arab world is mainly that of a mother and child bearer," she said, "I want to prove that women are just as capable as men when it comes to challenging arenas."

At first, al-Mamuri said, she thought just participating in the elections as a woman was enough. But now, she says she is running to win in order to defy men who believe a woman's place is in the home.

"I've entered a battlefield where women have to prove they are competent," she said. "I have to forget about fear."

In recent years, Iraqi women have been targeted by extremists for a variety of reasons -- from not covering their hair to entering the political arena.

Under Hussein, Iraq was one of the more secular Arab countries, but the 2003 U.S. invasion unleashed extremist militias. Now, many activists say women have been forced back to the Dark Ages, forced to be submissive, anonymous and fully veiled.

Al-Mamuri said she believes Saturday's vote can help women improve their position in society.

"An Iraqi woman can be an equal. She can participate in change," she told CNN.

The image of a woman posing a public and direct challenge to fundamentalists and their beliefs was not seen in the 2005 vote.

"Iraqi women form the core of society," said Rissala Khalid, another female candidate in Baghdad.

Passing out her campaign card, Khalid told young women that she will fight for their rights, and told young men that she will try to provide jobs for Iraq's largely unemployed youth.

In a man's world, is Iraqi politics ready to embrace women? | World news | The Guardian

Women fight for Iraqi votes but still lack power behind scenes
Election rules mean 30% of candidates are female - but many keep a low profile
Martin Chulov in Basra
The Guardian, Saturday 31 January 2009
larger | smaller
In the overwhelmingly male arena that is Iraqi politics, it was a striking sight. A local sports ground, an election rally and a candidate - a female candidate.

Zahra Hamza Ali is upbeat about her chances. In private interviews she speaks of speeding up dormant reconstruction projects in Basra province, of stability and security, but not to the exclusively male audience, who still insist that women in public life are seen and not heard.

The men, about 3,000 of them, rapturously waved vibrant Shia Islamic and political flags in the main Basra sports arena as they waited for the prime minister, Nouri al-Maliki, this week. Fathers wheeled in children maimed during years of war in the plaintive hope they would win an audience with the national leader during a rare visit to town. They left disappointed. But Hamza believes politics in Iraq is changing.

"We hope the political process leads to stability," she said. "Last year we started to feel safe in Basra and there is a better atmosphere here. We can even start to see some rebuilding."...

A third are women? We saw how much Democrats were able to do with a third of the vote against Republicans. Two wars, ruined economy, troops with old and rusty equipment. Oh wait, those things happened because Democrats couldn't do anything.

The truth is Iraq is screwed. The women there are screwed. Article 2 and 3 of the constitution says it all:

Article 2:

First: Islam is the official religion of the State and it is a fundamental source of legislation:

A. No law that contradicts the established provisions of Islam may be established.

Article 3:

(Iraq is a country of many nationalities, religions and sects and is a founding and active member of the Arab League and is committed to its covenant. Iraq is a part of the Islamic world.)

Including women into the government came at the insistence of the US. Trying to put "lipstick on a pig".

American Liberal Women are just soo disingenuous & hypocritical on that whole "Women's Rights in the Muslim World" thing. They have been nowhere to be found on this issue for many years now so i really do have to question their motives at this point. Just looks like more politics as usual to me. It's just like when they're completely silent when one of their fellow Liberal Democrat creeps sexually harasses women. You hardly hear a peep out of them when that happens. God forbid a Republican man should be caught being a womanizer though. My God,these same Liberal Women immediately freak out and start screeching about how "Evil" that man is. Feminism is simply dead in America. R.I.P.

You are just making stuff up and talking nonsense. It's called a "rant".

When I was in the Boy Scouts, many years ago, the Scoutmaster's son came along on a 9 day camp out. One morning he sat in the middle of the camp beating a tin pan because no one would pay attention to him. He just made noise to get some attention. Good luck on that.

Looks like the Iraqis are actually making a real effort to include Women in their Government. Can you honestly say the same thing about the rest of the Muslim World at this point? They are making an effort and that much is clear if you stop playing partisan politics with this issue. The Iraqis look to be at least trying to include Women in their Government and that's much more than i can say for the rest of the Muslim World. Hey just my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
Looks like the Iraqis are actually making a real effort to include Women in their Government. Can you honestly say the same thing about the rest of the Muslim World at this point? They are making an effort and that much is clear if you stop playing partisan politics with this issue. The Iraqis look to be at least trying to include Women in their Government and that's much more than i can say for the rest of the Muslim World. Hey just my opinion anyway.

Kuwaiti MP seeks to scrap Sharia controls in election law

Looks to be a back and forth issue:

Kuwaiti MP seeks to scrap Sharia controls in election law (AFP)

11 October 2009, KUWAIT CITY - Kuwaiti female lawmaker Rula Dashti on Sunday submitted an amendment to the Gulf state electoral law that aims to scrap a requirement that women must comply with Islamic Sharia law guidelines.
The guidelines were introduced four years ago when parliament voted to grant women full political rights but added a precondition that both women voters and candidates must comply with regulations dictated by Sharia law.

The law does not explain the nature of the regulations, but last week the emirate’s Fatwa Department ruled that under Islamic law, it is an obligation for Muslim women to wear the hijab head cover.

Although the fatwa, or religious edict, was general in nature and did not specifically refer to Kuwait’s election law, it triggered conflicting reactions from Islamist and liberal lawmakers and activists.

Islamist lawmakers called on female MPs and a minister to comply with the ruling while liberal and female legislators stressed the fatwa is not binding since it did not come from the constitutional court.

“The fatwa is not binding to the Kuwaiti society. The only reference for us is the constitution,” issued in 1962, she told AFP.

Dashti said that including Sharia regulations in the electoral law is a breach of the constitution.

“The regulations clearly violate articles in the constitution which call for gendre equality and make no refernce to Sharia regulations,” she said.

Four Kuwaiti women made history in May when they won seats in parliament for the first time.

Two of the women MPs wear the hijab while Dashti and Aseel Al-Awadhi do not. Education Minister Mudhi al-Hmoud also does not wear the hijab.

Fatwa stirs heated debate over face-veiling in Kuwait » Kuwait Times Website

Fatwa stirs heated debate over face-veiling in Kuwait
Published Date: October 09, 2009

KUWAIT: The controversy over a ban of fully-veiled women in Egypt is sweeping the Middle East region, including Kuwait, with some voices against the full veil, niqab, and some others in favor. Egypt's leading cleric, Mohammad Tantawi, has issued a fatwa (religious edict) saying that wearing a face veil was not an obligation for women under Islam. Salafist Kuwaiti lawmaker Mohammed Hayef Al-Mutairi on Wednesday lambasted the senior Egyptian cleric by branding Tantawi's statement as shameless.

The clergyman's edict triggered an edict by Kuwait's fatwa authority at the Ministry of Awqaf and Islamic Affairs. The Kuwaiti edict rules that wearing hijab is mandatory for Muslim women. "The Elections Law allows women to vote and run for an office provided they comply with Islamic Sharia," said conservative MP Waleed Al-Tabtabaie, who spearheaded the campaign with Islamist MP Hayef. He added that the Fatwa issued on Wednesday by the Awqaf Ministry confirms that women's hijabs is an obligation for Muslim
women.

Respectively, the non-compliance of a female MP or a voter with the Awqaf edict is a violation of the Elections Law," the lawmaker elaborated. Meanwhile, MP Maasouma Al-Mubarak said that she will put in a request before parliament to bring about legislation that would refer the Awqaf Fatwa to the Constitutional Court, the highest court in Kuwait.

Tantawi is known for his bizarre and abnormal fatwas," MP Hayef added.
Tantawi, head of the Islamic Al-Azhar University, reportedly asked a student to take off her niqab when he spotted her in a classroom at an institute run by the university. The cleric said the niqab was a tradition, not an Islamic obligation. In the Gulf region, the niqab has come to be associated with Salafism, a brand of ultra-conservative Islam practiced mostly in Saudi Arabia and some Gulf states.

Sunni Muslim scholars are divided on whether a woman must cover her face, with the majority saying it is not an obligation, but all mainstream scholars agree a woman must cover her hair and her body with loose fitting clothes. Most Muslim women in Egypt wear the hijab, a veil that covers the hair, but an increase in women wearing the niqab has apparently alarmed the government. The ministry of religious endowments has distributed booklets in mosques against the practice.

In Kuwait, female drivers are barred from wearing the niqab due to security reasons. The regulation came about almost 10 years ago when Kuwaiti security authorities were pursuing sleeper terrorist cells. Authorities feared that the niqab individuals belonging to such cells could use the niqab to pass through checkpoints unnoticed....

The contoyds have not posted anything above the justified the diaster of Iraq, nothing.

The Iraqis look to be at least trying to include Women in their Government and that's much more than i can say for the rest of the Muslim World.
Just more lies and nonsense from the West and the USMB Islam haters.

There is nothing in Islam or the Quran against women rulers.

5 Muslum countries have had women Presidents.

Pakistan (96% Muslim Population)
Indonesia (86.1% Muslim Population)
Turkey (96.6% Muslim Population)
Bangladesh (89% Muslim Population)
Senegal (95 % Muslim Population)

And America has had how many women Presidents???.............................ZERO!!!!

Forum List

Back