Hundreds of foreign students walk off hershey factory jobs

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack
Hundreds of foreign students on a State Department cultural exchange visa program walked off their factory jobs in protest on Wednesday.

The J-1 visa program brings foreign students to the country to work for two months and learn English, and was designed in part to fill seasonal tourism jobs at resorts and seaside towns. The 400 students employed at a Pennsylvania factory that makes Hershey's candies told The New York Times that even though they make $8.35 an hour, their rent and program fees are deducted from their paychecks, leaving them with less money than they spent to get the visas and travel to the country in the first place.

Foreign students walk off Hershey

About 150,000 J-1 visas were given out in 2008. Businesses save about 8 percent by using a foreign worker because of Social Security and other taxes they do not have to pay.

Wow, Republicans come up with all the good scams.

Hundreds of foreign students on a State Department cultural exchange visa program walked off their factory jobs in protest on Wednesday.

The J-1 visa program brings foreign students to the country to work for two months and learn English, and was designed in part to fill seasonal tourism jobs at resorts and seaside towns. The 400 students employed at a Pennsylvania factory that makes Hershey's candies told The New York Times that even though they make $8.35 an hour, their rent and program fees are deducted from their paychecks, leaving them with less money than they spent to get the visas and travel to the country in the first place.

Works for me.... end the program and ship them all home. I am sure there are plenty of people on welfare to fill the jobs.

I smell a rat in the story. Hershey Pa. isn't a seaside town. It's in the area that used to be known as the "rust belt" and unemployment it high.

I smell a rat in the story. Hershey Pa. isn't a seaside town. It's in the area that used to be known as the "rust belt" and unemployment it high.

Naah Hershey is in eastern PA.
Been there.

Works for me.... end the program and ship them all home. I am sure there are plenty of people on welfare to fill the jobs.

Yup... Let Americans looking for work do the jobs....

Plus, they already speak English....

This is the kind of crap that just kills me. WHY should be be doing any kind of exchange work programs when there are plenty of people here who need those very jobs. :cuckoo:

This is the kind of crap that just kills me. WHY should be be doing any kind of exchange work programs when there are plenty of people here who need those very jobs. :cuckoo:

Plenty of willing, unemployed Pennsylvanians waiting for work... Shouldn't be hard to find replacements...

What is the purpose of the exchange visitor program (J-1 Visa program)?

The Exchange Visitor Program fosters global understanding through educational and cultural exchanges. All exchange visitors are expected to return to their home country upon completion of their program in order to share their exchange experiences.

Common Questions | J-1 Visa Basics | J-1 Visa

It's an "educational experience". College students in the U.S. often work at UNPAID internships. No one claims they were supposed to make a boatload of money. If they can't afford it (just like many American kids), then they should work in their home country (where they most likely would get less than $8.25)

Hershey is going to have provide "outreach" to some of the unemployed here. Social experiment failed. It happens. A lot.

Child prostitutes.

Last December, the AP revealed that federal immigration officials were investigating two human-trafficking abuse cases related to J-1 visas. Strip clubs openly solicited J-1 visa holders in job listings, and some foreign students told the AP they were forced into sexual slavery when their passports were confiscated by a ring of criminals. About 150,000 J-1 visas were given out in 2008. Businesses save about 8 percent by using a foreign worker because of Social Security and other taxes they do not have to pay.

Welcome to American NEO-capitalism in action, Kids.

The irony is that Hersheys started out as an UTOPIAN capitalist's vision.

the founder believed that it was his responssibility, as a captain of industry, to provide his workers with a high standard of living.

For example, during the GREAT DEPRESSION, he did not lay off any workers.

Instead, since chocolate sales were down, he put them to work making Hershey PA a workers' paradise.

And then Hershey's went NEO-corporate.

Now it makes much of its product in Mexico.

Too bad, huh?

Bad capitalists drive goods capitalists out of business.

Last edited:

Scroll down about 3/4 of the page for the answer to your question.
HERSHEY'S | The Hershey Company Board of Directors

Plenty of willing, unemployed Pennsylvanians waiting for work... Shouldn't be hard to find replacements...

But your corporate masters love this program.

But your corporate masters love this program.

What does that bullshit have to do with what I said?

Kind of early to be hitting the bong, don't you think?

Forum List

Back