Humorous Story About the Navy Getting Flamed by SR-71 Pilot

I read somewhere that these things leak fuel when not flying full speed, because of air friction and joint expansion.

I read somewhere that these things leak fuel when not flying full speed, because of air friction and joint expansion.
The gaps built into them for expansion under the heat of high speed closes things up well.

I dont know if they leaked fuel, but they did have air that seeped in and gave an impression of having poor fit and finish that was not merited.

Arrogance goes both ways. It brings to mind the collision between a Marine Corps Phantom and a civilian DC 9 in 1971 over California. The Marine pilot was killed but the navigator parachuted to safety. The navigator testified that the DC9 crashed into the Marine jet but the opposite was true. The navigator had his head in his instruments and the pilot wasn't paying attention when the Marine jet hit the DC9 shearing the cockpit from the rest of the plane. The air traffic controller wasn't aware of the proximity between the Phantom and the DC9 because the civilian radar at the time couldn't track military high speed fighters.

Forum List

Back