Hundreds honor war hero in St. Maries

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
ST. MARIES, Iadho -- A memorial service with military honors was held for Vernon Baker in St. Maries, Idaho on Saturday. Baker was the only living African-American to receive the medal of honor for his heroic actions during World War II.

Hundreds turned out to honor Vernon's life and military service.

"We should be out here participating and helping out because he helped us and we need to help him," explained Blain Imholt, a young volunteer at the service.
Hundreds honor war hero in St. Maries - News Story - KXLY Spokane

Thank you on behalf of myself and my famly for your service to our nation, and may you rest in peace!

WW2. So few left. What a generation of men and women. The men went off to a war that was neccessary, and the women turned out and built the ships, tanks, and airplanes. May this nation never forget them.

It was also a turning point in the ingrained racism in this nation. For our minorities turned out and fought just as hard for the nation as the rest of the citizens. Attended a talk by a couple of Tuskeegee Airman. It was educational to hear them talk about how much the nation has changed since that war.

My father and five uncles served. Three of them in very active combat. All but two gone now. It will be a poorer world when all these men and women are gone.

ST. MARIES, Iadho -- A memorial service with military honors was held for Vernon Baker in St. Maries, Idaho on Saturday. Baker was the only living African-American to receive the medal of honor for his heroic actions during World War II.

Hundreds turned out to honor Vernon's life and military service.

"We should be out here participating and helping out because he helped us and we need to help him," explained Blain Imholt, a young volunteer at the service.
Hundreds honor war hero in St. Maries - News Story - KXLY Spokane

Thank you on behalf of myself and my famly for your service to our nation, and may you rest in peace!

Amen.

It's my hope that warriors like Vernon Baker are never forgotten and are always honored and as along as we remember their sacrifice then they will always be remembered. Many of these brave souls never returned from the sea's and battlefields of WW2 and are today nameless to many. I am forver thankful for their service to this great nation and one of them in particular, his story was the motivation for my career in the U.S. Navy. His name was Cmdr. Dudley "Mush" Morton who as the skipper of the USS Wahoo during the early years of WW2 was credited with sinking at least 19 Japanese ships and was lost at Sea along with his crew never to return. The Whaoo was recently located in 213 feet of water by the Russian Navy. For his actions he recieved the Navy Cross,Cmdr Morton and Vernon Baker, and the men and women like them are the real hero's of this nation and are people that should be remembered for their courage and sacrifice. Again thank you Vernon Baker for your sacrifice for this great nation your sacrifice and courage will not be forgotten.

Forum List

Back